Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires switching m340 wheels from square to staggered

03-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
lunar
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

switching m340 wheels from square to staggered

My m340 xDrive came with Pirelli P7 All Season run-flat tires 225/45R18 front and back. I assume this means I have 18x7.5 wheels front and back as well.

I'd like to get a new set of OEM 790m wheels (2 18x7.5 and 2 18x8.5) for Michelin PS4S performance summer non run-flat tires. My plan would be to swap the sets in the spring and fall. Another option would be to just put non run-flat Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on all year around and rotate them accordingly, but I feel maybe this would be sacrificing performance.

Is there something inherent to xdrive that would make this inadvisable or any limitation on doing this I am not seeing? Is the staggered setup meant for RWD m340? Is the square setup preferable with xDrive? Would I be sacrificing much performance by going with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ square setup all year around?

Last edited by lunar; 03-09-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 01:25 AM   #2
BMWEnthuTony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 6MT MG

Garage List
I am exactly in the same boat. Not to Hijack your thread but I am based out of seattle and my intention was to move to staggered 19 inch setup with 225 in front and 255 in rear with Michellin A\S tires for all year. Was planning to keep the current ones in storage for lease return. I also have an XDrive and was wondering whether it is the smart thing to do. My current problem is, slightest of spirited driving in the wet makes the back step out. Although i like the fun of it but would rather have a bit more traction .
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
lunar
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEnthuTony View Post
I am exactly in the same boat. Not to Hijack your thread but I am based out of seattle and my intention was to move to staggered 19 inch setup with 225 in front and 255 in rear with Michellin A\S tires for all year. Was planning to keep the current ones in storage for lease return. I also have an XDrive and was wondering whether it is the smart thing to do. My current problem is, slightest of spirited driving in the wet makes the back step out. Although i like the fun of it but would rather have a bit more traction .
I'd be going with 19" myself possibly if I didn't live in the NYC area. I regularly have to deal with horrendous roads so 18" makes sense.

I believe what we are doing is fine and even optimal. I just wanted to hear it from someone who knows for sure 100%, because there is mention online of past xDrive BMWs not recommending a staggered setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #4
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWEnthuTony View Post
I have the same setup and also had it on my F30 previously (also an xDrive). It's perfect for PNW. No issues with xDrive.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

The M340ix with cooling and high performance tire package, as well as the 330ix m-sport with track handling package, comes with staggered 225/255 PS4S tires. So you’re fine switching from a non-staggered to a staggered tire setup on your M340ix.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2020, 07:35 PM   #6
BMWEnthuTony
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 6MT MG

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I have the same setup and also had it on my F30 previously (also an xDrive). It's perfect for PNW. No issues with xDrive.
Thanks for the validation . Now will head to figuring out the right wheel choice and place to buy.
Appreciate 0