Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Engine Sound Setting Coding Tutorial w/ Bimmercode

04-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #1
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Hey guys, so I figured I'd tell you all how to code this option if you're looking to do exhaust modifications and want to minimize engine sound output digitally. There's actually an effective way to achieve this in iDrive 7 with the help of Bimmercode. I have a muffler delete w/ catless downpipe setup and this setting really helped to minimize the sound output level of my car. I'm on Bootmod3 AGG tune, while the pops and bangs are still there, the engine noise is massively muted in the 'reduced' engine sound setting.

To do this, go into HU_MGU expert mode. Use the search bar at the top of the menu. Type in SOUND and you will see two lines of coding pop up; enable both of these codes, and press code. Attached are results if done correctly, you can access this menu in general settings.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      04-06-2020, 05:51 AM   #2
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 ZHP, 19 X5 xDrive40i

I just turned ASD off altogether.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
I just turned ASD off altogether.
This isn't the ASD module. It's the exterior engine sound setting. This is the actual engine sound, not the artificial in cabin sound. I turned off ASD long ago, this actually changes the sound of your true exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
MF-Racing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

So this controls the flap in the exhaust?
Appreciate 1
g20beam467.50
      04-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF-Racing View Post
So this controls the flap in the exhaust?
From what I've researched that seems to be the case, where our exhaust valve can open at certain angles other than 0 and 90. You can have valves closed in Sport+ or Sport, if that's what you desire. It will stay configured in that setting until the next time you start the car, where it defaults back to 'depending on driving mode'.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
MF-Racing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

I have my flap unplugged and open all the time. Don't think i can be bothered changing it each time I start car. I'll leave it as is. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF-Racing View Post
I have my flap unplugged and open all the time. Don't think i can be bothered changing it each time I start car. I'll leave it as is. Thanks
Yea, this is only aimed at people with exhaust mods, my car shoots gunshots in Sport+ downshifting or upshifting beyond 3k RPM.

Also at 3k RPM is a lot of engine sound as well, closing valves in Sport+ keeps my driving mode but mutes my sound just ever so slightly, helps to not be super obnoxious when I'm driving
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #8
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I wonder what the parameters are for each setting?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 10:33 AM   #9
Donia330i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 330i BSM

Any way to make it louder? Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd92 View Post
I wonder what the parameters are for each setting?
It's just an on-off switch in expert mode. Default is disabled, enable it when coding
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donia330i View Post
Any way to make it louder? Lol
There are 4 options in there.

Depending on driving mode
Sporty
Balanced
Reduced

If you put it in Sporty the valve will always be 100% open, so it would be louder across all your driving modes, including comfort.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #12
todd92
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I meant what RPM opening, % opening etc for each setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #13
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
From what I've researched that seems to be the case, where our exhaust valve can open at certain angles other than 0 and 90. You can have valves closed in Sport+ or Sport, if that's what you desire. It will stay configured in that setting until the next time you start the car, where it defaults back to 'depending on driving mode'.
Is there anyway to make it stick... so it doesn't go back to 'depending on driving mode'?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #14
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Quote:
Is there anyway to make it stick... so it doesn't go back to 'depending on driving mode'?
So far I haven't found a way to make it stick. Don't think it's possible even with BM3 you can only get valves closed or open for a max of 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #15
mrjonesg20
United_States
Rep
Drives: g20 330i M sport sunset orange

Quote:
Hey guys, so I figured I'd tell you all how to code this option if you're looking to do exhaust modifications and want to minimize engine sound output digitally. There's actually an effective way to achieve this in iDrive 7 with the help of Bimmercode. I have a muffler delete w/ catless downpipe setup and this setting really helped to minimize the sound output level of my car. I'm on Bootmod3 AGG tune, while the pops and bangs are still there, the engine noise is massively muted in the 'reduced' engine sound setting.

To do this, go into HU_MGU expert mode. Use the search bar at the top of the menu. Type in SOUND and you will see two lines of coding pop up; enable both of these codes, and press code. Attached are results if done correctly, you can access this menu in general settings.

Enjoy!
Hey , I've successfully coded the engine sound menu, while i was doing it I found another option named; M_SOUND, anyone knows what that does?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #16
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesg20 View Post
Hey , I've successfully coded the engine sound menu, while i was doing it I found another option named; M_SOUND, anyone knows what that does?
Totally OT but I know in F30 cars there was an option to code different car sounds to play via ASD. I saw a video where a 430i or something was coded to sound like an M4 inside. Probably something like that?
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 01:09 AM   #17
Misko_Hryzko
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW 320i  [0.00]
I have beginners question. How can you search in the BimmerCode ? I've downloaded full version and enabled beta testing mode. Found OBDLink MX+ by chance at home and started coding. Easy changes were super fast but I am not able to search for anything. Manually I found M_SOUND but this is not enabling engine sound profiles in general settings. Can you give me a hint what exactly shall I change in the HU_MGU expert mode please ?

I have activated:
BDM / 3221 PfFesMaster / FesSportWorldMode1 -> SportExpert (0x02)
BDM / 3221 PfFesMaster / FesComfortWorldMode1 -> ComfortPlus (0x05)

Now I can activate these modes. I cannot feel difference between Comfort+ and Comfort. Maybe + is holding rpm high slightly longer after overtaking.
Sport+ is holding rpm significantly higher what is giving proper sporty feel but it doesn't increase power by any mean. Unfortunately engine and exhaust sound didn't change and I am still missing any pops and crackles. Maybe because my 320i is 1 week old with only 800km ?

I am not giving up. This is my very first day with BimmerCode and I love it. Especially after dealer's response that it is impossible to deactivate Start/Stop and I was able to do it in 3 minutes thanks to you guys
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:31 AM   #18
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko_Hryzko View Post
I have beginners question. How can you search in the BimmerCode ? I've downloaded full version and enabled beta testing mode. Found OBDLink MX+ by chance at home and started coding. Easy changes were super fast but I am not able to search for anything. Manually I found M_SOUND but this is not enabling engine sound profiles in general settings. Can you give me a hint what exactly shall I change in the HU_MGU expert mode please ?

I have activated:
BDM / 3221 PfFesMaster / FesSportWorldMode1 -> SportExpert (0x02)
BDM / 3221 PfFesMaster / FesComfortWorldMode1 -> ComfortPlus (0x05)

Now I can activate these modes. I cannot feel difference between Comfort+ and Comfort. Maybe + is holding rpm high slightly longer after overtaking.
Sport+ is holding rpm significantly higher what is giving proper sporty feel but it doesn't increase power by any mean. Unfortunately engine and exhaust sound didn't change and I am still missing any pops and crackles. Maybe because my 320i is 1 week old with only 800km ?

I am not giving up. This is my very first day with BimmerCode and I love it. Especially after dealer's response that it is impossible to deactivate Start/Stop and I was able to do it in 3 minutes thanks to you guys
It's in HMI_SPEECH. I'm sorry for not specifying, I forgot where exactly as well and I didn't take screenshots, so I didn't manage to get the specific codes. I'm pretty sure both lines are in HMI_SPEECH. Let me know if you get it.

To search, you probably have to be in iOS, but you just scroll to the top and there's a search bar. Also, I think there are significant differences between 320i and 330i in terms of DME coding. You must get a flash tune or JB4 to get pops and bangs, I'm pretty sure the engine is tuned differently in a 320i and does NOT leave unburnt fuel in the cylinders, that's why you get no pops. I'd suggest going for BM3 if you want more power and to change the sound of the car. The gains are super worth it in a 320i. I don't know what the differences are in engine parts but I'm about to find out through research, I'll let you know soon after doing the research.

Reason for understanding engine parts:
Reliability may be drastically affected in a 320i, since the engine parts may be inferior to 330i since the DME is undertuned, even though both are the same engine designs with a twin scroll turbo.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #19
Misko_Hryzko
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW 320i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's in HMI_SPEECH. I'm sorry for not specifying, I forgot where exactly as well and I didn't take screenshots, so I didn't manage to get the specific codes. I'm pretty sure both lines are in HMI_SPEECH. Let me know if you get it.

To search, you probably have to be in iOS, but you just scroll to the top and there's a search bar. Also, I think there are significant differences between 320i and 330i in terms of DME coding. You must get a flash tune or JB4 to get pops and bangs, I'm pretty sure the engine is tuned differently in a 320i and does NOT leave unburnt fuel in the cylinders, that's why you get no pops. I'd suggest going for BM3 if you want more power and to change the sound of the car. The gains are super worth it in a 320i. I don't know what the differences are in engine parts but I'm about to find out through research, I'll let you know soon after doing the research.

Reason for understanding engine parts:
Reliability may be drastically affected in a 320i, since the engine parts may be inferior to 330i since the DME is undertuned, even though both are the same engine designs with a twin scroll turbo.
Hi. I've found both lines for Sound under HMI_SPEECH and activated them. Inside of the sub-folders the search bar appears. Now I have the Engine sound modes. With "Sporty" setting and Sport Plus mode I still don't have any pops and crackles with warmed up engine
I am sure 320i is having it. I got a test drive on standard (non M packet) version and it banged like crazy. I order mine straight away and it comes without popcorn sound. I'll continue with powerbox installation once I have 2000km. CPA Ultra from Germany is already waiting for it.
I have to be careful with any mods because dealer clearly claimed any HW or SW modification will lead to loss of 5y warranty.
BTW: FES_SPORT_EXPERT is nice bonus for iDrive
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #20
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Menu Does Appear

g20beam ,

Well, I coded the two SOUND items in HMI_SPEECH section of Head unit of my M340, using Bimmercode expert mode-- no problem.

Menu shows up, but I can't tell difference in engine sound. Is there another function to code in another module?

Thanks

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #21
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSnic View Post
g20beam ,

Well, I coded the two SOUND items in HMI_SPEECH section of Head unit of my M340, using Bimmercode expert mode-- no problem.

Menu shows up, but I can't tell difference in engine sound. Is there another function to code in another module?

Thanks
You sure there is no difference if you put it into Sport/Sport+ and choose 'Reduced'? Pretty sure there's a difference when compared to 'Sporty'.

Might not be too different without aftermarket exhaust though.

Last edited by g20beam; 04-07-2020 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 06:28 PM   #22
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesg20 View Post
Quote:

Enjoy!
Lol I already tried and coded this, didn't seem to make any difference on my car so I switched it back to not active