BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Confess here

04-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #3675
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

lockdown can't go on past mid may.

people will just have to use some godam common sense, and take their asses back to work. it's that simple.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #3676
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
lockdown can't go on past mid may.

people will just have to use some godam common sense, and take their asses back to work. it's that simple.
Based on?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #3677
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinonz View Post
Yes - but what happens when a million fewer people are paying in because they no longer get a paycheck, and now those million people are expecting to get UE? Suddenly you have a MASSIVE shortfall that has to be made up by someone - probably the Federal government, with another trillion or two in debt.

The week before the lockdown I had a company out installing cabinets and siding and floors in my garages here. Was 2 guys, we didn't shake hands, kept a social distance, only entered the garage never the house etc. but now that company is shut down, the 2 guys have been let go so are claiming UE, but in reality they could have continued working safely without endangering anyone. So really the regulations just added unnecessary pressure to the UE system, the owner of that company, and all for no good reason.
I think we're rapidly approaching the threshold where the cure becomes worse than the ailment. Let's get back to work. People will die, yes. And that's tragic. But ruining hundreds of millions of lives isn't a good trade for saving 10 or 20 thousand lives. Sorry if that seems callous, but there you have it.
Bunnny219.50
      04-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #3678
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
I think we're rapidly approaching the threshold where the cure becomes worse than the ailment. Let's get back to work. People will die, yes. And that's tragic. But ruining hundreds of millions of lives isn't a good trade for saving 10 or 20 thousand lives. Sorry if that seems callous, but there you have it.
I can see that side too. I wonder if the US in fact did too little too late, which means it's ineffective, but just enough for cause a lot of financial loss and pain for a lot of people, who are likely to rebel.

NZ went into full lockdown a week or so back, everything closed. Guards at the entrances to communities making sure nobody comes or goes without cause. All groceries are delivery only. And for the most part the country hunkered down and are dealing with it. Here - I've read rants from people "last time i checked it was a god-damned free country and I'll go for a drive if I want to" - which only perpetuates the problem and makes it go on longer.

I think you will have to wait until there's been a decline in cases before the stay at home orders are lifted, but I can see people going stir-crazy and making their own rules before that.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
      04-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #3679
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Based on?

based on the fact that over 3 million people filed for unemployment in the first two weeks of Covid half ass "lockdown" leading one to believe, that hardly anyone in this country has any money saved. So how long do you think people/businesses can go on like this?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #3680
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can see that side too. I wonder if the US in fact did too little too late, which means it's ineffective, but just enough for cause a lot of financial loss and pain for a lot of people, who are likely to rebel.

NZ went into full lockdown a week or so back, everything closed. Guards at the entrances to communities making sure nobody comes or goes without cause. All groceries are delivery only. And for the most part the country hunkered down and are dealing with it. Here - I've read rants from people "last time i checked it was a god-damned free country and I'll go for a drive if I want to" - which only perpetuates the problem and makes it go on longer.

I think you will have to wait until there's been a decline in cases before the stay at home orders are lifted, but I can see people going stir-crazy and making their own rules before that.
Here in Minnesota we've got the advantage of the isolating/insulating factor of being in the middle of the country. We shut things down early on, at least in terms of percentage of people here who had tested positive. It appears we "flattened the curve," to use the current parlance. Clearly there are areas elsewhere where it had already gotten a firm foothold before anything effective was done. I'm empathetic to the people in those areas. We were fortunate to get out in front of it. Our governor has done a great job handling things.
      04-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #3681
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post

Hind sight is always 20/20 vision. Americans have been trading life for freedom since it began and I hope we continue to do so for many years to come. Locking down NZ is not the same as locking down the US. My family is being responsible but I am not calling the cops when my neighbors lawn crew shows up to do their maintenance. Millions will die if our economy falls too far and not just in the US. We just have to find the balance.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #3682
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
based on the fact that over 3 million people filed for unemployment in the first two weeks of Covid half ass "lockdown" leading one to believe, that hardly anyone in this country has any money saved. So how long do you think people/businesses can go on like this?
Being jobless and filing for unemployment doesn't mean someone has no savings. If someone has paid boatloads of taxes and now has a chance to get some of them back, why wouldn't they? I sure would, if I was eligible.
ny325895.00
King Rudi13152.00
      04-07-2020, 02:41 AM   #3683
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Not many people are familiar with that tradition. I worked with a German friend years ago, and he was always mistaken for single as he had no ring on his left hand.
Thats right, normally in Germany its vice versa to your traditions and I confess at my last marriage we had worn the wedding rings onto the right hands as rest of all.
We'd discussed this before our wedding and decided, that our love was coming from our hearts and left is the heart side so to speak, the left ring finger is the elongated line from the heart.
Sound sentimental maybe, but those were our thoughts.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
dinonz3214.00
      04-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #3684
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think filing for unemployment correlates to savings - correlates to the number of people laid off.
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #3685
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think filing for unemployment correlates to savings - correlates to the number of people laid off.
This. It has nothing to do with savings. People don't get laid off then go "nah, I didn't need that income anyway, I'll just dip into my savings until this is all over".

With that said, there are a good number of people who don't know shit about finances and literally live day to day on their paycheck. I'm not talking about the people who are in bad life situations, I'm talking about the ones who make good money and after a week of no work would be 100% screwed.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13152.00
Rmtt8206.00
      04-07-2020, 11:21 AM   #3686
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
This. It has nothing to do with savings. People don't get laid off then go "nah, I didn't need that income anyway, I'll just dip into my savings until this is all over".

With that said, there are a good number of people who don't know shit about finances and literally live day to day on their paycheck. I'm not talking about the people who are in bad life situations, I'm talking about the ones who make good money and after a week of no work would be 100% screwed.
I have one up the hall from me. He makes about 20% less than I do annually ....and he's constantly broke and complaining about it.

How in the hell are you constantly broke when you make 100,XXX a year?

We got our bonuses at the 1st of March. His is gone. I still have every bonus I received for the last 5 years put away.

I admit I'm a cheap bastard, but that is ridiculous.

**edit** And we live in an area where the cost of living is cheaper than anything you could imagine!
      04-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #3687
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I have one up the hall from me. He makes about 20% less than I do annually ....and he's constantly broke and complaining about it.

How in the hell are you constantly broke when you make 100,XXX a year?

We got our bonuses at the 1st of March. His is gone. I still have every bonus I received for the last 5 years put away.

I admit I'm a cheap bastard, but that is ridiculous.

**edit** And we live in an area where the cost of living is cheaper than anything you could imagine!
When I visited the Carolinas last summer I was in heaven. People were so nice and I filled the tank of my car and thought there was an issue with the pump because the total was so low.

It's not even about being cheap. I would consider myself "frugal" in that I try to save where I can and spend my money on things I enjoy like my hobbies or fun trips. It's just about being smart. If one loses their job or gets laid off ideally you would like to have enough savings to live for 6 months before you find something else. Most people I know could live for about 6 days or until their first car payment. This is exactly how you become a slave to your job. The more prepared you are financially, the less stress you have.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      04-08-2020, 09:47 AM   #3688
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Music soothes

I know we were talking about Chris Cornell last week but not sure which thread it's in. Listened to the CD going home last night and found I am the Highway very calming. Yesterday morning was Ray Charles and this morning BB King.

That is all.

And yes, I still do CDs. Get off my lawn.
King Rudi13152.00
Dang3r12503.00
      04-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #3689
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I know we were talking about Chris Cornell last week but not sure which thread it's in. Listened to the CD going home last night and found I am the Highway very calming. Yesterday morning was Ray Charles and this morning BB King.

That is all.

I was listening to "Show me how to live" yesterday on my way home.

Cool video as well.
      04-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #3690
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
I still have full gas tank and driven only 7 miles in 4 weeks.
I miss driving my slow X3 lol
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 11:21 AM   #3691
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

That is all.

My husband and I were in his truck the other day headed to the river and he said let's pull out CD's & see what's on them. It was the random ones you used to create and never knew what song was coming next. I kinda miss that.
Appreciate 4
cmyx6go15560.00
nyalpine907380.00
King Rudi13152.00
      04-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #3692
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
My husband and I were in his truck the other day headed to the river and he said let's pull out CD's & see what's on them. It was the random ones you used to create and never knew what song was coming next. I kinda miss that.
Fellow female member?
      04-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #3693
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Fellow female member?
Please tell me you didn't just assume her gender.......dammit
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
cmyx6go15560.00
      04-08-2020, 12:11 PM   #3694
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Please tell me you didn't just assume her gender.......dammit
I put a question mark
Rmtt8206.00
      04-08-2020, 12:12 PM   #3695
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
Fellow female member?
Yes ma'am
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
cmyx6go15560.00
      04-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #3696
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I put a question mark
I'll allow it then.

.....was hoping you'd notice the "her" I added in my comment.
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15560.00