Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics General climate control question

11-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
rajens00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330xi

Garage List
General climate control question

In all my previous BMWs over the past 20 years I've always left the Air recirculate button on and then it stayed on until I changed it which I rarely did. I did this because I thought the cabin filter was cleaning the air inside.

However now when I turn on recirculate in the G20 It automatically turns itself off after 10 or 15 minutes and changes the setting to automatic mode from recirculate mode.

The onboard users manual seems to suggest that this is by design because allowing in fresh air is healthier.

The function has three settings:
1. Recirculate
2. Automatic
3. Fresh air

So my questions are:

What's the difference between re-circulate and automatic if recirculate does not stick and changes back to automatic.

Does your G 20 climate control also behave this way. If you change it to recirculate will it remain in that setting for days weeks or until you change it?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:53 PM   #2
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

The automatic switch back sounds familiar to me. Had it also with my Volvo and vw but never tried in the bmw.

The manual is right about fresh. Recirculate is used to prevent bad air coming in. Not sure if it even passes the filter.
I would always prefer filtered fresh air above reused air.
      11-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Automatic detects bad, polluted, air and then automatically goes to recirculate. But when the bad air condition is over it reverts to fresh air. It's always best to have fresh air in the car. Keeps humidity low and oxygen high.
      11-20-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
rajens00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
Automatic detects bad, polluted, air and then automatically goes to recirculate. But when the bad air condition is over it reverts to fresh air. It's always best to have fresh air in the car. Keeps humidity low and oxygen high.
Makes perfect sense. Thank you
Appreciate 0