Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Car Magazine: Next generation M5 will feature both PHEV and BEV models

05-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E64 630i Sport & E46 330i Inv

Garage List
Car Magazine: Next generation M5 will feature both PHEV and BEV models

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The V8 PHEV M powertrain is not new news, but a BEV M would be a big step. They also discuss some details on the type of batteries / power delivery to be used.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/bmw/m5/

Quote:
New 2024 BMW M5 to be fully electrified

► F90 M5 facelift is almost here
► But what's next is more exciting
► 2024's G60-gen M5 to go electric

BMW is finalising its facelifted F90 M5, as seen in these latest images of a lightly-camo’d pre-production car, to tie in with the update with the regular car.

And while expected, it’s not exactly a dramatic change for Munich’s super saloon. The entirely new, next generation model is a different story, however. Why? Because it’s expected to be the first M car to be exclusively electrified – either as a ‘Power PHEV’ or full-electric car.

Labelled G60, the next 5-series bows in the third quarter of 2023. One year later, the seventh-generation M5 will start chasing fast Audis and Mercs with these two variants. The plug-in hybrid will use the same powertrain as the upcoming X8 M, with a V8 petrol engine and e-motors totalling around 750bhp and 737lb ft of torque sent to all four wheels.

2024's all-electric M5

The zero-emission M5, meanwhile, is a member of the CLAR WE family. Power will be provided by Gen V pouch-type batteries. Although BMW knows that it would have been wiser to switch to larger Tesla-style round cells for safety, stability and performance reasons, it is now too late for such a radical change. The most potent conventional energy cell in question is rated at 135kWh; it can be hooked up to a 400V charger good for up to 350kW. In a second step, BMW will upgrade to the 800V standard pioneered by Porsche with its Taycan.

The maximum projected WLTP range is 435miles, the targeted 0-62mph acceleration time is 2.9sec. In terms of power output, internal documents suggest two 250kW motors driving the rear wheels and one 250kW unit propelling the fronts. That's 750kW or 1006bhp in total – that may sound awesome, but it will in less than twelve months be eclipsed by Tesla's tri-motor Plaid configuration.

Comments a member of the M Division R&D team: “The Bavarian Motor Works are latecomers to the EV scene, and the same applies unfortunately to autonomous driving. Mid-term, our only stable competitive advantage is ride, handling and roadholding. But the biggest challenge by far is cost, which is why the board has buried the projected halo car.”

BMW Group's electric roadmap

The halo car, which was expected to be based on the Vision M Next concept, has been canned.

Given the electric M5's use of the CLAR WE architecture, there will be commonality with other zero-emission models from BMW Group. BMW has already been spotted testing the CLAR WE platform via some 7-series mules (above).

This extends to the 7-series eDrive out in 2023 and, eventually, the current Phantom which goes electric in very small numbers starting in 2022. A silent Cullinan is due to follow in 2027.

My (mainly) BMW gallery: http://jetone.co.uk

Previous : E90 ///M3 | F20 M135i | E63 630i | E65 730d | Plus many 3 and 5er's
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

A G60 i5 BEV is not hard to believe. And a high output version of that car is a logical next step.

However, at this point I would still stop short of expecting a BEV to be branded as an M5 as soon as next generation. It is not impossible of course, but I suspect the PHEV model alone to wear that name. Now, does that mean there will be no M branding on the high output i5? No. In fact, it seems likely at this point. And perhaps it will be named something new and more exciting than simply "i5 M". But not M5, IMHO - not yet. Post 2030? Yes.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #3
Teutonic
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

It can be the fastest, the nicest, the whatever.
Once they go electric, I am out.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #4
clutchdj
Major
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Yah, fully electric anything ///M is unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:39 PM   #5
jstein55
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz

Garage List
I would only be interested if they added more character or flair/drama to the M5. It may beat a lot of cars in a straight line, but its too numb and easy.
      Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #6
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

A 435 mile battery would put them on top of Tesla along with being able to connect to a 400v charger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0