Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Advice regarding wax/polish?

01-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #1
LeeJ76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Accord, Odyssey, XC60

Advice regarding wax/polish?

Hello all. I have brand new phytonic blue 330xi. Love the color. However, in the light it really shows lots of light scratches, swirls, etc. I would like to get rid of all of this that I can. Any advice regarding products and how I should go about this? I already have some Mother’s Carnauba Cleaner Wax and some Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax. I haven’t tried either yet.

I appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 01:52 AM   #2
gavinwong
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
2020 G20 330e  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeJ76 View Post
Hello all. I have brand new phytonic blue 330xi. Love the color. However, in the light it really shows lots of light scratches, swirls, etc. I would like to get rid of all of this that I can. Any advice regarding products and how I should go about this? I already have some Mother’s Carnauba Cleaner Wax and some Turtle Wax Ice Spray Wax. I haven’t tried either yet.

I appreciate your help!
I'm a big fan of meguiars products. Ultimate polish and liquid wax are pretty good, even by using a hand applicator. If you've got just certain trouble spots, then meguiars scratch x2.0 is more abrasive as I believe it's more of a compound.
I've recently been using the 3-in-1 meguiars polish and wax to save time and pretty impressed with it. Water beading isn't as good as the ultimate wax, but the deep colour pop I get on my portimao blue is really good.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2022, 03:31 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

For scratches I think you are looking at detailing. Some polish may help disguise it but they will still be there

The trick is to clean it correctly , as that is where most damage is done

There will be experts on these forums but the basics if you care about the finish are
Don't let anyone clean your car , including the bmw dealers
Don't use a sponge
Don't use a chamois to run and dry the paintwork
Pat the car dry using a micro fibre cloth, don't run

Any running of the paintworks risk minuscule particles of dirt which scratch and cause these swirl marks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
For scratches I think you are looking at detailing. Some polish may help disguise it but they will still be there

The trick is to clean it correctly , as that is where most damage is done

There will be experts on these forums but the basics if you care about the finish are
Don't let anyone clean your car , including the bmw dealers
Don't use a sponge
Don't use a chamois to run and dry the paintwork
Pat the car dry using a micro fibre cloth, don't run

Any running of the paintworks risk minuscule particles of dirt which scratch and cause these swirl marks
This x2 - Additionally, instead of drying a car with a plush microfiber towel, you can invest into a leaf blower such as the EGO series which are all highly recommended from the youtube detailers.

OP - If swirls already exist, then you will definitely need a detail/paint correction. If you have not done paint correction yourself, it may be worth while to hire a professional to do so. Light swirls - 1 stage correction ; Heavy swirls / imperfections - multiple stage correction and higher $ cost of course.

Unless you have fun detailing your own car as I do, it is not worth investing into the equipment to do it yourself. I would hire someone if you don't already have the necessary tools to paint correct yourself.
AP2858.00
      02-02-2022, 12:48 AM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

+1
Once detailed and the paint perfect, it's all in the cleaning methodology

I do cringe when I see people with nice cars taking them to a automatic car wash or a hand wash place and see the damage that is being done.

These are worth a watch

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 05:49 AM   #6
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Good info in this vid. I swear by Adam's polishes products.

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 09:38 AM   #7
Haywood187
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
All excellent advice in this thread. Washing is key to maintaining the paint once you have things corrected. I have had great success with paint correction on my 2014 335xi. Chemical Guys VSS along with their V36 and V38 for tougher areas left mine amazingly clean for an 8 year old car. I wouldn't call myself a rookie with detailing (been doing it for years) but I'm not an expert. I agree with above though, if you don't have the equipment/supplies/time to do it, getting the correction done by a professional may be best choice. Washing, decontaminating, claying, polishing, waxing....it can be a lot of work and a heck of a process. The results though, are amazing!!

Side profile outside.

Reflection off hood in garage.

Retired - 2014 335i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #8
UWBadger
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I use Menzerna polishes and Meguiars pro line for everything else. I invested in a Griots Garage DA polisher probably 10 years ago and it's been a game changer for me. This was my 2016 mythos black metallic S3
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 10:07 PM   #9
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Are you planning to do the maintenance washes yourself, have someone do that for you, or go through tunnel washes regularly?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 06:43 PM   #10
LeeJ76
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Accord, Odyssey, XC60

All of this is so helpful. I appreciate it. By the way, I’m envious of the shine you guys have gotten.

I realize now I need to try to paint correct first. I use a pretty high quality car wash. Not touch less, but very gentle. I used to wash by hand only, but life is way busier than it used to be. I know Carwashes are of the devil.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 06:10 PM   #11
SoCalM340i
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW M340i xDrive

Congrats on the ride, sorry to hear about the light scratches and swirls. The basic steps to correct those issues, which are common on all cars eventually is like this:

1. Wash car (I used Meguiar's Gold Class wash with a micro fiber sponge)
2. Polish car (Meguiar's or Adam's Polishes works great here). This is the step where the spider webs and swirls get removed. You might need a DA orbital buffer to really help you get the polish out after it's applied.
3. Wax car (this step seals in the car's polished clear coat from scratches, etc.)

I've noticed that on a black on black car with severe scratches/spider webs and swirls, it's best to hire a professional. They have access to products we don't and they have the tools and expertise to cure the problem. Then after the detail, use the steps I mentioned above to maintain your newly detailed car. Hope this helps.
      02-18-2022, 12:21 PM   #12
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm on my 3rd black car so I've had to deal with this a whole lot. Took me a while to figure out how to get it perfect. Try using meguiars m205 with a white chemical guys hex logic pad (light polishing). Anything that doesn't come out, step it up to the orange (medium cutting) with m205. if it's still not coming out at that point, move to meguiars m105. Then follow up with the white pad/m205. Like others have said, key is preparation. Make sure your car is completely clean and prepped before starting.

This process is time consuming for sure, especially on black. As said above, a professional detail would probably be the best solution if you are unfamiliar/uncomfortable with polishing.

After finishing correction, I'd follow up with a wax or ceramic coating. Mother's cmx is a great DIY option as a booster or standalone. Super easy to apply.

Hope this helps!

Meguiar's M20508 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish, 8 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LMJP4Q...PKN3GXTZKQSM7G

Limited-time deal: Chemical Guys BUFX_104_HEX5 Hex-Logic Light-Medium Polishing Pad, White, 5.5" Pad Made for 5" Backing Plates https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041MVQ4M...W3NNVRFFGA6W96

Edit: also make sure you have clean, new microfibers! I like the chemical guys ones.

Sonax products are fantastic as well. If you have thicker swirls and scratches and prefer a one step compound, I've had great results on my last 330 with Scholl S20

Scholl Concepts S20 Black 1Kg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018B852UU...J2KVJYRHWHX9S9
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 02:31 PM   #13
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
I'm on my 3rd black car so I've had to deal with this a whole lot. Took me a while to figure out how to get it perfect. Try using meguiars m205 with a white chemical guys hex logic pad (light polishing). Anything that doesn't come out, step it up to the orange (medium cutting) with m205. if it's still not coming out at that point, move to meguiars m105. Then follow up with the white pad/m205. Like others have said, key is preparation. Make sure your car is completely clean and prepped before starting.

This process is time consuming for sure, especially on black. As said above, a professional detail would probably be the best solution if you are unfamiliar/uncomfortable with polishing.

After finishing correction, I'd follow up with a wax or ceramic coating. Mother's cmx is a great DIY option as a booster or standalone. Super easy to apply.

Hope this helps!

Meguiar's M20508 Mirror Glaze Ultra Finishing Polish, 8 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LMJP4Q...PKN3GXTZKQSM7G

Limited-time deal: Chemical Guys BUFX_104_HEX5 Hex-Logic Light-Medium Polishing Pad, White, 5.5" Pad Made for 5" Backing Plates https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041MVQ4M...W3NNVRFFGA6W96

Edit: also make sure you have clean, new microfibers! I like the chemical guys ones.

Sonax products are fantastic as well. If you have thicker swirls and scratches and prefer a one step compound, I've had great results on my last 330 with Scholl S20

Scholl Concepts S20 Black 1Kg https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018B852UU...J2KVJYRHWHX9S9
My man! I just polished with m205 yesterday and finished with p21s carnauba wax. Great results! Might I add that the TORQ 10FX random orbital polisher works great with the meguiars m205. The m205 doesnÂ’t make too much dust and wipes off clean and easy. ItÂ’s almost impossible to mess up with a good random orbital polisher using a light cut polishing compound like the m205. It all makes for a stress free and enjoyable experience.

A car only has a finite amount of clear coat, would rather polish lightly on an as-needed basis year after year and remove 85 to 90% of imperfections than try deep cutting to chase after maybe an extra 5% perfection and prematurely wearing through my clear coat.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 12:26 PM   #14
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post

Hope this helps!

My man! I just polished with m205 yesterday and finished with p21s carnauba wax. Great results! Might I add that the TORQ 10FX random orbital polisher works great with the meguiars m205. The m205 doesn't make too much dust and wipes off clean and easy. It's almost impossible to mess up with a good random orbital polisher using a light cut polishing compound like the m205. It all makes for a stress free and enjoyable experience.

A car only has a finite amount of clear coat, would rather polish lightly on an as-needed basis year after year and remove 85 to 90% of imperfections than try deep cutting to chase after maybe an extra 5% perfection and prematurely wearing through my clear coat.
Totally agree! You definitely want to save as much clear coat as you can! I feel bad for whoever got my last 330, that thing probably has like no clear coat left. So much trial and error learning how to detail right lol. Last tip for getting that flawless finish, I've been using a rupes white pad with menzerna 3800 lately. Finish is perfect after using and the polish is very minimally abrasive. So minimal that it probably won't even cut through a 9H ceramic coating. It can remove very fine swirls but nothing heavier as it's a jeweling/finishing polish but the gloss factor is insane. Follow up with a ceramic coating and you got yourself a show car!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 04:21 PM   #15
Emily172013
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i BMW 330ci

All good advise. I use a blow dryer along with a towel. My old leaf blower was replaced with a new one, same model. I kept the old nozzle and cut it down to about 8in to use on the car.
Appreciate 0