Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Headlight Fade - 2020 M340i

09-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #45
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbiejones View Post
Appreciate the kind words! Keep in mind the fading was located internally to the lens not externally, which does not allow for buffing - hence the reason for the replacement.
Ohh! I missed that. Thanks for clarifying.
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #46
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
Quote:
Appreciate the kind words! Keep in mind the fading was located internally to the lens not externally, which does not allow for buffing - hence the reason for the replacement.
Ohh! I missed that. Thanks for clarifying.
No worries - just wanted to make sure you knew the actual issue
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #47
tailstrike
Rep
Drives: M340

Thanks for posting about your experience, it was really helpful. I have been experiencing the same problem with my lights as well. Took to the dealership, who ultimately denied my warranty claim via the regional rep "the haze is not a defect but the effects of outside environmental conditions."

Just filed a formal complaint with BMW of NA today. They were hesitant at first, stating that the process they would go through is essentially the same process the dealership goes through. I insisted since it's ridiculous that a 3 year old car that shows no effects of sun damage has faded/hazy headlights on the exact same spot, on both sides, where the amber parking lights are. It looks like the amber parking lights are burning the housing. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-21-2022, 03:47 PM   #48
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailstrike View Post
Thanks for posting about your experience, it was really helpful. I have been experiencing the same problem with my lights as well. Took to the dealership, who ultimately denied my warranty claim via the regional rep "the haze is not a defect but the effects of outside environmental conditions."

Just filed a formal complaint with BMW of NA today. They were hesitant at first, stating that the process they would go through is essentially the same process the dealership goes through. I insisted since it's ridiculous that a 3 year old car that shows no effects of sun damage has faded/hazy headlights on the exact same spot, on both sides, where the amber parking lights are. It looks like the amber parking lights are burning the housing. Fingers crossed.
No worries - that is why we posted threads like this, to ensure everyone is aware and knowledgeable about certain situations. Yeah, I didn't have a positive experience with BMW USA but maybe your experience will be more in your favor. For me, the dealership who actually wanted to help their client, was able to stronghold the regional rep who finally agreed to replace the lights under warranty. Your best bet is to locate another dealership who has a willingness to help you.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 12:53 AM   #49
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Took to the dealership, who ultimately denied my warranty claim via the regional rep "the haze is not a defect but the effects of outside environmental conditions."
Looks like your regional rep had lost their cognitive abilities due the outside environmental conditions (climate change?).

Sorry you're going through this - is your car a 2020 model?
      10-30-2022, 08:06 AM   #50
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
Quote:
Took to the dealership, who ultimately denied my warranty claim via the regional rep "the haze is not a defect but the effects of outside environmental conditions."
Looks like your regional rep had lost their cognitive abilities due the outside environmental conditions (climate change?).

I was informed by the SA that BMW has a pictorial type list that displays light defects that warrant replacement and defects that do not. He also stated, the fading which we are experiencing is not within this list so the BME rep errored on the side of caution.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2022, 06:05 PM   #51
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

If it's oxidation from outside elements that's just consider wear and tear. Now if the issue is inside the lens. The dealership should replace under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 07:11 PM   #52
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedina View Post
If it's oxidation from outside elements that's just consider wear and tear. Now if the issue is inside the lens. The dealership should replace under warranty.
Lol, you obviously did not read the thread in it's entirety……
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 04:37 AM   #53
rmedina
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Quote:
You are correct my friend.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 06:51 AM   #54
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedina View Post
Quote:
You are correct my friend.
At least your honest
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 04:30 AM   #55
tailstrike
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
No worries - that is why we posted threads like this, to ensure everyone is aware and knowledgeable about certain situations. Yeah, I didn't have a positive experience with BMW USA but maybe your experience will be more in your favor. For me, the dealership who actually wanted to help their client, was able to stronghold the regional rep who finally agreed to replace the lights under warranty. Your best bet is to locate another dealership who has a willingness to help you.
Called in a complaint with BMW NA, also didn't have a very pleasant experience - going to follow up with them again soon and see where it's going. Unfortunately, I'm in Hawaii - and there's just one dealership on the island.

Quote:

Agreed. Yeah, it's a 2020 model. Early 2019 build date.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #56
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Called in a complaint with BMW NA, also didn't have a very pleasant experience - going to follow up with them again soon and see where it's going. Unfortunately, I'm in Hawaii - and there's just one dealership on the island.

Quote:

Agreed. Yeah, it's a 2020 model. Early 2019 build date.
Unfortunately, my experience with BMW NA was also not the most pleasant of experiences! I truly wish you the best of luck with your journey; keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2024, 02:38 PM   #57
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bumping this one as I also have this issue with my driver's side laser on my '21. Planning to talk to the dealer soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by B58-M340iX; 01-14-2024 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 09:09 AM   #58
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-M340iX View Post
Bumping this one as I also have this issue with my driver's side laser on my '21. Planning to talk to the dealer soon.
Just make sure you have a good working relationship with your dealer as they will ultimately have the ability to sway the regional service advisor.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 10:13 AM   #59
B58-M340iX
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just make sure you have a good working relationship with your dealer as they will ultimately have the ability to sway the regional service advisor.
This issue was posted here and on Facebook and is a repeating defect with the headlight. They are $3,500 each through vendors (BMW Dealers) like getbmwparts/bmwpartspros. To say the headlight fades with this droop is caused by outside factors is nonsense. I have a good relationship with my local dealer, so I'm hoping that I won't have much of an issue getting it replaced.
Appreciate 0