Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Grinding/wind noise

10-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #419
AlexxZeman
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I think you will find in this topic that wheel bearings have been changed on some examples. And not the solution.
Thanks for summary, spent some time re-reading 400+ of messages ))
Seems like there was some improvements but people removed posts?!
Any luck to know the reasons?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 06:19 PM   #420
N.I BMW Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport Plus G20

The modifications we made to our car has reduced some of the noise, but it is not eliminated by any means.

It has been a few weeks since we have had any spare time to consider what to attempt next, but we have sourced some additional sound insulation for the doors which need to be fitted with the inner door panels removed and intend to pump expanding foam into the inner sills and front chassis legs, as these hollow chambers may amplify the tire/road noise which travels into the passenger compartment.

We will post again once completed, if the results of these 3 modifications have helped.

However there remain concerns with the interior air intake housing/grid, meaning that there should be a baffle or resonator box on the exterior of the fire wall/bulkhead, to attempt to reduce the chances of annoying noises from entering the inside of the car.

I have driven a 2020 manufactured 320d M Sport MHT..., it has the same annoying road noises, even though it has extra components (battery & control units Fitted inside the inner wing , just beside the interior air intake), which I thought initially may have reduced/dampened some road noise, but doesn’t appear to have worked.

BMW have definitely damaged their reputation with this issue!!!

Last edited by N.I BMW Owner; 10-31-2020 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 02:10 AM   #421
AlexxZeman
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.I BMW Owner View Post
The modifications we made to our car has reduced some of the noise, but it is not eliminated by any means.

We will post again once completed, if the results of these 3 modifications have helped.
BMW have definitely damaged their reputation with this issue!!!
Thanks! Looking forward.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #422
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i touring g21

Just an update on this issue in my car (g21 330i M pack).

I have the car in the dealer for the second week now. They have been great, very helpful.

They swapped my wheels with a g21 320d M pack to test and I noticed that my 19'' wheels with Bridgestone Turanza RFT are noisier that the 18'' standard wheels (did not see which tires). However, my car with the 18'' still did the grinding noise.
Strangely, in the g21 320d I did not notice the grinding noise, but the rolling noise is high and the wind noise is higher than in my car! This 320d had regular M suspension and regular brakes (not the blue caliper M brakes).

The second test was without the strut brace. I convinced them to do a test road without the strut brace and the grinding noise disappeared! I had more engine and wind noise as they took the plastic covers around the brace, but the annoying grinding noise was gone.
I wonder if this is the result of a combination of parts, as M sport brakes, M sport adaptive suspension and the strut brace transforming vibrations from the road surface through the suspension struts into high frequency noise.

They will now contact BMW AG on how to isolate the connections of the strut brace with the suspension strut and with the chassis of the car. Lets see.

I agree that possibly the weight saving was taken a bit too far and this had a consequence on vibration and noise isolation. But RFT tires are also very prone to vibrations and road noise. If my dealer is able to reduce the grinding noise, with a change in tires for non-RFT, it will possibly be an acceptable result.

Will keep you posted.
Cheers.
Appreciate 3
Hornet59.00
Glaede49.50
      11-25-2020, 07:45 AM   #423
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

Thanks for the update! I also noticed that the noise is much worse when I changed to my winter wheels - with 18" RFT tires. For summer I have standard non-RFT 18".
Keeping fingers crossed for you and waiting for more good news!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #424
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Hi guys! Two months have passed so I'm bumping the thread. Any developments? Anyone? My dealer is dead quiet, I stopped calling and basically gave up at the moment. Anyone with better luck?
N.I BMW OWNER, did you try anything new on the subject? Not that my hopes are high, I am just curious if someone is still out there fighting
Appreciate 1
Hornet59.00
      01-27-2021, 09:06 AM   #425
DConceicao
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
Hi guys! Two months have passed so I'm bumping the thread. Any developments? Anyone? My dealer is dead quiet, I stopped calling and basically gave up at the moment. Anyone with better luck?
N.I BMW OWNER, did you try anything new on the subject? Not that my hopes are high, I am just curious if someone is still out there fighting
Not from my side. These times with a lot of lockdowns and restrictions also are not allowing for me to pursuit that closely. Hopefully things can get better meanwhile and we can be back on top of our dealers.
Appreciate 1
Hornet59.00
      01-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #426
kfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20-330e

So I also have problems with street noise, but I can't hear a “grinding” sound. I have a 330e with an M package.
To be honest, I was pretty sure my old 435d had less road noise and asked the new owner to do a comparison.
(The floor and the doors of my 435 were already dampened)
But the figures showed that the G20 is much quieter (but it certainly has something to do with the engine too: petrol vs diesel).
The difference was around 2 dB at a lower (<90 km / h) and around 3 dB at a higher (> 130 km / h) speed range.
Now I think the road noise seems to be more present because the car is generally well insulated.

I have the feeling that the road noise comes across more strongly in the driver's seat (it is probably related to the fact that there is more connection to the engine compartment on the side - steering wheel, brake, etc.)

I already soundproofed the doors (alubutyl + sound absorption cover) and that made a noticeable difference, but didn't solve the road noise issue.
I also insulated the rear wheel arch, and it's better than before. What I have noticed, is that the side skirts have a huge cavity ( it’s like a tube) so the noises come directly under the door ( but I think it’s just relevant in the case of the M package )
You can't insulate it 100%, but I managed to fill up about 75% with Armaflex.
Now the annoying noises from behind are gone, currently the wind noise dominates because the rear windows do not have double glazing.

Next week I'll go ahead with the floor and let you know if it was successful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #427
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Hello and welcome to our support group
Very interesting finding with the side skirts, but I'm not sure if you are describing the same issue we are having.
I know it's 20 pages but have you tried to browse through this thread? You can find the detailed description of the noise, it is very specific. So far we concluded it originates from the front, possibly the front suspension and/or brakes combined with M Sport package. But there is nothing that we are certain of, other than some users reporting that removing the strut brace makes the noise gone.

If you are certain you have the same issue your findings would be really helpful to us. I am also thinking about soundproofing the doors and all wheel arches but I wasn't able to find anyone who already did it. Was is relatively easy? Do you have any pictures from the installation?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 08:57 AM   #428
kfer
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, I have read through the posts but the description of is not really clear to me.
Everyone writes that it depends on the surface ( therefore I guess it must be a simple road noise ) , but I couldn't find a video in the thread where you can clearly hear it . Is there any ?
I also tried to ask my dealer in Hungary, but they have no clue and can not see any issues/solution from BMW regarding this problem.
He also mentioned that ( at least in my case) this is just the road noise and to be honest the other two G20s I had tried had the same noise.

I also looked at the problem with the strut brace, but I don't think it's because of that.
I think the noises were different because a lot of plastic pieces have to be removed to reach it and without them other noises get through better (wind and engine).
(But to be sure, I put a layer of butyl between the strut and the body.)

Insulating the door is not complicated, but with the G20 it was (for me at least) more complicated than with the F series because the electric motor is placed differently. But you can really do that yourself.
I used 3mm alubutyl (STP GB 3.0) and an additional 10mm Hanno-Protecto layer ( see the pictures) .
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #429
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the pictures! The only video I can think of is the one with very similar noise present but when stationary (!) with egine running on idle. N.I BMW Owner suggested (a few posts above) that the problem might be also related to the interior air intake... quite a puzzle, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 10:26 AM   #430
kfer
Private First Class
Rep

I've seen that, but that seems to be an engine noise. I can not hear any difference regardind the road noise if my engine is on vs. electric mode.
But I must say, my hood is also insulated, because the petrol version have nothing on it by the factory.

But you know, the noise is always subjective. Maybe I have the similar issue and I think it would be just the road noise. Therefore would be a video really nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 11:42 AM   #431
kfer
Private First Class
Rep

There is one more place that could be interesting, but not for 330e owners.
The cavity between the wheel and the chassis looks like this on a BMW 3-series (the blue picture F32). I am relatively sure that noises are traveling through. But only on the left side because the water tank sits on the right, and there is not so much free space. Other manufacturers use thick closed-cell foam there (see the other picture).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 05:18 PM   #432
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Hi all.
Thanks for the info.

From my side, no relevant changes. I had my car more than 2 weeks in the dealer. I am convinced that the grinding noise is generated from vibration coming from the shocks into the cabin via the strut brace.
The dealer tried to insulate the connections of the strut brace to the cabin and struts, but it did not change much.

As I mentioned before, I tried a M pack 320d with no grinding noise. But this did not have the M sport brakes and adaptive suspension that mine has. The 18'' wheels and tires were also slightly quieter than mine 19''.

But of course, besides the grinding noise, there is road noise present.
Run flat tires do not help. And this seems even more pronounced because outside noise is almost absent. With windows closed is very difficult to hear any noise.

I will try some research on my own. I may try to insulate the area between engine bay and the cabin, where the strut brace is placed and see if it helps.

Another thing I am considering is the use of additional front strut bars. This is one of the differences between the new 4-series G22 and the 3-series G20/G21. If there is a vibration problem caused by the suspension and transmitted to the cabin via the strut brace, then this may help.
Could it be that BMW has already identified the problem and solved it in the G22 with the use of these front strut bars?

Has anyone noticed this?

Last edited by pmgoliv; 01-28-2021 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 01:21 PM   #433
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah, I've also wondered about aftermarket strut bar.
Like this one:

Lots more here:
https://www.tw-kcdesign.com/products_6_321_322.htm?pg=

Would it make any difference? That is the question, as I am not very keen to spend $$$ for this experiment
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #434
Maurice Lahaije
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330I

Hey Guys. I recently bought a 330I M-sport, and am experiencing the same "issue" . It's no show stopper for me, but it is quite annoying.

Did any of you ever solve this issue? the posts suddenly stopped, so i fear for the worst :-(
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #435
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Lahaije View Post
Hey Guys. I recently bought a 330I M-sport, and am experiencing the same "issue" . It's no show stopper for me, but it is quite annoying.

Did any of you ever solve this issue? the posts suddenly stopped, so i fear for the worst :-(
It's far from being solved, unfortunately. And due to Covid not much is going on at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 10:29 AM   #436
McKrill
Rep
Drives: BMW G21, BMW Z3 M

After over a year of chasing, my dealer called the other week telling me someone from BMW technical in Denmark wanted to know what rims and tires I am running on... At least/last some kind of reaction.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #437
kiwirick
Old Fella
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

I've been following this thread since N.I BMW Owner posted last year, and I after reading much of the follow-up discussion I wonder whether I have a related (albeit not the same) issue with my car.

I have a MY2020 M340i xDrive, ('F' in the VIN, Sept '19 build, adaptive suspension). The car has the acoustic glass option, and is very quiet up to about 95 km/hr. (about 60 mph). I have a resonance/vibration which only starts at about that speed - it's fairly subtle, and only really noticeable on smooth blacktop (asphalt) surfaces. It's a 'thrumm - thrumm - thrumm' heterodyning sort of noise. It doesn't change in volume or frequency with speed, or engine speed - i.e. it's much the same at 120 km/hr as at 100 km/hr (62 mph) in 8th or 6th gear. I originally thought it might be an out-of-balance driveshaft issue, but the fact that it doesn't change with speed tends not to support that. I can't feel it in the steering or other controls - I hear it, but I don't feel it.

My dealer has balanced and aligned the tyres, which are 18" Goodyear Asymmetric 3 RF, staggered widths - 225/45 95Y and 255/40 99Y. This didn't help.

Next we tried a set of wheels from another M340i using 19" Pirelli PZero RF. This somewhat improved it, but didn't fix it. They returned my wheels to the other demo M340i and I drove that car which had the same resonance problem, but much less obviously. Many people would not notice it, but I'm mechanically inclined too !

(An interesting finding from the tyre swap was that the 19" Pirelli PZero runflats provided a noticeably better ride that my 18" Goodyear runflats !)

My dealer has told me that it might be worth changing to non run flats e.g. Michelin PS4, but while agreeing with me that the noise is there, hasn't yet come up with a solution.

Have any other M340i xDrive owners noticed a resonance/vibration like the one I described above i.e. only noticeable above 55 - 60 mph on super smooth surfaces ?

Current : 2019 M340i xDrive, Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:39 PM   #438
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgoliv View Post

Another thing I am considering is the use of additional front strut bars. This is one of the differences between the new 4-series G22 and the 3-series G20/G21. If there is a vibration problem caused by the suspension and transmitted to the cabin via the strut brace, then this may help.
Could it be that BMW has already identified the problem and solved it in the G22 with the use of these front strut bars?

Has anyone noticed this?
I noticed in other thread that you have the strut bars installed. Any difference to the noise?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 04:59 PM   #439
pmgoliv
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossi123 View Post
I noticed in other thread that you have the strut bars installed. Any difference to the noise?
Hello. Thanks for the quote. Yes, I installed the strut bars. I noticed some improvement in steering (more direct in comfort mode), but no change to the noise.
In addition I put some noise insulation material between the engine bay and the cabin, where the strut brace for M-sport versions is located, and no change.
I have given up for now. Maybe there will be some improvement when I change the tires for non run-flat, but only when the run-flat scraps are finished.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2021, 03:15 PM   #440
McKrill
Rep
Drives: BMW G21, BMW Z3 M

Someting is happening!

My dealer called today and BMW have instructed them to swap my front brake discs and calipers and mount vibration dampers. They say they have concluded it is the brake discs generating the vibrations and consequently the noise. They have ordered the parts but some are currently out of stock. But within a few weeks we'll know...
Appreciate 1