Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Anyone else endure a few weeks of soreness and pain getting used to the seats?

01-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #1
beenthere1
Private
Rep
Drives: m340i xdrive, x3 m40i

Anyone else endure a few weeks of soreness and pain getting used to the seats?

Hi everyone!

I ALWAYS deal with this when I get a new car. When I switched from my old SUV to my beloved E92, from my E92 to my M235i; and even from my M235i to the M240!

Specifically, I struggle for ages to find a seating position that doesn't cause pain and soreness in two areas: base of my neck/top of my spine and low back.

Usually, I'm so uncomfortable I end up moving the seat A LOT during each way of my commute. I think that makes things worse and then NOTHING feels comfortable -- even sitting on the couch at home. This goes on for what feels like an eternity until; finally, slowly, the pain goes away. I can't tell if I actually find "the right" position or if I just get used to the seat in general.

If it matters, I'm pretty short -- 5'4". I noticed in the G20 I can't quite lower the steering wheel as much as the 240i so I moved my seat a bit closer.

Lumbar has never been helpful for me. Heated seats help but it is a bandaid.

Does anyone else have this problem and whats the best way to deal with it? Thanks so much!
Appreciate 3
      01-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #2
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere1 View Post
Hi everyone!

I ALWAYS deal with this when I get a new car. When I switched from my old SUV to my beloved E92, from my E92 to my M235i; and even from my M235i to the M240!

Specifically, I struggle for ages to find a seating position that doesn't cause pain and soreness in two areas: base of my neck/top of my spine and low back.

Usually, I'm so uncomfortable I end up moving the seat A LOT during each way of my commute. I think that makes things worse and then NOTHING feels comfortable -- even sitting on the couch at home. This goes on for what feels like an eternity until; finally, slowly, the pain goes away. I can't tell if I actually find "the right" position or if I just get used to the seat in general.

If it matters, I'm pretty short -- 5'4". I noticed in the G20 I can't quite lower the steering wheel as much as the 240i so I moved my seat a bit closer.

Does anyone else have this problem and whats the best way to deal with it? Thanks so much!
For me. It takes usually 2 months. (Ya long time) for me to find my optimal seating position, I've had my g20 since November, and anytime I drive more than 30 mins I find I'm adjusting slightly, I have the one saved as a position, so I can revert if needed. I get a bit closer each time.
My problem is lower back pain as I've got issues, so position is a big thing.

Long drive wise I did find my F32 seats more comfortable. But as my G20 gets more used the seats are starting to feel better.

Best thing you can do is adjust in small increments at a time until you find what works, I also find lumbar doesn't help me at all, but the front edge of the seat being raked upwards versus the rest does help in every car I've had. Including my F15 x5
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 10:06 AM   #3
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Hi everyone!

How long of a drive do you have to where it's causing soreness?

I wouldn't say I have soreness, but I do find the seats in the G20 to be pretty uncomfortable in general.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
beenthere1
Private
Rep

I start to feel the uncomfortable sensation after just a few minutes. I don't think the G20 seats are any less comfortable than the seats I had in the 240 save for this position issue I usually have to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I'm a Doc and while I can't legally give you medical advice, this sounds very musculoskeletal in nature. It's reassuring that this has happened in the past and resolved once you found the right seating position.

Until then...Ibuprofen/Tylenol, Icy Hot cream, stretching are you best bet.
Appreciate 3
Fuller1216.50
      01-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciseyyc View Post
For me. It takes usually 2 months. (Ya long time) for me to find my optimal seating position, I've had my g20 since November, and anytime I drive more than 30 mins I find I'm adjusting slightly, I have the one saved as a position, so I can revert if needed. I get a bit closer each time.

Long drive wise I did find my F32 seats more comfortable. But as my G20 gets more used the seats are starting to feel better.

Best thing you can do is adjust in small increments at a time until you find what works, I also find lumbar doesn't help me at all, but the front edge of the seat being raked upwards versus the rest does help in every car I've had. Including my F15 x5
Wow, i thought i was the only one. This happens every single time i get into any different car regardless of make/model/seat material/seat type etc.

I picked up my 330i in July and even now I've narrowed it down to 2 different seating positions that I'm still trying to decide between.

There's no perfect position b/c each car has a different steering wheel setup, different dashboard, different standard seat height, etc.

On top of that, I never sit the same way. Sometimes, after a long day at work i slouch more which throws everything off. Other days, my posture is excellent and now it feels completely different.

The best advice is save your prior setting-then experiment back and forth till you find something better-then save that setting and repeat. Also i agree with above poster-no lumbar and rake up the front edge about 1/4 to 1/2 way.

I'm absolutely terrified reading that the new software update erases seat memory so i may hold off on that until they sort that out.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Quote:

Wow, i thought i was the only one. This happens every single time i get into any different car regardless of make/model/seat material/seat type etc.

I picked up my 330i in July and even now I've narrowed it down to 2 different seating positions that I'm still trying to decide between.

There's no perfect position b/c each car has a different steering wheel setup, different dashboard, different standard seat height, etc.

On top of that, I never sit the same way. Sometimes, after a long day at work i slouch more which throws everything off. Other days, my posture is excellent and now it feels completely different.

The best advice is save your prior setting-then experiment back and forth till you find something better-then save that setting and repeat.

I'm absolutely terrified reading that the new software update erases seat memory so i may hold off on that until they sort that out.
The struggle is real.

They did my software 11/2019.40
And my seats stayed the same.
I never leave them my primary key tho. Not sure if that's a variable or not tho.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

Quote:
The struggle is real.

I never leave them my primary key tho. Not sure if that's a variable or not tho.
Is your seat setting saved to your key profile? When you got the update did the memory seat buttons still work? Or did the seats return with your primary key?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:26 AM   #9
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The struggle is real.

Is your seat setting saved to your key profile? When you got the update back did the memory buttons still work? Or did the seats return with your primary key?
Seat returned when I unlocked it with my primary used key, I give them the spare key that my wife would use, also returns when using my digital key.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I had no problems going from my IS350 to my 340i. I think the seats were MORE comfortable in the Bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #11
Taranto300
Banned
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Do HYPERTENSION exercises daily to build muscle on your lower back. Takes a month for the muscles to develop.

That solved my problem.
Appreciate 1
JasonDot579.50
      01-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
beenthere1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranto300 View Post
Do HYPERTENSION exercises daily to build muscle on your lower back. Takes a month for the muscles to develop.

That solved my problem.
Can you give me any examples or links?!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #13
beenthere1
Private
Rep

Quote:

The best advice is save your prior setting-then experiment back and forth till you find something better-then save that setting and repeat. Also i agree with above poster-no lumbar and rake up the front edge about 1/4 to 1/2 way.

This truly makes me feel less like a neurotic nutbag! I'm trying to reassure myself that this ALWAYS happens and to just ride it out. I wish the timetable was quicker because I find it hard to enjoy the car when my back is throbbing and I'm shifting around in my seat.
Appreciate 2
      01-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #14
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

You need to try out the different seats for an extended period of time. I would try for an overnight test drive.

I am not sure about the 3 series but I believe that BMW makes at least three different types of seats. I have the luxury seating package which gives me multi-contour seats with something like 22 adjustments. Most people can find a way to get comfortable with them. But the forum is replete with members who have had problems with other seats.

In many ways seats are one of the most important feature in a car. After all, you use them every time you use the car.

Last edited by SteveinArizona; 01-24-2020 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
Taranto300
Banned
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranto300 View Post

That solved my problem.
Can you give me any examples or links?!
HYPER EXTENSION

https://abmachinesguide.com/hyperext...without-bench/
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #16
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Stretches seem to be the key to living free of back pain for me. Thanks Youtube
I grew up in an era where we were taught to lift to be strong and do cardio for endurance, but very little emphasis on stretching. Strong muscles are often tight muscles, and tight muscles in one area of the body can cause pain in another. I think that anyone who has lower back pain from driving should learn about the piriformis muscle and how to work out tightness with a foam roller. It may not be the source of your pain, but if it is you'll know it right away. Another source of tightness is hamstrings and calves because I like to run. Tight legs can lead to back pain as well.

Specific issues aside, you might also try a gel seat pad on top your car seats. I use a black one for any drive lasting more than 1.5 hrs, it's very thin and you can hardly see it atop the seat. The extra cushioning and anti-vibration properties make a big difference. Sitting can compress the piriformis (as mentioned above) so cushioning takes some of the pressure off. Also never a wallet in back pocket while sitting for similar reasons and also asymmetrical spine alignment.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      01-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #17
FUZCO
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS

Are these leather or Sensatec?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #18
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Until then...Ibuprofen/Tylenol, Icy Hot cream, stretching are you best bet.
Maybe lumbar epidural steroid injections will help until your pain subsides. You can get up to four per year.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:21 AM   #19
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Maybe lumbar epidural steroid injections will help until your pain subsides. You can get up to four per year.
To my knowledge, physicians will not do injections immediately for these types of symptoms. Patients need to fail more conservative treatments first.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #20
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

You guys all must be liberals lol. "good GAWD..... my ass doesn't fit the seat!"

Joking aside, if you get up into the 5 series they offer a comfort seat option. It is pricy, but you will not find a better seat in any car at any price. They are superb. Problem is then you are stuck driving your dad's Buick.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:23 PM   #21
FUZCO
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
I had no problems going from my IS350 to my 340i. I think the seats were MORE comfortable in the Bimmer.
This is relieving info. Do you have leather or Sensatec?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #22
FUZCO
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Are these leather or Sensatec?
Appreciate 0