Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 330e Full Charge and general review

03-08-2020, 03:32 AM   #1
thelegendofyrag
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

330e Full Charge and general review

Hi All first post here and trying to get through all the posts on the 330e.

I got my G20 330e in September as a company car and was I must say I wouldn't be happy if I had purchased this privately!

BMW claim 35 miles for a full charge, as do all the magazine and website reviews which begs the question did they actually charge these cars up?

We have 7 within our fleet at work and the maximum full charge has been 29 miles, this is with the heating system off. I use a pod point home charger, pod point at work and various public chargers. What's has everyone on here experienced?

In general the car drives well, super quiet and comfortable. As a company car driver the tax savings are a no brainier but I wouldn't buy the car privately at this price tag with only 29 miles of charge.

Our company pays £18 a month towards home charge and we have to pay our private fuel back. So driving economically is important to keep the pence per mile down which is calculated by the cost of fuel vs miles driven. I do charge at home a little over the £18 as it keeps the fuel payback down and my tariff is pretty good.

It's taken me a while to get the most out of it in mpg terms but now I'm getting between 61-67mpg. My journeys are generally 200-240 miles on electric range per tank of fuel.

The 67mpg I have achieved in eco-pro with sat nav enabled by using 'battery control' to charge the battery whilst driving downhill on motorways with cruise control at around 72mph. I would say this method cuts the mpg down in half so I only ever really use it when I'm doing over 60mpg and generally driving a mile gives me a mile of charge in battery control.

Effectively I can get 60miles electric on a long journey using this method having charged up at home/work with a starting figure of 29miles.

If I got the claimed 35 miles from a full charge I'd see 70odd mpg I'm sure!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegendofyrag View Post

I got my G20 330e in September as a company car and was I must say I wouldn't be happy if I had purchased this privately!

BMW claim 35 miles for a full charge, as do all the magazine and website reviews which begs the question did they actually charge these cars up?

We have 7 within our fleet at work and the maximum full charge has been 29 miles, this is with the heating system off. I use a pod point home charger, pod point at work and various public chargers. What's has everyone on here experienced?

In general the car drives well, super quiet and comfortable. As a company car driver the tax savings are a no brainier but I wouldn't buy the car privately at this price tag with only 29 miles of charge.

Our company pays £18 a month towards home charge and we have to pay our private fuel back. So driving economically is important to keep the pence per mile down which is calculated by the cost of fuel vs miles driven. I do charge at home a little over the £18 as it keeps the fuel payback down and my tariff is pretty good.

It's taken me a while to get the most out of it in mpg terms but now I'm getting between 61-67mpg. My journeys are generally 200-240 miles on electric range per tank of fuel.

The 67mpg I have achieved in eco-pro with sat nav enabled by using 'battery control' to charge the battery whilst driving downhill on motorways with cruise control at around 72mph. I would say this method cuts the mpg down in half so I only ever really use it when I'm doing over 60mpg and generally driving a mile gives me a mile of charge in battery control.

Effectively I can get 60miles electric on a long journey using this method having charged up at home/work with a starting figure of 29miles.

29 from 35 at this time of year is actually pretty decent ! Your only 20% down. You will gain 10-15% of this in the warmer months, taking you within 1-2 miles of quoted!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
thelegendofyrag
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
Quote:

29 from 35 at this time of year is actually pretty decent ! Your only 20% down. You will gain 10-15% of this in the warmer months, taking you within 1-2 miles of quoted!
That's interesting and will be good to see if this is the case. I'd have thought it would charge to maximum (35 miles) all year round but use less as an actual of this during the winter months due to the colder weather? My understand of phev however isn't great and I'm still learning!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:41 AM   #4
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
Quote:

That's interesting and will be good to see if this is the case. I'd have thought it would charge to maximum (35 miles) all year round but use less as an actual of this during the winter months due to the colder weather? My understand of phev however isn't great and I'm still learning!
https://www.wired.com/story/electric...-weather-tips/
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
ThreeBlue
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

I'm getting mid-30s range at the moment without the heating on but my driving is typically A roads and villages rather than motorways
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
thelegendofyrag
Rep

Is that showing as a full charge in the 30's? Or a few extra miles through regeneration?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #7
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: slow

One charge

If it would have used the regen the average kWh consumption would have not been displayed

Quote:
Is that showing as a full charge in the 30's? Or a few extra miles through regeneration?
      03-08-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlue View Post
I'm getting mid-30s range at the moment without the heating on but my driving is typically A roads and villages rather than motorways
You live in Scotland and don’t use heating?
Just use Eco+ and be comfortable. You’ll still return excellent mpg.
I’ve had my 330e M Sport since early November and mix sport+ mode with eco+ depending on roads and how I feel. My overall consumption since taking delivery is 62.7 mpg which is much better than my previous 520d M Sport which overall av was 44mpg
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
ThreeBlue
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBlue View Post
You live in Scotland and don’t use heating?
Just use Eco+ and be comfortable. You’ll still return excellent mpg.
I’ve had my 330e M Sport since early November and mix sport+ mode with eco+ depending on roads and how I feel. My overall consumption since taking delivery is 62.7 mpg which is much better than my previous 520d M Sport which overall av was 44mpg
I normally do! This was more of an experiment to see what was possible
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:40 AM   #10
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I only ever get about 18 miles from a full charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #11
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

Since taking delivery of my 330e in early November my available miles at start up has never exceeded 26 miles or dropped below 22 miles.

35 miles seems a long way short of reality to me although I understand there’s no certainty to the available starting forecast.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #12
Rootsy
Registered
Rep

Hey all, just joined... ����

Had mine since the start of December, just over 4k miles and I often see a 32m range displayed (which is usually pretty accurate). I have just got up to 95mpg, so really pleased with the figures I'm getting. Tbf, three days a week my commute is about 35m each way with charging at both ends. The other days range from working from home/zero miles or journeys of 60 miles each way. So a good portion is battery only miles, hence I would expect to get these sorts of figures!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Got 28kms (18 miles) from a full charge today. 6c and taking it easy on Electric Individual mode.
Appreciate 0