Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Decluttering your life (e.g. computer parts)

03-22-2024, 04:05 PM   #23
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My undergrad degree is in geology, with a heavy side of chemistry.
My undergrad work was in geology, specifically stratigraphy, with a side of comp. science. Never used the geology and wish I didn't use the comp science. I've got a very used rock hammer to show for my time
Appreciate 1
M_Six16962.00
      03-22-2024, 05:09 PM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
My undergrad work was in geology, specifically stratigraphy, with a side of comp. science. Never used the geology and wish I didn't use the comp science. I've got a very used rock hammer to show for my time
That's funny, because I went into environmental remediation for a couple of years after graduating and then switched to IT, where I spent the next 25.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 05:27 PM   #25
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
I got into geology because I lived in the out doors and considered myself an environmentalist. Sad part was the jobs in stratigraphy and comp science were indoor jobs hunting for oil. Weird turn was I left school to go auto racing. After leaving the auto industry I when back into the bicycle and ski industry for 30 years so. Strange how life works out.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 06:20 PM   #26
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I loved environmental geology at first. Drilling wells, sampling, mapping plumes, designing and building remediation systems, etc. It was fun and interesting. Then I gained seniority and got pulled into the office to write endless reports on the various projects we were involved with. That got really old, really fast. Plus my lunatic boss believed in hand written reports where you literally cut out parts of the previous report you wanted to use and pasted them into the new report. True cut and paste. Then you hand wrote the rest. Typing, he claimed, was for the secretaries. That was my cue to find another job.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1