Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Rattle from center HK speaker..

09-06-2022, 05:19 AM   #1
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Rattle from center HK speaker..

Have been hit with this recently and its driving me insane! Found a post and seems to be an m340 quirk. No way I'm attacking that speaker cover with a trim tool and DIYing it though.
Anyone else had this and any issues with getting BMW to sort nit with a bit of velvet tape?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 06:36 AM   #2
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Have been hit with this recently and its driving me insane! Found a post and seems to be an m340 quirk. No way I'm attacking that speaker cover with a trim tool and DIYing it though.
Anyone else had this and any issues with getting BMW to sort nit with a bit of velvet tape?
I have noticed a couple of rattles / vibrations recently and the latest seems to be coming from the front somewhere (heard this last few days).

I'll try to figure out if this is the same position.

As for fixing it if i can identify these i will try dealership but as i didn't buy locally not sure how helpful they might be.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

If anyone was wanting to have a go at trying to cure the problem rattle themselves then Kies Motorsport's YouTube video on the Alpha One speaker upgrade may help. About 17 mins in the guy removes the centre dash speaker trim in order to change the speakers but it at least gives you some idea as to how the grille comes out, what's underneath it and whereabouts you could potentially add some additional sound deadening. Just a thought?
Appreciate 1
P-ToK72342.00
      09-07-2022, 06:09 AM   #4
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
Quote:
I have noticed a couple of rattles / vibrations recently and the latest seems to be coming from the front somewhere (heard this last few days).

I'll try to figure out if this is the same position.

As for fixing it if i can identify these i will try dealership but as i didn't buy locally not sure how helpful they might be.
Think it depends on your dealer - I bought my car from BMW in Chelmsford, but my local dealer is LLoyd Newcastle, and they've been nothing short of fantastic customer service wise sorting out a couple of warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 06:17 AM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I’m in a similar situation. My local dealer is North East based but car was supplied from a dealer in the Midlands.
I think if it can be done as a warranty issue then the dealers are probably keen enough to do it knowing BMW will reimburse them.
If not and it’s more of a ‘goodwill issue’ then they may not be too forthcoming especially if you didn’t purchase from them originally.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #6
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
If anyone was wanting to have a go at trying to cure the problem rattle themselves then Kies Motorsport's YouTube video on the Alpha One speaker upgrade may help. About 17 mins in the guy removes the centre dash speaker trim in order to change the speakers but it at least gives you some idea as to how the grille comes out, what's underneath it and whereabouts you could potentially add some additional sound deadening. Just a thought?
Thanks yes that's the one I saw and decided against doing!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 06:38 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks yes that's the one I saw and decided against doing!
I watched that again last night and thought bugger! That looks like the most difficult built-in panel speaker of them all!
Wouldn’t fancy trying to do the underseat woofers either mind you!
Oh well! It was a thought anyway!
Appreciate 0