Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum I loved Performance Center Delivery

11-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
Jmatt07
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I loved Performance Center Delivery

I just picked up my 2020 Alpine white 330i yesterday from PCD in South Carolina and have to say that if you order a new bmw you should 200% do the PCD. It was an incredible experience and tons of fun. Now I want to go back and do the M school!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #2
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
That's great! Got any good pics? I'm strongly considering doing this next year, just have a few questions if you can help.

How much time did PCD add to your order, and were there options for scheduling or more of a take it or leave it approach? Also, did your payments start prior to picking up your car? Heard conflicting answers on that one.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

We did PCD for my wife's X5 in February. It was such a good experience that I had my new M340i delivered there. We pick it up on 12/6 (less than 2 weeks now)!

I tell people who are considering a BMW that even if the dealer has the car they want in stock, order it and have it delivered to the Performance Center, the experience is that good.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #4
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickForLife View Post
That's great! Got any good pics? I'm strongly considering doing this next year, just have a few questions if you can help.

How much time did PCD add to your order, and were there options for scheduling or more of a take it or leave it approach? Also, did your payments start prior to picking up your car? Heard conflicting answers on that one.

Thanks!
PCD added about 4w to my order. Originally the car would've been delivered to the VDC in NJ. In this case the Charleston-bound ship had an additional stop compared to the NJ-bound ships (not to mention it had to travel further south). From there the Performance Center will add a buffer of ~2w to make sure they give you a guaranteed good date, accounting for shipping delays, port delays, and PCD demand (I believe they can do up to 8 deliveries a day). This is important because most people book their flight many weeks in advance and don't want to have to change airline reservations.

It's more of a take it or leave it approach as far as dates, mainly due to demand, but they will work with you if they know you're talking about a safe date where the vehicle is not at risk of being late. I tried to get my M340i delivery moved up but they strongly suggested against it citing possible delays like hurricane season in the N. Atlantic, etc. Sure enough there was a 3d delay in shipping to go around a storm and a 1w delay at the port in Charleston. The car just made it there last Saturday 11/22 for a 12/6 del. date (and don't forget 2 Sundays and Thanksgiving are in between so it's closer than it seems).

As for payments, you do the paperwork with your dealer ~1w before you leave for delivery. In the case of my wife's car we did it 2d before. In this case we're doing it Monday 12/2 and delivery is Friday 12/6.

Last edited by gofast182; 11-26-2019 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Gofast182! I'm considering Tanzanite for an M340i, so that would add more time. If I go Black Sapphire, that makes it a bit easier. Any indicators when you scheduled just how far past the delivery date they'd be willing to go?

Good news about the payments! I'm guessing you are leasing but I'm guessing the same rules would likely apply to financing. What I definitely wanted to avoid would be having the car sitting waiting for me for delivery at the PCD for several months and getting billed all the while for a car I'm not driving. Any one have any experience on that front to share?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Tanzanite might add more time but it's got nothing to do with PCD, it's when the factory can run a batch of Tanzanite cars.

I'm not sure what you're asking re: how far past the delivery date. If you wanted them to hold it a bit longer I'm sure they would, within reason.

My M340i will be leased but my wife's X5 we financed. No one should have any experience to share where a car sat for more than a couple weeks after the financial transaction, that's not the way it's done. All kinds of murky, complicated stuff would be introduced if that was the case like premature trade-ins, accepting full financial liability for a car you haven't seen (and one that is likely unlanded yet), insurance costs, etc. Get that idea out of your head.

The other benefit to the wait time is from the day you agree on your deal and the car is ordered you have ~3mo to see if better incentives come around. Dealers should let you have the best rates/rebates that were available during that period.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
Jmatt07
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I am leasing mine and signed the paperwork only 4 days out from PCD. I havent had to make a payment yet and did PCD yesterday. Super fun experience. They give you a loaner of the same model you ordered to race on the track. For me it was a 330i but the other people in my group had an m2 and an m4. If you have the opportunity to do it I highly recommend it.

Now I want to go back and do the M performance school but I think that costs around $2500.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the feedback Jmatt07 and Gofast182. Appreciate all your info. The timing questions basically stem from trying to hit the 2019 order deadline if possible, and avoiding picking up the car and driving it back in winter since it will be on summer tires. I'm one of the silly fools who wants a RWD car in Cleveland
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
Tomemic
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White m340i

I’m picking up my m340i on January 30. Driving through the mountains on 77, 81 or 40 that time of year can get pretty nasty if there is snow. If the weather is garbage I’ll be staying another night at the Greenville Marriott.
Appreciate 0