Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions coding for dummies

05-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Ivanbmw
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i 2018

coding for dummies

Hi Guys,

High beginner question,

All these ads of people that do unlimited coding in BMW which are pop up in my Instagram and Facebook, are they using for example bimmercode with the OBDLink CX Bluetooth ( for example)?

I was wondering if instead of paying for them to code my car using it, I would buy it and do it by myself and I could turn it on or in any code whenever I want with my own adpater.

Is that true?
Is that self explain to do it?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 08:26 AM   #2
2sofar
Rep
Drives: Current: F34/F23/G20; Prev:G01

I am no expert but I use BimmerCode to configure things on my cars. I’ve never ventured into expert mode so I keep to the basics, which is pretty easy. I did just watch a video that guides you through the Sport Plus setup using expert mode so I’m going to do that too.

TLDR: yes, you can buy the equipment for not too much money and do most things yourself.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #3
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanbmw View Post
Hi Guys,

High beginner question,

All these ads of people that do unlimited coding in BMW which are pop up in my Instagram and Facebook, are they using for example bimmercode with the OBDLink CX Bluetooth ( for example)?

I was wondering if instead of paying for them to code my car using it, I would buy it and do it by myself and I could turn it on or in any code whenever I want with my own adpater.

Is that true?
Hi... I would do it yourself but start with bimmercode and do a lot of reading on this forum. There are also a lot of knowledgeable people on here that will help if you get stuck.

Bimmercode is very easy to use you just need the cable and the software. Check which one you need here: https://bimmercode.app/ Once your connected to your car you will have sub-menus for the modules that you want to program and most are easy to follow. Once you master this then you can go to the expert mode (not as daunting as it sounds) and change other parameters which aren't in standard mode.

The beauty of doing this yourself is after an OTA update you don't have to pay someone again to add the features you had.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanbmw View Post
Hi Guys,

High beginner question,

Is that true?
Hi... I would do it yourself but start with bimmercode and do a lot of reading on this forum. There are also a lot of knowledgeable people on here that will help if you get stuck.

Bimmercode is very easy to use you just need the cable and the software. Check which one you need here: https://bimmercode.app/ Once your connected to your car you will have sub-menus for the modules that you want to program and most are easy to follow. Once you master this then you can go to the expert mode (not as daunting as it sounds) and change other parameters which aren't in standard mode.

The beauty of doing this yourself is after an OTA update you don't have to pay someone again to add the features you had.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Rick
BimmerCode I can do everything I need except code anti dazzle. I paid someone to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 10:13 PM   #5
dvilla2156
Rep
Drives: Acura TL

Where are you located? If in Socal I can show you happy to help
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #6
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i XD

Garage List
I did the anti dazzle myself using Bimmercode on my G22. Took a lot of time and exploring. I used this as guide and it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
BimmerCode I can do everything I need except code anti dazzle. I paid someone to do it.
Attached Images

Last edited by cowymo; 05-09-2021 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:56 PM   #7
shift_javi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 330i xDrive M Sport Track

Garage List
2016 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowymo View Post
I did the anti dazzle myself using Bimmercode on my G22. Took a lot of time and exploring. I used this as guide and it worked.

Quote:
I though coding anti-dazzle wasn't possible via BimmerCode? Are all of those codes in BDC?
      05-10-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Yes, all those codes can be found in BimmerCode BDC expert mode. But u really have to search each and every one of them for the parameters. Cos the 3 series and the 4 series are quite different in BimmerCode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_javi View Post
I though coding anti-dazzle wasn't possible via BimmerCode? Are all of those codes in BDC?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowymo View Post

Quote:
Wow. Impressive! I have a G20. So you mentioned it's a bit different then your G22. I'm not updating because I would need to recode the anti dazzle. I may explore expert mode to see if I can at least find the lines of code for the future. Or for $99 I can use an expert.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #10
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Wow. Impressive! I have a G20. So you mentioned it's a bit different then your G22. I'm not updating because I would need to recode the anti dazzle. I may explore expert mode to see if I can at least find the lines of code for the future. Or for $99 I can use an expert.
Just have a battery tender hooked up to your car and go through the expert mode manual one by one under BDC. There is a search function in every sub-menu, that helps a lot.

Last edited by cowymo; 05-12-2021 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 07:49 PM   #11
daddymoe
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

From my own research, paying for Bimmercode (coding functionality) + required hardware is cheaper than paying a professional to do it. Mainly because you will have the flexibility to tinker to your heart's content. Where as you will need to pay someone every time you need to make a change.

E-Sys is the main thing I am trying to get me head around.
Appreciate 0