Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics The H/K Drivers Break In

04-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #1
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M340xi

When I first picked up my M340, I was most displeased with the optioned Harman Kardon system's soundstage.

Initial thoughts:
* Mids are acceptable
* Highs are a touch hissy and not bright enough
* Bass is underpowered and lacks depth

After stacking a few hundred miles on the ODO and running the system for a few hours around 70% of max volume - well - most of my initial impressions remain. However, the bass seems to have deepened slightly, and it is my biggest criticism. So I think the drivers are breaking in.

Anyone taking delivery of a new M340 who's a little put off by the soundstage may want to give it some time.

I bet if I had some way for a pro audio shop to tune the existing drivers and reroute the under-seat subs to share a 300-watt dedicated amp with a trunk-well fabricated 10" JL sub — and swapped in Focal tweeters in the A Pillars — this system would be excellent.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

I had the same reaction when I first got my car. However, after a year of ownership the sound is much better.
Search around on this forum, because there have been some discussions about the HK system. Some owners feel the new speakers take some time to get to optimal capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
GAPortimao
Rep
Drives: G22

I definitely noticed an improvement when i crossed over into 4 digit miles
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

I know its a different platform, however, the X7 I drove had the HK system and my M340i does not and I couldnt tell a difference

Maybe I'm not the biggest audiophile anymore but I fancy myself an enthusiast for sure

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbags View Post
When I first picked up my M340, I was most displeased with the optioned Harman Kardon system's soundstage.

Initial thoughts:
* Mids are acceptable
* Highs are a touch hissy and not bright enough
* Bass is underpowered and lacks depth

After stacking a few hundred miles on the ODO and running the system for a few hours around 70% of max volume - well - most of my initial impressions remain. However, the bass seems to have deepened slightly, and it is my biggest criticism. So I think the drivers are breaking in.

Anyone taking delivery of a new M340 who's a little put off by the soundstage may want to give it some time.

I bet if I had some way for a pro audio shop to tune the existing drivers and reroute the under-seat subs to share a 300-watt dedicated amp with a trunk-well fabricated 10" JL sub — and swapped in focal tweeters in the A Pillars — this system would be excellent.
Just out of curiosity, what's your source for music?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post
Great point, I'm streaming from Spotify Premium on CarPlay wireless. My main point of comparison is a H/K system on my High Altitude WK2 used with a wired CarPlay stream of Spotify.

Pretty close comparison, but I had not factored in fidelity loss from over-air streaming. Do we know if the onboard Spotify integration is a better overall experience?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #7
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post
Great point, I'm streaming from Spotify Premium on CarPlay wireless. My main point of comparison is a H/K system on my High Altitude WK2 used with a wired CarPlay stream of Spotify.

Pretty close comparison, but I had not factored in fidelity loss from over-air streaming. Do we know if the onboard Spotify integration is a better overall experience?
So in my opinion the HK system isn't as bad as people say. I use Spotify as well but I have the quality set to "Very High" in the settings which made a pretty big difference for me. I'd say check your settings in Spotify and make sure it's set to very high. That being said, I don't think the audio over wireless on this car works as well as others. I also use a USB drive which sounds considerably better than Spotify/Bluetooth. Just my 2 cents...

Oh and on another note, I also have a WK2. I just swapped the speakers for focal components and without even adding an amp it's insane how good they sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 10:46 AM   #8
cls49bmw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40

I use onboard Spotify, and find the sound quality very acceptable. Apple Car Play is what I use to play music from my phone's library, and some other streaming music apps. I think the wireless system provides decent sound, but I accept the statement that a wired connection would allow better sound.

I don't use Spotify thru Car Play.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 07:57 AM   #9
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

What was your build / delivery date? German built or Mexico? The amps in the MY21 from Mexico were vastly underpowered to downright defective, and the upgraded Amp they released to solve the bass total cutout issue is much much more powerful and the bass is far better.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 08:27 PM   #10
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma735 View Post
What was your build / delivery date? German built or Mexico? The amps in the MY21 from Mexico were vastly underpowered to downright defective, and the upgraded Amp they released to solve the bass total cutout issue is much much more powerful and the bass is far better.
It's built in Munich. But how do I check when? Doesn't seem to be on the window sticker...

What were you hearing on yours?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #11
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

Picked up my M340i yesterday. There is alot of chatter on the blog about this issue. I have to agree that the HK system doesn't sound as good as the HK system in the 340i xdrive sport I turned in. From what I recall I had the same thing with the previous car. As time wore on the bass got better along with good mid range and the highs were crisp. I have tuned the equalizer the same way I did with the previous car. I will give it some time for the new system to break in. I don't stream music via bluetooth as I find that the sound quality is not as good as when it is wired. But maybe that is just me.
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:00 PM   #12
az.m340i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
It's built in Munich. But how do I check when? Doesn't seem to be on the window sticker...

What were you hearing on yours?
On the driver side door sill there should be a sticker with your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and directly above that should be the month and year your vehicle was built in.

For the sound system, I use the USB port and my music is .wav files (uncompressed), I'm not sure if that is necessary to take advantage of the HK system but it does the job for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:28 PM   #13
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

The only way to know is if you check the amp unit sticker itself, which is located in the back rear driver side access panel in the trunk. If the part # on the sticker is 65-12-5-A20-7E7 or 65-12-9-826-944 you have the underpowered amp. The updated part is: 65-12-5-A38-AB8 rev. AI-02.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
ckennedyYOW
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

I've had my M340i for a year and the HK system has improved noticeably. Sure, its lacking sub bass (below 60 Hz likely, but i haven't measured) and the addition of a sub would certainly fill in the bottom end. However, the mids are clear and detailed, the highs are non fatiguing. Ample power to avoid clipping. I typically run onboard Spotify and have not tried uncompressed or FLAC files from a flash drive yet.

All in all, I'm satisfied with the HK sound system. In comparison to my previous vehicles (a number of Hondas/Acuras - which had absolute rubbish for sound systems, and most recently, a WRX - which was barely acceptable) this sound system is on another level. Ok, it doesn't get to the SQ of my home 2.2 audiophile system, but hey the noise floor in a car approaches 70 db while cruising, so its always a challenge to achieve high SQ. I'm sure one could do better aftermarket with a few $K, but I won't be going down that road.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 12:16 AM   #15
myM340
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynNYBMW View Post
Picked up my M340i yesterday. There is alot of chatter on the blog about this issue. I have to agree that the HK system doesn't sound as good as the HK system in the 340i xdrive sport I turned in. From what I recall I had the same thing with the previous car. As time wore on the bass got better along with good mid range and the highs were crisp. I have tuned the equalizer the same way I did with the previous car. I will give it some time for the new system to break in. I don't stream music via bluetooth as I find that the sound quality is not as good as when it is wired. But maybe that is just me.
__________________________________________________ ___________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
What are your EQ settings? I don't know anything about it and looked quite confusing. I was just about to make a thread on this haha.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 05:49 AM   #16
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep

So I spent a little time messing with the EQ as some have suggested and it really has made all the difference. The EQ does drive meaningful, separated frequency response in this car.

I went with a "V" shape for the most part, boosting the bass quite a bit, the highs a bit less and reduced power to the mids.

Overall now I am happy with the system. Certain low, rumbly frequencies just won't be produced, but it's not enough of a lack anymore for me to venture out of OEM territory.

Actually, the system is pretty darn good.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 04:23 PM   #17
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

The biggest issue with the HK system from my perspective is it's noticeably weaker than the idrive 6 version which had the completely standalone amp, not the RAM and a booster in this model. So when I heard the G20 HK based on iDrive 7, I was super disappointed because it is a big step down from what it was. That may be fixed by the new amp, but I'm not sure that is actually possible... from memory the additional amp only boosts the additional parcel shelf speakers?? But I'm not sure about that as I'll need to pull out the wiring diagrams again.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #18
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by myM340 View Post
What are your EQ settings? I don't know anything about it and looked quite confusing. I was just about to make a thread on this haha.

Thanks!
Hey There. I have the equalizer in a v shape pattern. You will need to tune it to your hearing. Some people like more bass, mid range or treble. I like a more balance sound thus the reason mine is in a v shape. Let me know if you want me to post a pic of it. I will once I Get the car back. It is in the shop again. UGH.
__________________________________________________ ____________
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 07:41 AM   #19
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Here's what I ended with, may tweak it as the system gets broken in. Currently at 6k miles.

I ended up changing the surround from +2 to +1 recently because of some weird echoing effects on one or two songs. Otherwise I haven't adjusted the EQ settings.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-23-2021, 02:35 PM   #20
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graaf_Autowerks View Post
Here's what I ended with, may tweak it as the system gets broken in. Currently at 6k miles.

I ended up changing the surround from +2 to +1 recently because of some weird echoing effects on one or two songs. Otherwise I haven't adjusted the EQ settings.
Trying this out now. Nice balance. Thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #21
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

I've tried doing some measurements, played with the system for 1h and I don't have any conclusive results as the measurements kinda differ very much even if I make just small adjustments to the microphone (e.g. moving from my left ear to my right one).

I tried to adjust a bit the EQ to make it more flat but it ended up sounding worse to my ears as even a slight movement of the measuring microphone would change the frequency response; if the EQ had more than 8 bands and something under 100Hz, might have helped with sub-100Hz bass.

I've done the same measurement in the 2019 Mazda3 which they said they designed it from early stage with Bose to have great sound and this is what I've got:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 04:12 AM   #22
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
Hmm this might not be related to the HK in your car but now on my 2,5 year lease on the i3s with the HK sound i must say it sounds a lot better now then when it was new, either this is a placebo effect or the speakers really do need a break in time.

My setup has been sens day 1 USB Audio Spotify with max quality offline synced songs.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0