Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Glitchy behavior with some of my car's functions

02-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Glitchy behavior with some of my car's functions

So in the last few days there’s been a few strange going’s on on board the car when driving - anyone think I should book it in for a check?

In no particular order:

1. Driver assistance temporarily unavailable message coming on almost every time I go on the motorway
2. Passenger collision detection triggering and braking the vehicle for a pedestrian running across the road about 200yrds in front of me at 30mph
3. Apple CarPlay connection dropping in and out regularly.
4. Auto wipers engaging (or not engaging) at random inopportune times.
5. Auto hold disengaging itself

Think there’s maybe another, but I can’t think right now! Very odd 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:32 PM   #2
StevenDS85
I ///M Fan
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-Sport

All sound like software glitches. Try to reboot your iDrive by pressing the volume button for about 20 seconds when engine is on. System will reboot. If this doesn’t help the dealer should have a look.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:30 PM   #3
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranester1983 View Post
So in the last few days there’s been a few strange going’s on on board the car when driving - anyone think I should book it in for a check?

In no particular order:

1. Driver assistance temporarily unavailable message coming on almost every time I go on the motorway
2. Passenger collision detection triggering and braking the vehicle for a pedestrian running across the road about 200yrds in front of me at 30mph

No software update done on my car but the auto hold has been turning off by itself for the last couple of days to a week, I thought nothing off it until you mentioned it...might be time I got my car booked in for an update...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
Quote:
So in the last few days there's been a few strange going's on on board the car when driving - anyone think I should book it in for a check?

In no particular order:

Think there's maybe another, but I can't think right now! Very odd 🤷*♂️
No software update done on my car but the auto hold has been turning off by itself for the last couple of days to a week, I thought nothing off it until you mentioned it...might be time I got my car booked in for an update...
What software version are you on?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:55 AM   #5
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
Quote:
So in the last few days there's been a few strange going's on on board the car when driving - anyone think I should book it in for a check?

In no particular order:

Think there's maybe another, but I can't think right now! Very odd 🤷*♂️
What software version are you on?
7/2019.55
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Except for the CarPlay issue, all could be related to the front window camera(s). Are those clean/undamaged? How about the radar?

The CarPlay issue can be caused by not up to date iPhone software. Checked that?
      02-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
coladin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

I have the CarPlay glitch. The auto locking that doesn’t always lock glitch. The HUD that resets itself to the wrong height glitch. The BMW Connected that never connects, and the dealer who is powerless to make it work, blaming head office.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:51 AM   #8
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiGijzen View Post
Except for the CarPlay issue, all could be related to the front window camera(s). Are those clean/undamaged? How about the radar?

The CarPlay issue can be caused by not up to date iPhone software. Checked that?
With regards the first part - it seems to happen every time there’s even a drop of rain... which, y’know... is every day in Scotland!

Software is up to date on iPhone and no updates available for iDrive that I can see.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #9
G20.rjm
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:

In no particular order:

Wow. That's a lot of glitches. My 330i has none of those with the exception of the Carplay issues and the remote services. I had my software updated to 11/2019.40 by the dealer and now have no more issues. Carplay works flawlessly 100% of the time, all remote services work including Remote 3D view.

I was running 7/2019.55 before the update but still didn't have the number of issues you did.

Still no over the air updates yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:54 AM   #10
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
With regards the first part - it seems to happen every time there’s even a drop of rain... which, y’know... is every day in Scotland!

Software is up to date on iPhone and no updates available for iDrive that I can see.
Oh damn OK, so I might see a pattern here. This weekend I took an hour drive to drop the Mrs off. It had been pissing rain all day and it was cold and foggy and generally wet. On our way over there, there was on/off rain. About 40 mins into the drive the I got the assistance malfunction message. It went away once I restarted the car for the return trip.

What could be the cause?
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 05:05 AM   #11
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6bullet View Post
Oh damn OK, so I might see a pattern here. This weekend I took an hour drive to drop the Mrs off. It had been pissing rain all day and it was cold and foggy and generally wet. On our way over there, there was on/off rain. About 40 mins into the drive the I got the assistance malfunction message. It went away once I restarted the car for the return trip.

What could be the cause?
It must be water / dirt / spray in the sensors - but if it happens almost every time the road is wet than that seems a bit like substandard design / parts.

Never had that issue on previous cars - even in the most torrential of rain.
Appreciate 1
A6bullet337.00
      02-05-2020, 05:22 AM   #12
A6bullet
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Quote:
It must be water / dirt / spray in the sensors - but if it happens almost every time the road is wet than that seems a bit like substandard design / parts.

Never had that issue on previous cars - even in the most torrential of rain.
Agreed. I have only had this happen once, but the weather here is similar to yours, always rainy. Hopefully this is not a recurring problem. Ill see this weekend, I have a 4+ hour drive.
F87 M2

G20 330i
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:13 AM   #13
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Rain is not supposed to have this effect. Drove 1000km/7hrs one drive in only rain and fog and everything was fine.

The camera/sensor has an error or the glass at those areas is dirty/broken. Dirt should be removed because the wipers touch that area. And since the rain sensor and camera are two separate elements, I also not suspect the glass to be broken.

Better have the dealer do an error scan. These systems should have some kind of error logging.