Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions On the horns of a dilemma - M340i vs C43

07-09-2019, 07:25 AM   #45
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
I think they generally liked the m340i, but they feel that if it wears an "M" badge, it should have more M characteristics, like the c43 amg is more like a ttv6 powered c63 than a c300.
I guess. But the one "sporty" thing they really noticed on the C43 with the stupid exhaust belch with each gear change. Sporty exhaust growl is great under acceleration but I couldn't live with the exhaust belch every single time it changes gear. That would get really tiring. Like the first time your kid does something cute it's fun. Then they proceed to do the same damn thing over and over for the next 12 hours and in no time it's driving you up a wall?

I also don't find the current merc stying (inside or out) very attractive but YMMV.
I would imagine, though, that you can control the amount of exhaust burbles and what not, by way of selectable drive modes. If you don't want that, just select comfort, or whatever MB calls it, and it's probably fairly quiet.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #46
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Quote:
I think they generally liked the m340i, but they feel that if it wears an "M" badge, it should have more M characteristics, like the c43 amg is more like a ttv6 powered c63 than a c300.
I guess. But the one "sporty" thing they really noticed on the C43 with the stupid exhaust belch with each gear change. Sporty exhaust growl is great under acceleration but I couldn't live with the exhaust belch every single time it changes gear. That would get really tiring. Like the first time your kid does something cute it's fun. Then they proceed to do the same damn thing over and over for the next 12 hours and in no time it's driving you up a wall?

I also don't find the current merc stying (inside or out) very attractive but YMMV.
Agreed. Their review is good but confuses me. When you boil it down, they just liked the exhaust note and stiffness of the suspension, which makes it feel aggressive. That is not the same as sporty to me. You don't need a loud exhaust or an really stiff suspension to have a sporty car. And then they state that the M340 would be more fun on a track. Track driving is a lot different to driving on the road, but if a car is fun on a track it is probably a good indication that it is set-up in a "sporty" manner.

As other people have said, we probably shouldn't over-analyze their conclusions, which are entirely personal to the reviewers. We should make our own judgement and buy the car that fits our needs/preferences. In my case, that is the M340 xdrive.
I don't generally have much interest in MB, but I think this review points to one reason why bmw is slipping in the eyes of driving enthusiasts. They're making good and sensible, but generally conservative (read boring) cars. If they're going to go the way of MB, and expand the M line up to fill the niche between the normal daily drivers like the 3 series, and track-ready sports sedans like the m3, why not go all the way.

I'm not saying I agree with expanding, and diluting the M brand, but they've decided to go in that direction, so go with it. Why not imbibe the m340i with a little more "M" instead of making it feel like a powerful 3 series? Why not make the selectable drive modes actually change the character of the car more? Instead they used a conservative approach and designed it to appeal to everyone from recent college grads to grandmothers. What you then end up with is a well rounded, sensible car with performance chops that's still a bit boring. Bmw is making cars that people buy after compiling a list of pros and cons, vs cars that draw you into dealerships out of curiosity and excitement.

As much as I've never really got into MB, the c43 amg (as well as cls53, among a few other models) makes me want to schedule a test drive and if it lived up to expectations, I'd be more likely to make an emotional purchase. I'd leave the dealership excited. The m340i, while a great car, is more like the car your wife talks you into getting due to its comfort and fuel efficiency - and then further talks you down into the 330i (because who needs 382 hp anyway), and then you're stuck with a 4-pot snooze fest for 3 years or whatever.

Thinking back to when I started paying attention to bmw, the e46 m3 was not sensible for the time. Neither was the e60 m5 with its high strung v10 engine. The e90 m3 didn't seem like a left brain decision either with its screaming v8. These days, even the M cars seem sort of like "M-by the numbers". They tick all the right boxes, perform well on the track, and they're plenty exciting, but somehow they don't exactly pull you into the dealership out of sheer curiosity and excitement.

That's the general gist of how I see it. We get a modern bimmer because it's a nice car that checks the right boxes, but it's not necessarily the car that we're day dreaming about. Is that enough to place them at #1 and keep them there? Maybe, but there's still an enthusiast community out there who don't always make left-sided brain purchases when it comes to cars (even daily drivers).
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
Transfer5244.00
Alex_bm174.50
      07-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #47
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
As much as I've never really got into MB, the c43 amg (as well as cls53, among a few other models) makes me want to schedule a test drive and if it lived up to expectations, I'd be more likely to make an emotional purchase. I'd leave the dealership excited. The m340i, while a great car, is more like the car your wife talks you into getting due to its comfort and fuel efficiency - and then further talks you down into the 330i (because who needs 382 hp anyway), and then you're stuck with a 4-pot snooze fest for 3 years or whatever.
lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #48
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

Quote:
I don't generally have much interest in MB, but I think this review points to one reason why bmw is slipping in the eyes of driving enthusiasts. They're making good and sensible, but generally conservative (read boring) cars. If they're going to go the way of MB, and expand the M line up to fill the niche between the normal daily drivers like the 3 series, and track-ready sports sedans like the m3, why not go all the way.

I'm not saying I agree with expanding, and diluting the M brand, but they've decided to go in that direction, so go with it. Why not imbibe the m340i with a little more "M" instead of making it feel like a powerful 3 series? Why not make the selectable drive modes actually change the character of the car more? Instead they used a conservative approach and designed it to appeal to everyone from recent college grads to grandmothers. What you then end up with is a well rounded, sensible car with performance chops that's still a bit boring. Bmw is making cars that people buy after compiling a list of pros and cons, vs cars that draw you into dealerships out of curiosity and excitement.

Thinking back to when I started paying attention to bmw, the e46 m3 was not sensible for the time. Neither was the e60 m5 with its high strung v10 engine. The e90 m3 didn't seem like a left brain decision either with its screaming v8. These days, even the M cars seem sort of like "M-by the numbers". They tick all the right boxes, perform well on the track, and they're plenty exciting, but somehow they don't exactly pull you into the dealership out of sheer curiosity and excitement.

That's the general gist of how I see it. We get a modern bimmer because it's a nice car that checks the right boxes, but it's not necessarily the car that we're day dreaming about. Is that enough to place them at #1 and keep them there? Maybe, but there's still an enthusiast community out there who don't always make left-sided brain purchases when it comes to cars (even daily drivers).

I think this is a problem with the brand right now. I drive a 3 series because it's all I've driven since I was 21. I can afford any car BMW makes and none of them entice me to spend more money. Part of it is the cars try to please everyone now so there is no more strong emotionally connected driving cars that don't have corporate cost cutting in the interiors (2 and 3 series). They still make very good cars, but if was going to lease something say for 1000 bucks a month it's going to be another brand like a Porsche as an example.
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
wknddrivr463.00
      07-10-2019, 01:54 AM   #49
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post
Quote:

I think this is a problem with the brand right now. I drive a 3 series because it's all I've driven since I was 21. I can afford any car BMW makes and none of them entice me to spend more money. Part of it is the cars try to please everyone now so there is no more strong emotionally connected driving cars that don't have corporate cost cutting in the interiors (2 and 3 series). They still make very good cars, but if was going to lease something say for 1000 bucks a month it's going to be another brand like a Porsche as an example.
Yeah, the 3 series is still the best in its segment, yet it doesn't stand out in any particular way. Maybe in a market dominated by suv sales, this is the best strategy since suv sales tend more to be driven by utility and practicality. Those of us who view cars as more than mere appliances lose something though.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 09:09 AM   #50
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, the 3 series is still the best in its segment, yet it doesn't stand out in any particular way. Maybe in a market dominated by suv sales, this is the best strategy since suv sales tend more to be driven by utility and practicality. Those of us who view cars as more than mere appliances lose something though.
I leave the suv driving to the wife. I think the only one I'd consider would be a Macan turbo or a Countryman John Cooper Works
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #51
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
This

The M2c is the only current BMW that I have any emotional draw to. I'm driving a G30 5 series and while it's excellent in so many areas, I'd be completely indifferent replacing it with an accord or civic. Sure, the 5 is better than those two cars, but I wouldn't miss it the way I miss my E90 328 6mt.

My plan is to either replace the 530 in a year with an M2c, G80 M3, or go old school and get an E39 5 series. The current BMW lineup has some good cars, but the M2c is the only one good enough to justify the cost for me, I feel like the G30 was a waste of money...probably worth it as a 3 year old cpo though.

Most cars these days are bland, but I agree, Porsche is bucking the trend of trying to appeal to everyone and a Cayman would be my next car if I didn't have to get a GT4 to get a flat 6
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #52
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I totally agree with the original poster that the 340 feels slower than the C43. I can't believe how slow the 340 feels. When I look at the times compared even to a C63s, it's not much slower at all 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile. But after driving a C63s and getting into the 340, it's just insane how slow it feels considering it's not actually far off in terms of speed.

I recently drove all 3 back to back.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #53
Score04
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post
I totally agree with the original poster that the 340 feels slower than the C43. I can't believe how slow the 340 feels. When I look at the times compared even to a C63s, it's not much slower at all 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile. But after driving a C63s and getting into the 340, it's just insane how slow it feels considering it's not actually far off in terms of speed.

The m340 feels slower than the c43?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #54
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score04 View Post
To me it did. Maybe it's just smoother? I know it's not slower. It just doesn't feel impressive to me.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 07:45 AM   #55
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 Porsche 911 GTS Cab

It's interesting that the C43 has been out since 2014 and still matches well with the all new M340i

Seems to me BMW will be in trouble when the all new C class comes out...
      07-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #56
mcjohnsonsg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
It's interesting that the C43 has been out since 2014 and still matches well with the all new M340i

Am not sure that's true. The C43 is still competitive only because of the updates made towards the end of 2018. I would argue that the original 362bhp C43 would not be competitive with the new M340, in power or technology. Mercedes did a nice job with those updates.

I would expect that BMW will also make some significant updates to the M340 throughout its life to keep it competitive with a new C43. Or maybe I should say that I hope that happens, rather than I expect it to happen!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #57
Joro2819
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI

I am on my 12th BMW and I have looked at other brands to compare. Maybe I am biased but right now there is nothing out there that intices me to switch. I am on my fifth Seven series and am tired of driving a larger car and to be honest it's too comfortable. The new 3 feels like my first BMW, a 98 E39 and I am impressed with the car overall. I am not tracking the car and dont care for a manual or care of I can beat every other car in its class. I just want to enjoy the car for what it is and a few spirited drives when the mood hits me.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #58
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score04 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdriver17 View Post

Don't feed the troll.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #59
gpdriver17
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Don't feed the troll.
I'm not being a troll. I said it's just as fast or faster when you look at the numbers. Just that it feels slow.
2023 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #60
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Am not sure that's true. The C43 is still competitive only because of the updates made towards the end of 2018. I would argue that the original 362bhp C43 would not be competitive with the new M340, in power or technology. Mercedes did a nice job with those updates.

I would expect that BMW will also make some significant updates to the M340 throughout its life to keep it competitive with a new C43. Or maybe I should say that I hope that happens, rather than I expect it to happen!
I understand where you're coming from but for all intents and purposes LCI model or not it's a MY2014. I would have thought the all new 3er would have far surpassed previous gen C.

I have no experience with either so I'm just going off comments on comparing the two
      07-18-2019, 02:13 AM   #61
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I understand where you're coming from but for all intents and purposes LCI model or not it's a MY2014. I would have thought the all new 3er would have far surpassed previous gen C.

I have no experience with either so I'm just going off comments on comparing the two
The m340i likely does surpass the c43 in many ways, especially when it comes to comfort, cutting edge tech etc. Recently some online reviewers preferred the c43, solely due to its sound, stiff suspension, and generally aggressive feel compared to the m340i. Sound, stiff suspension, and aggression aren't necessarily influenced by the age of the current model. I think the m340i does surpass the c43 in areas you'd think it would, given it's a newly designed platform (I.e. tech, comfort, efficiency etc).
Appreciate 1
LSM1118.00
      07-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #62
LSM
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The m340i likely does surpass the c43 in many ways, especially when it comes to comfort, cutting edge tech etc. Recently some online reviewers preferred the c43, solely due to its sound, stiff suspension, and generally aggressive feel compared to the m340i. Sound, stiff suspension, and aggression aren't necessarily influenced by the age of the current model. I think the m340i does surpass the c43 in areas you'd think it would, given it's a newly designed platform (I.e. tech, comfort, efficiency etc).
Agree on tech comfort etx. I would have preferred it would have surpassed it in sportiness, handling, fun. The 3er WAS the pinnacle of the sporty sedan.
      07-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #63
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Agree on tech comfort etx. I would have preferred it would have surpassed it in sportiness, handling, fun. The 3er WAS the pinnacle of the sporty sedan.
I feel the same way. If you're going to give it an m badge in the back, might as well infuse it with some M attitude to match.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 12:28 AM   #64
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
I feel the same way. If you're going to give it an m badge in the back, might as well infuse it with some M attitude to match.
Uh have you guys driven one? It's pretty frickin' sporty. Seems somewhat on par to prior gens of M3 but with more comfort. Just because a car doesn't beat you up doesn't mean it isn't a stellar handling car and sporting drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:36 AM   #65
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Uh have you guys driven one? It's pretty frickin' sporty. Seems somewhat on par to prior gens of M3 but with more comfort. Just because a car doesn't beat you up doesn't mean it isn't a stellar handling car and sporting drive.
Fair points.

Also, no, I haven't driven an m340i or c43, so I'm talking out of my ass to an extent. I shouldn't be asserting strong opinions about the driving experience regarding either car in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:14 PM   #66
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
I'm holding out to see what the M3 will be like. For me, its between that and an M2c.
I drove the M2C at the M school and it was easily my favorite current BMW, and the most nimble M car IMO. It's the first choice after my current lease ends unless I get Porsche money.
Appreciate 0