Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions On the horns of a dilemma - M340i vs C43

07-21-2019, 06:33 AM   #67
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Maybe not the same exact comparison - but I test drove a 2016 C450 AMG (the badge given to the C43 AMG for the 2016 model year) and a F30 340i xDrive and hands down I preferred the F30. This was after spending hours researching the C450/C43 and being totally ready to buy one based on everything I had read (plus I'm a big Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 fan, so I was partial to buying a MB).

The exhaust on the C450 AMG was awesome, I love it - and it felt plenty fast but there was something about it when I was driving the car that I felt disconnected like I was playing a video game - and it ultimately came down to the steering. It wasn't a lack of feedback, but it was how the steering rack seems to be really light no matter what you're doing. When I posted on a MB forum, the people there agreed and said even the C63 AMG feels the same.

The revised C43 AMG makes more power and has had some suspension tuning - but based on the Throttle House review, it sounds like the steering is the same. I didn't bother to test drive the C43 AMG again based on this information.

I ended up buying the F30 340i xDrive (with MPPSK) and have been pretty happy with it. My lease is up in October and I test drove an M340i xDrive and was happy with the way it drove, overall steering was improved over the F30, although I think the power delivery of the M340i feels smoother and less raw than my 340i with MPPSK even though it is a faster car.

Just ordered my M340i, so that was my decision
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #68
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
I drove the M2C at the M school and it was easily my favorite current BMW, and the most nimble M car IMO. It's the first choice after my current lease ends unless I get Porsche money.
I drove the m340 and m2c back to back at the m town thing yesterday and I agree. The m340 they had was RWD with the passive m sport suspension, track handling package and Michelin summer tires (think they were pilot sport 4s or pilot super sport). Frankly, I was underwhelmed with the M340. It drives much closer to the E90 than it does to the F30 which is great. The suspension was a nice balance between sport and luxury. I found it to be slightly jittery but still comfortable enough to drive around terrible LA streets. The steering was improved over the F30 and is tighter and more direct, it offers more feel but the feel still isn’t e90 level.

One thing that surprised me was the engine. I drove to the event in my 2017 530 and I expected to be blown away by the much smoother and more powerful inline 6 in the 340. While the engine had a nice sound, it really wasn’t that much smoother than the 4 in my 530, although I’d probably attribute that more to sound insulation and suspension/chassis tuning than to the engine itself. The b58 is excellent, but I wasn’t wowed by it the way I thought I’d be. Having the extra power certainly is nice if you can take advantage of it, but I can’t in LA traffic and I’d probably just get a 330 msport if I decided to go the G20 route.

The interior quality in the m340 was a huge letdown for me though. It’s better than the f30, but the door panels just looked and felt cheap, the left side armrest felt too narrow and my elbow had a tendency to slip off (and my elbows aren’t exactly huge), and the top of the dashboard on the passenger side above the trim is good quality soft touch material, but it just looks out of proportion and cheap. The seats are very good but for some reason I couldn’t get to a comfortable seating position no matter how much I adjusted the seats. I can’t put my finger on what was wrong but it was almost like I couldn’t get low enough or I couldn’t get in the perfect position relative to the wheel. Not sure what was going on there. Last issue with the interior, the climate control buttons suck. The knobs they had to adjust temperature on the e90 and F30 were much less distracting and I could change them without looking. The buttons they are using now are harder to use without looking and is a step backwards in ergonomics.

Overall the m340 is a good car but it didn’t make me want to sign on the dotted line. It’s a car I’d be content with, but it’s not a car I could ever love and I could see getting bored with it rather quickly.

Next up was the M2c. First thing I notice was the seats were more comfortable than the m340. They could possibly use a bit more bolstering but otherwise they’re excellent. Starting the car surprised me. For all the complaints about the S55 engine note, it certainly feels and sounds special when you hit the start button. At idle, it has that metallic sound typical of m cars and it’s nice and throaty. Right away you know it’s an event and feels so much more special than the m340. I’ve driven M4s several times and the excitement when you start it doesn’t get old.

I’ve driven the OG M2 a few times and based on my experience with that and some of the complaints I’ve seen online, I was expecting the ride to be harsh and punishing. That was not the case at all. I found the m2c to be firmer than the m340, but impacts were less harsh. The suspension in this car is damn near perfect balance of comfort and sport and I can see this being a perfect daily driver. Steering was way more on point than the m340, and the chassis feels much more lively most likely due to the shorter wheelbase.

There’s more steering feel here than any bmw in the current lineup, but it’s nowhere near e90 levels of feel. Engine was perfect for this car, and was pretty much the limit of what makes sense on public roads. You can still break the tail loose with traction control on, but you never are at a point where you’re going to lose control, the car always has your back. Throttle response is excellent and the DCT is great but I’m planning on ordering 6MT. The interior is dated, but seems appropriate for at 2 series whereas I expected more out of a $65k 3 series. I did not have an issue with the arm rest being too narrow on this one eventhough it’s a smaller car.

Overall I came out of the m2c wanting to order it on the spot. It’s the most fun modern car I’ve driven recently, and I’m sure it’ll be a perfect daily driver. DCT and sunset orange are nice, but it’ll be Long Beach Blue and 6MT for me.

I also drove the m5 competition and the m850. The m5 was the most disappointing of the bunch. I came out of it thinking it’s one of the fastest cars I’ve driven but how the hell is it so boring. It’s got too much power for public roads, and the suspension is extremely harsh even with the dampers in comfort. Style wise it doesn’t look much different than my 530 on the inside or out. The engine is too quiet. Steering is direct, has nice weight, and is a massive massive leap over the standard 5 series m sport 704. But it doesn’t make it that much more enjoyable. I’ll take an e39 or e60 m5 over this characterless barge any day.

Last was the m850. This car surprised me because the first thing I noticed was that the steering was much lighter than the others, even in sport plus it’s lower effort than my 530 in sport mode. Thought I was going to hate it, but if you just accept it for being a GT car and ignore the m before the 850, it’s a nice long distance cruiser and quite an enjoyable ride. The only disappointment I have with it is the interior really isn’t that much better than the 340, and at $120k I expect more. It’s a half ass effort. And as far as ride goes, it’s really not all that different from a 5 series with msport package. Unless you are in love with the looks of the m850, I’d just get a 540 or 550 and save $40k. The 5 interior is nicer anyway.

So overall, great event for anyone who is interested, and M2c is absolutely the star of the show.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #69
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Quote:
I drove the M2C at the M school and it was easily my favorite current BMW, and the most nimble M car IMO. It's the first choice after my current lease ends unless I get Porsche money.
Next up was the M2c. First thing I notice was the seats were more comfortable than the m340. They could possibly use a bit more bolstering but otherwise they're excellent. Starting the car surprised me. For all the complaints about the S55 engine note, it certainly feels and sounds special when you hit the start button. At idle, it has that metallic sound typical of m cars and it's nice and throaty. Right away you know it's an event and feels so much more special than the m340. I've driven M4s several times and the excitement when you start it doesn't get old.

I've driven the OG M2 a few times and based on my experience with that and some of the complaints I've seen online, I was expecting the ride to be harsh and punishing. That was not the case at all. I found the m2c to be firmer than the m340, but impacts were less harsh. The suspension in this car is damn near perfect balance of comfort and sport and I can see this being a perfect daily driver. Steering was way more on point than the m340, and the chassis feels much more lively most likely due to the shorter wheelbase.

There's more steering feel here than any bmw in the current lineup, but it's nowhere near e90 levels of feel. Engine was perfect for this car, and was pretty much the limit of what makes sense on public roads. You can still break the tail loose with traction control on, but you never are at a point where you're going to lose control, the car always has your back. Throttle response is excellent and the DCT is great but I'm planning on ordering 6MT. The interior is dated, but seems appropriate for at 2 series whereas I expected more out of a $65k 3 series. I did not have an issue with the arm rest being too narrow on this one eventhough it's a smaller car.

Overall I came out of the m2c wanting to order it on the spot. It's the most fun modern car I've driven recently, and I'm sure it'll be a perfect daily driver. DCT and sunset orange are nice, but it'll be Long Beach Blue and 6MT for me.

So overall, great event for anyone who is interested, and M2c is absolutely the star of the show.
BMW has a big problem on their hands when they update/redesign the M2/2 series. Despite its low sales, the 2er has easily become the best and most favorited/praised BMW on sale w/in recent years, and truthfully one of the only BMW's that feels like "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

The 2er is essentially the E39 of the modern age where its so close to perfection that they can't afford to screw it up.
      07-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #70
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
I drove the m340 and m2c back to back at the m town thing yesterday and I agree. The m340 they had was RWD with the passive m sport suspension, track handling package and Michelin summer tires (think they were pilot sport 4s or pilot super sport). Frankly, I was underwhelmed with the M340. It drives much closer to the E90 than it does to the F30 which is great. The suspension was a nice balance between sport and luxury. I found it to be slightly jittery but still comfortable enough to drive around terrible LA streets. The steering was improved over the F30 and is tighter and more direct, it offers more feel but the feel still isn’t e90 level.

One thing that surprised me was the engine. I drove to the event in my 2017 530 and I expected to be blown away by the much smoother and more powerful inline 6 in the 340. While the engine had a nice sound, it really wasn’t that much smoother than the 4 in my 530, although I’d probably attribute that more to sound insulation and suspension/chassis tuning than to the engine itself. The b58 is excellent, but I wasn’t wowed by it the way I thought I’d be. Having the extra power certainly is nice if you can take advantage of it, but I can’t in LA traffic and I’d probably just get a 330 msport if I decided to go the G20 route.

The interior quality in the m340 was a huge letdown for me though. It’s better than the f30, but the door panels just looked and felt cheap, the left side armrest felt too narrow and my elbow had a tendency to slip off (and my elbows aren’t exactly huge), and the top of the dashboard on the passenger side above the trim is good quality soft touch material, but it just looks out of proportion and cheap. The seats are very good but for some reason I couldn’t get to a comfortable seating position no matter how much I adjusted the seats. I can’t put my finger on what was wrong but it was almost like I couldn’t get low enough or I couldn’t get in the perfect position relative to the wheel. Not sure what was going on there. Last issue with the interior, the climate control buttons suck. The knobs they had to adjust temperature on the e90 and F30 were much less distracting and I could change them without looking. The buttons they are using now are harder to use without looking and is a step backwards in ergonomics.

Overall the m340 is a good car but it didn’t make me want to sign on the dotted line. It’s a car I’d be content with, but it’s not a car I could ever love and I could see getting bored with it rather quickly.

Next up was the M2c. First thing I notice was the seats were more comfortable than the m340. They could possibly use a bit more bolstering but otherwise they’re excellent. Starting the car surprised me. For all the complaints about the S55 engine note, it certainly feels and sounds special when you hit the start button. At idle, it has that metallic sound typical of m cars and it’s nice and throaty. Right away you know it’s an event and feels so much more special than the m340. I’ve driven M4s several times and the excitement when you start it doesn’t get old.

I’ve driven the OG M2 a few times and based on my experience with that and some of the complaints I’ve seen online, I was expecting the ride to be harsh and punishing. That was not the case at all. I found the m2c to be firmer than the m340, but impacts were less harsh. The suspension in this car is damn near perfect balance of comfort and sport and I can see this being a perfect daily driver. Steering was way more on point than the m340, and the chassis feels much more lively most likely due to the shorter wheelbase.

There’s more steering feel here than any bmw in the current lineup, but it’s nowhere near e90 levels of feel. Engine was perfect for this car, and was pretty much the limit of what makes sense on public roads. You can still break the tail loose with traction control on, but you never are at a point where you’re going to lose control, the car always has your back. Throttle response is excellent and the DCT is great but I’m planning on ordering 6MT. The interior is dated, but seems appropriate for at 2 series whereas I expected more out of a $65k 3 series. I did not have an issue with the arm rest being too narrow on this one eventhough it’s a smaller car.

Overall I came out of the m2c wanting to order it on the spot. It’s the most fun modern car I’ve driven recently, and I’m sure it’ll be a perfect daily driver. DCT and sunset orange are nice, but it’ll be Long Beach Blue and 6MT for me.

I also drove the m5 competition and the m850. The m5 was the most disappointing of the bunch. I came out of it thinking it’s one of the fastest cars I’ve driven but how the hell is it so boring. It’s got too much power for public roads, and the suspension is extremely harsh even with the dampers in comfort. Style wise it doesn’t look much different than my 530 on the inside or out. The engine is too quiet. Steering is direct, has nice weight, and is a massive massive leap over the standard 5 series m sport 704. But it doesn’t make it that much more enjoyable. I’ll take an e39 or e60 m5 over this characterless barge any day.

Last was the m850. This car surprised me because the first thing I noticed was that the steering was much lighter than the others, even in sport plus it’s lower effort than my 530 in sport mode. Thought I was going to hate it, but if you just accept it for being a GT car and ignore the m before the 850, it’s a nice long distance cruiser and quite an enjoyable ride. The only disappointment I have with it is the interior really isn’t that much better than the 340, and at $120k I expect more. It’s a half ass effort. And as far as ride goes, it’s really not all that different from a 5 series with msport package. Unless you are in love with the looks of the m850, I’d just get a 540 or 550 and save $40k. The 5 interior is nicer anyway.

We have very similar tastes, I also disliked the M5.

The G20 is a nice car that's just too big. I test drive the 330i, and I just couldn't feel it. Felt very boaty which to me is a big problem for a three series. If it were a five it would be great. But basically we have two 5 series now.

The M2 had me smiling as I threw it into corners and broke hard. Granted I don't track on a regular basis, but it was just a pure joy to drive-- isn't that what we all want?

I also liked the interior being minimalistic and kind of 'analog' feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
BMW has a big problem on their hands when they update/redesign the M2/2 series. Despite its low sales, the 2er has easily become the best and most favorited/praised BMW on sale w/in recent years, and truthfully one of the only BMW's that feels like "The Ultimate Driving Machine."

The 2er is essentially the E39 of the modern age where its so close to perfection that they can't afford to screw it up.
I'm a little worried about that too. I know they have to eventually change it, but maybe they shouldn't. It's the only bimmer I would actually want after my F30 lease ends (not that I wouldn't drive a g20, it just not as inspiring as the M2)

Maybe they'll go the 718 route and keep it the same? Or at least keep the elements that make it a great car the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
(plus I'm a big Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 fan, so I was partial to buying a MB).
I'm curious what it's like to be a Mercedes fan? There's nothing particularly exciting about Ham/Bot getting huge leads and just lapping everyone all race. I know it's a testament to them doing everything right, but goddamn if it isn't boring.

But then again I'm a Ferrari fan and anybody in the stands can come up with better strategy then they can, so I guess you can't throw rocks in a glass house
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #71
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm curious what it's like to be a Mercedes fan? There's nothing particularly exciting about Ham/Bot getting huge leads and just lapping everyone all race. I know it's a testament to them doing everything right, but goddamn if it isn't boring.

But then again I'm a Ferrari fan and anybody in the stands can come up with better strategy then they can, so I guess you can't throw rocks in a glass house
LOL - Honestly I'm a Hamilton fan, he got me watching in 2007 when he was a rookie and I've been a fan ever since. The HAM/ROS years were more exciting since there actually seemed to be some competition between the drivers. Silverstone was at least a bit exciting in the beginning of the race with both drivers fighting for the lead.

But I agree some more competition would be more exciting, even if that meant Hamilton didn't win the WDC that year.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #72
tkila
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M5 CS

Go for the M340xi. I've driven everything in this segment including the latest Audi S4, C43 AMG, Jaguar XE with 3.0L engine, Q50 red sport, Lexus IS350, Volvo S60 Polestar...

I actually find the steering on the E90 3 series to be numb and overly heavy compared to an E46.

If you asked me which car put the greatest smile on me, it would be the Volvo S60 Polestar with the older inline 6 engine. Man, the sound from the Ferrita exhaust sounds amazing. Steering has a lot of feel and the wheel itself is probably the best steering wheel I've held on to. The seats are probably the best in any car I've sat in. The only downsides was a jiggly ride from the stiff Ohlin shocks and tire noise from the Michelin pilot sports. Transmission is not the quickest but that engine has amazing torque down low and doesn't feel slow at all.

This Volvo is probably the most underrated performance vehicle ever. Even a M2 competition or M4 CS does not make me laugh as hard as this Volvo. M products are too refined, too filtered
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:03 PM   #73
chickennuggets
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
LOL - Honestly I'm a Hamilton fan, he got me watching in 2007 when he was a rookie and I've been a fan ever since. The HAM/ROS years were more exciting since there actually seemed to be some competition between the drivers. Silverstone was at least a bit exciting in the beginning of the race with both drivers fighting for the lead.

But I agree some more competition would be more exciting, even if that meant Hamilton didn't win the WDC that year.
Totally understand. Silverstone was fun, I wish the safety car didn't totally mess up BOT/HAM's battle. It was really fun to watch them duke it out while Ferrari and Red Bull were going at it.

I'm also starting to really like VER.

Thing that makes the Mercedes dominance boring is the same reason I love F1, it is the top of the class, best engineering/best driver wins. While I would like more competition, I don't want it to turn into IndyCar where it's all socialized to death.

Hamilton is the best driver with the best car, so he deserves to win. Watching him fend off Max in Monaco this year on dead tires was a blast to watch.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #74
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

So my current drive is a 2016 340i X-Drive. My prior ride was a 2013 Audi S4 (btw great car).

My lease is up and the plan was to simply go with 2020 M340i XDrive.

However, at the end of last month (August) while at the BMW dealership my wife fell in love with a 2019 X3 M40i (white). It had everything she wanted Premium package, Executive package. She needed a new car...her X5 was turning 16!! We also got a fantastic deal on this X3 M40i (20% off MSRP). Amazing.

Anyway, the dealer this month was having problems brining in an M340i X-Drive. He had RWDs on the lot but no X-Drives. I need X-Drive.

So I happened to go to the Mercedes Dealer that is 5 minutes from my house (BMW dealer is 30 minutes) and test drove a red C43 AMG with AMG exhaust and nicely optioned. Wow!! That 2019 C43 is a great car...you would swear it was a BMW. Seriously. I never really cared for Mercedes but this C43 just won my heart. I could not stop thinking about it after my test drive (a sign of a great car).

So in the end, as my wife had a new X3 M40i we decided that variety is a good thing.

Having the X3 M40i and the C43 AMG in garage just gives a little more variety that having an X3 M40i and a M340i. Its good to mix things up.

When you test drive vehicles like the M340i, X3-M40i, and C43 AMG you realize just what a great job both BMW and Mercedes are doing with these 6 cylinder cars. They are so much fun and really get the pulse running.

The manufacturer that has somehow fallen behind is Audi. When I got my 2013 B8.5 S4 that car was the best in this class hands down (IMO). I test drove the B9 S4 ...not only was it not in the same league as the M340i or the C43...it was not as rewarding as my 2013 B8.5 S4!!! They fell off the top of the mountain with the B9 S4. BMW and Mercedes are now the contenders.
Appreciate 4
      09-23-2019, 02:05 PM   #75
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
^^ it’s the internet, pics or it didn’t happen.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #76
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy340i View Post
So my current drive is a 2016 340i X-Drive. My prior ride was a 2013 Audi S4 (btw great car).

My lease is up and the plan was to simply go with 2020 M340i XDrive.

However, at the end of last month (August) while at the BMW dealership my wife fell in love with a 2019 X3 M40i (white). It had everything she wanted Premium package, Executive package. She needed a new car...her X5 was turning 16!! We also got a fantastic deal on this X3 M40i (20% off MSRP). Amazing.

Anyway, the dealer this month was having problems brining in an M340i X-Drive. He had RWDs on the lot but no X-Drives. I need X-Drive.

So I happened to go to the Mercedes Dealer that is 5 minutes from my house (BMW dealer is 30 minutes) and test drove a red C43 AMG with AMG exhaust and nicely optioned. Wow!! That 2019 C43 is a great car...you would swear it was a BMW. Seriously. I never really cared for Mercedes but this C43 just won my heart. I could not stop thinking about it after my test drive (a sign of a great car).

So in the end, as my wife had a new X3 M40i we decided that variety is a good thing.

Having the X3 M40i and the C43 AMG in garage just gives a little more variety that having an X3 M40i and a M340i. Its good to mix things up.

When you test drive vehicles like the M340i, X3-M40i, and C43 AMG you realize just what a great job both BMW and Mercedes are doing with these 6 cylinder cars. They are so much fun and really get the pulse running.

The manufacturer that has somehow fallen behind is Audi. When I got my 2013 B8.5 S4 that car was the best in this class hands down (IMO). I test drove the B9 S4 ...not only was it not in the same league as the M340i or the C43...it was not as rewarding as my 2013 B8.5 S4!!! They fell off the top of the mountain with the B9 S4. BMW and Mercedes are now the contenders.
Congrats on the C43 and X3, thats a nice combo.

I agree with everything you've said. After owning BMWs for over 2 decades (and nothing else) I now have a Mercedes in the garage and I love it. Its a nice refresher and something new and different, while still retaining that engaging driving feel.

The new B9 is such a disappointment, 100%. They got rid of the B8.5's best features, the manual/DCT and the supercharged V6, and the transmission tuning on the new one is terribly laggy. The styling looks good (at least the pre-refresh that is) but it offers nothing that its competitors can't do. Hopefully they can get back to making better cars, but I don't find myself liking Audi's new direction (less restrained styling, touch screen everything, mild-hybrids that don't add anything, etc.)
      09-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #77
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just took delivery of my M340i xDrive a little over a week ago. One thing I found out, especially if you're coming from an F30 ... Sport Plus is a different engine and transmission mode than Sport. In the F30, Sport Plus was just Sport mode with Traction/Stability Control set to Dynamic Mode - and so I hardly drove in Sport Plus, since as a DD, you normally want that turned on. But in the G20, Sport Plus still has Traction/Stability control turned on (although it will let you slide the tail out a little bit).

The difference imho is night and day between Sport and Sport Plus - the exhaust sounds louder, the engine is more responsive and the transmission shifts are more firm. In my previous comment, I said I thought the M340i's power delivery was smoother and made the car feel slower than my F30 340i xDrive, but that was because I was driving in Sport mode. In Sport plus mode the engine comes alive and it feel stronger, like you're getting thrown back into the seat more.

The exhaust still doesn't sound as nice as the C43 and thats one of the biggest drawbacks of the M340i. I wish they gave it the same exhaust as the MPPSK on the F30.

Just an FYI for anyone test driving the M340i!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:49 PM   #78
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

I own both and the only thing better about the MB is the exhaust note ( and not by much) and interior depending on your preference. I prefer the BMW interior and its simplicity. I also find that the bmw drives and handles better ( Sport Mode and Sport Plus ) and is generally more fun to drive. MB drives more like a boat.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 01:59 AM   #79
DanielGr
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: '05 LMB 130i

I had a chance to drive the latest C43 Coupe a month or so ago whilst one of my friends still worked at Mercedes.

I'll start off with that I have not yet driven an M340i, as they are only just about to be made available here in Australia. It's looking pretty likely that the M340i will be my next car, but I was curious to try the C43 to see how it stacked up given all the praise it gets.

I'll do the TL;DR up front: It's meh

I took it out to a twisty driving road I know well, which included probably ~1hr of normal road driving as well. I'll try keep the thoughts short and sweet:

Engine: Didn't feel like anything special, bit flat and runs out of puff up top. Exhaust cracks on up shift is great but sounds pretty monotone otherwise (much prefer the N55 in my M235i)

Chassis: Reasonably stiff and a bit crashy at normal speeds, but becomes very compliant and confidence inspiring over large compressions/rises and mid-corner bumps when you're driving at speed.

Steering: Has some very weird assistance/variable rack speed going on. Did not like it at all. Has absolutely no feel through it either.

Gearbox: Now we get to the worst part, the gearbox. What a fking shocker. Compared to the ZF8 we've come to know in many BMWs (and other cars), it was like driving an auto from 10-15 years ago. Constantly refusing downshifts, doesn't shift until 500rpm after you've requested the shift, by which time you've hit the soft limiter and then it decides not to shift, so you have to request the shift again which happens a second later.

I also found it to be quite poor around town, particularly during downshifts when braking to a light. Had a noticeable jerk as it downshifts.

The gearbox if nothing else would stop me from buying the car.

Brakes: Felt like pedal was starting to go a bit soft towards the end of the road, which my M235i on stock pads doesn't. Otherwise I didn't really notice much with them.

Interior: Having been in a fair few cars over the last couple of years thanks to some journalist friends, I've never raved about the MB interiors. Whilst I think they look great (but will age poorly), they're built poorly and have fairly cheap materials. The Burmester stereo in the C43 was also shocking, with way too much (bad & muddy) bass even with it turned almost to minimum!

Digital dash is also a lot nicer than what BMW currently has but that being said, I haven't personally experienced the new BMW digital dash yet.

That'll do. I don't really get the comments that this car is closer to a C63, as doesn't really feel that special to me. It is a pretty flawed vehicle that I wouldn't consider for the price they are here ($80k USD for the coupe!) They are insanely popular though, as MB is in genral here, so maybe I'm the one who's wrong
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:26 AM   #80
networkn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 Touring

Wow, I am so happy I found this thread.

I have been so torn.

I have a 2015 335D xDrive Wagon, which I absoloutely LOVE.

I've been following the G20 since it was first rumored and I was so excited when I saw the spec of the M340xi, then when the reviews were so positive, I felt it was a foregone conclusion I would buy one.

I went and test drove one, and I had a pretty bad experience with the dealer, which made my test drive not as enjoyable as I would have liked, they only wanted me to take it for a short drive and I felt I didn't really connect to it. Power delivery is SO different from the 335D and I felt to get it moving I really had the plant the boot, then it would just be going a bazillion miles an hour. With my 335D, even in normal mode, if I want to move, I just plant my foot slightly, and the power is delivered smoothly. Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to it, but it felt a little like the old RS4 and RS6's where it was either stopped, or doing flat out and nothing in between?

On paper it's an exceptional car, and I will arrange another decent test drive at some stage soon.

I had seen the videos for the C43 and had been considering the S4 (I had a v8 one of those previously which I also loved) but decided the S4 wasn't good enough for now. I had pretty much decided against the Merc but I was on holiday over xmas and I happened near a dealer who was really keen for me to try it. Wow. From the moment I sat in it, driving around with it, etc, I was totally blown away.

I didn't get to drive either car around any windy roads, which is kind of my acid test.

My biggest fear with replacing my 335D, is how stable it feels cornering with the M-Sport Adaptive Suspension and Steering turned on. I have never owned a car that handles the corners like this and a few of the newer cars I have driven, like the 2018 S4, felt twitchy and the steering felt loose. When I corner moderately hard on a not completely smooth surface, in a lot of cars I feel like the car will judder sideways, lose grip and I'll end up in a ditch or lose control.

I am wondering if anyone here knows my vehicle and knows how either the M340xi or C43 AMG handles comparitively? Handling trumps most other things in my opinion.

One thing that blew me away is how much I LOVED the steering wheel in the C43. I can't really explain why, but the flat bottom made a difference in a way that I can't really understand

The last thing, and I know it's the very definition of a first world problem, is how I worry it will be percieved if, in my 40's I pull up at a clients, in a Mercedes. Price and build between it and the BMW or even Audi are pretty similar, but it feels still, like Mercedes is considered a car you buy in retirement, even though I know they make some rip snorting cars...

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #81
stein_325i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post

I have been so torn.

I have a 2015 335D xDrive Wagon, which I absoloutely LOVE.

I've been following the G20 since it was first rumored and I was so excited when I saw the spec of the M340xi, then when the reviews were so positive, I felt it was a foregone conclusion I would buy one.

I went and test drove one, and I had a pretty bad experience with the dealer, which made my test drive not as enjoyable as I would have liked, they only wanted me to take it for a short drive and I felt I didn't really connect to it. Power delivery is SO different from the 335D and I felt to get it moving I really had the plant the boot, then it would just be going a bazillion miles an hour. With my 335D, even in normal mode, if I want to move, I just plant my foot slightly, and the power is delivered smoothly. Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to it, but it felt a little like the old RS4 and RS6's where it was either stopped, or doing flat out and nothing in between?

On paper it's an exceptional car, and I will arrange another decent test drive at some stage soon.

I had seen the videos for the C43 and had been considering the S4 (I had a v8 one of those previously which I also loved) but decided the S4 wasn't good enough for now. I had pretty much decided against the Merc but I was on holiday over xmas and I happened near a dealer who was really keen for me to try it. Wow. From the moment I sat in it, driving around with it, etc, I was totally blown away.

I didn't get to drive either car around any windy roads, which is kind of my acid test.

My biggest fear with replacing my 335D, is how stable it feels cornering with the M-Sport Adaptive Suspension and Steering turned on. I have never owned a car that handles the corners like this and a few of the newer cars I have driven, like the 2018 S4, felt twitchy and the steering felt loose. When I corner moderately hard on a not completely smooth surface, in a lot of cars I feel like the car will judder sideways, lose grip and I'll end up in a ditch or lose control.

I am wondering if anyone here knows my vehicle and knows how either the M340xi or C43 AMG handles comparitively? Handling trumps most other things in my opinion.

One thing that blew me away is how much I LOVED the steering wheel in the C43. I can't really explain why, but the flat bottom made a difference in a way that I can't really understand

The last thing, and I know it's the very definition of a first world problem, is how I worry it will be percieved if, in my 40's I pull up at a clients, in a Mercedes. Price and build between it and the BMW or even Audi are pretty similar, but it feels still, like Mercedes is considered a car you buy in retirement, even though I know they make some rip snorting cars...

I personally prefer the C43, but the two cars are as close as they've ever been, that opinions are of course very subjective, and this is a BMW forum after all, and not a Mercedes one. The handling in the C feels more agile and just overall sportier in my opinion, however the steering is a lot lighter but more natural in its feel with decent feedback. The ride is also more stiff, some say overly so, again, thats a subjective matter so you'd have to test it. Exhaust and transmission are great and sound really nice with bangs/pops on up and downshifts, and I prefer the exterior and interior of the C to the 3, especially the gorgeous steering wheel like you mentioned.

Just saying as this is a BMW forum, you'll likely get people to tell you to go straight for the Bimmer, but I also recommend you test drive both vehicles back to back and post something on MBWorld, as there are some ex-BMW owners on there, and the C43 owners can give you some perspective as well, and also since at the end of the day it'll be your car, your the best to judge how they drive.

I believe in New Zealand (although could be wrong), you are also lucky enough to get the choice of either M340 or C43 in wagon form too! Something I wish we had in the US.

Here's a thread I made a while back with my thoughts on the C43 and M340

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1641736
      02-05-2020, 08:54 AM   #82
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Comp xDrive

Loved the C43 but the ride was way too harsh for me as a daily driver, and I have a fairly high tolerance for stiff suspension. The other thing that landed me on the M340i over the C43, is that the C Class is going to be getting a major model change in the next year or so. I hate having old product, even if it's still good.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:19 AM   #83
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Loved the C43 but the ride was way too harsh for me as a daily driver, and I have a fairly high tolerance for stiff suspension. The other thing that landed me on the M340i over the C43, is that the C Class is going to be getting a major model change in the next year or so. I hate having old product, even if it's still good.
+1

Same two things were deal breakers for me as well. Aside from the much harsher ride in the C43, the M340i is next gen and the current C43 is previous gen. Mercedes has attempted to keep it updated with MBUX integration, digital dash display, etc. But those are simply minor upgrades to a 5 year old design due for a major overhaul very soon.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #84
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkn View Post

As mentioned before with M340 you are getting a modern platform with all the newest BMW features, that you will miss in MB

- remote start
- laser lights
- full autonomous driving Aka traffic jam assist with 3 Kafas cameras
- full connected drive features, remote view etc
- self park and self back up assist
- future platform update and features via OTA updates

As for power and handling. What you are talking about in your 335D - is immediate low end torque you feel from diesel. Petrol cars will not have that unless you get a V8 in M550.
Turbo Petrol engines need to be wound up and will launch you similar to sling shot vs cannon in Diesel engine. Petrol will also have more high end power where diesel will run out of steam.

Again M340 - is an amazing car in this regard with numbers under 4 seconds to 60 mph. Cornering wise - it will also outhanle MB adn will be faster on any given track.

You have to push the cars to the limit to really get the cornering comparison. Try to get the test drive in M340 without the sales person to nag on you. Find the car with summer tires (michelin PS4) and try it on a couple o empty ramps or even a n empty parking lot.
Report back to us
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #85
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
I feel your pain, especially on the 40 and Benz route, that is one of the factors that swayed me on the M340i which I just ordered. Also one of the reasons I ended up with Black/Blue over Black instead of something more expressive like Portimao Blue or Sunset Orange.

Ultimately it was my blessed luck to do an autocross event with RWD M340s (much closer in weight to the AWD Benz) on summer tires that sealed it for me. I felt the M340i was more capable but less shouty about it. My analogy was that the Benz was smug and confident with a little swagger, while the BMW just smiled knowingly.

The Benz is always on in Sport mode and off in Comfort, the BMW is always more in the middle. Yet in the right circumstances it can really dance and give you the confidence to take that next corner a little harder, a little faster and still stay in control.

Definitely see if you can arrange a more extensive test drive, preferably on roads you know so you can get a real feel between the two as cars without the distractions of learning the roads. Good luck with your decision!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #86
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I owned an F30 340i xDrive with the Adaptive suspension, so not exactly the same as your 2015 F30 335D xDrive Wagon but close? I currently own a 2020 G20 M340i xDrive. I haven't test driven the refreshed C43 AMG, but I test drove the pre-refresh C450 AMG Sport (which was rebadged the C43 AMG).

Between the F30 and G20 - the G20 wins hands down on handling imho. The G20 just feels more neutral and the more rigid chassis can definitely be felt. Also don't notice any issues with bump steer or issues when driving on less than ideal road surfaces mid-corner. The M340 even with xDrive will let you slide the car around corners more than the F30 with xDrive would when in Sport/Sport+ but I think thats a good thing

With regard to the car being either too slow or full tilt, I think you may just need to get used to the car - as I haven't found that to be the case at all. In fact I don't normally floor the M340i much at all and still find it has plenty of power for day to day driving. Coming from a Diesel you probably just need to get used to having less torque down low.

On the C43 - I personally couldn't stand how lightweight the steering felt, but that is just my opinion. Since the C43 has been refreshed and has a different suspension, I don't know if my comments would be valid for the current C43.

The exhaust on the C43 however is amazing and I wish the M340 sounded like that. My F30 340i had the MPPSK which was on par with the sound the C43 makes imho and I miss it! The MPE is available now for the G20 which would help there if you like the C43's exhaust sound.

I think you definitely need to give the M340 a proper test drive again though as I think the car handles noticeably better than the F30 and if thats what you're trying to compare to - you'd be happy with the M340.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #87
paulbazoV2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW IX X50

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickForLife View Post
I feel your pain, especially on the 40 and Benz route, that is one of the factors that swayed me on the M340i which I just ordered. Also one of the reasons I ended up with Black/Blue over Black instead of something more expressive like Portimao Blue or Sunset Orange.

Ultimately it was my blessed luck to do an autocross event with RWD M340s (much closer in weight to the AWD Benz) on summer tires that sealed it for me. I felt the M340i was more capable but less shouty about it. My analogy was that the Benz was smug and confident with a little swagger, while the BMW just smiled knowingly.

The Benz is always on in Sport mode and off in Comfort, the BMW is always more in the middle. Yet in the right circumstances it can really dance and give you the confidence to take that next corner a little harder, a little faster and still stay in control.

Definitely see if you can arrange a more extensive test drive, preferably on roads you know so you can get a real feel between the two as cars without the distractions of learning the roads. Good luck with your decision!
I have an M340 and my wife a C43

I find the C43's suspension too stiff, the transmission too jerky, and it has too many rattles, (assembled in Alabama )

Both cars are loaded, the C43 has the designo interior and ventilated seats and the leather looks and feels nicer than the bmw's vernasca, I like the 19" amg wheels better than the BMW's, but other than that, the M340 is better.

I would not get a C43 now, the next gen is coming out as a 2021 model (later this year),
Appreciate 1
nathanm4681.00
      02-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #88
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

The Merc looks plastic, plain and simple. Inside and out.

It drives anodyne. I wouldn't drive one if they gave it to me.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 0