Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Fitting a road bike in the G20 saloon

03-05-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Fitting a road bike in the G20 saloon

I've always gone for estate style cars in the past but loved the G20 when I saw it. The boot is a pretty decent size and rather than wait for the tourer to come down in price I resigned to taking the front wheel off if needed..........no need though.

I have posted this as it's pretty hard to find information like this and as a cyclist it would have been nice to know in advance. My bike is a canyon ultimate (size small) and it fits in a treat. Hopefully this may help someone else who's considering swerving the tourer for whatever reason.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      03-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #2
Vossy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M Sport

I take the wheels off my road bike when I stick it in the car.

I’m still using rim brakes and not disk so I don’t have the issue of rubbing/squealing when I put the wheels back in
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d, Porsche Boxster

That's interesting as I struggle to get the bike in my F10 saloon without taking a wheel out. But once I've wiggled it through the folded seats, it does leave space for a few bags so I can take a week of clothes plus sports kit and laptop bag with me. That looks a bit tighter for other stuff if the bike is in, but it's reassuring to know it works, as it is what is holding me back from ordering right now.

The TT bike could be a bit more difficult due to the aero bars, too.

But it looks fairly workable.

You weren't at the Castle Combe Duathlon / TT last Sunday, were you? - I saw someone in a 330e with a bike in the boot.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
BMKILLA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslander View Post
That's interesting as I struggle to get the bike in my F10 saloon without taking a wheel out. But once I've wiggled it through the folded seats, it does leave space for a few bags so I can take a week of clothes plus sports kit and laptop bag with me. That looks a bit tighter for other stuff if the bike is in, but it's reassuring to know it works, as it is what is holding me back from ordering right now.

The TT bike could be a bit more difficult due to the aero bars, too.

But it looks fairly workable.

You weren't at the Castle Combe Duathlon / TT last Sunday, were you? - I saw someone in a 330e with a bike in the boot.
I wish! No haven't been out for a few months with this weather. I'd take the front wheel off if I had to but you need to remember to check the brakes as the pistons can close if you touch the brake with the wheel off. There's still a good bit of room to jam stuff in too if needed.

I was going to buy the touring when they came down in price but honestly I don't think the g21 looks as good as the g20 imo and as my bike fits in I'm happy to stay in a g20, granted I could probably get one of the kids in the back of a tourer with the bike in there but as I have 3 it's no real advantage!!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
M340aye
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMKILLA View Post
I've always gone for estate style cars in the past but loved the G20 when I saw it. The boot is a pretty decent size and rather than wait for the tourer to come down in price I resigned to taking the front wheel off if needed..........no need though.

I have posted this as it's pretty hard to find information like this and as a cyclist it would have been nice to know in advance. My bike is a canyon ultimate (size small) and it fits in a treat. Hopefully this may help someone else who's considering swerving the tourer for whatever reason.
Really useful, thank you! I have been trying to find this out for sometime, surprisingly little info available. I have an m340i on order and this will be my first saloon, was worrying about not being able to easily put bike in like I can with my current Audi S5 Sportback. I am guessing it will be a bit of a squeeze, my road bikes (n+1 rule, right?) are medium frame. I have specced the folding towbar as an extra means of bike carrying, but now wondering whether I could have managed without.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #6
Sooty
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I only just managed to fit an electric scooter in the boot of my 330e. Squeezed it in eventually though!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #7
thelegendofyrag
Rep

Needed to get my road bike and my two kids in the car last week! I've got a large frame I'm 6'2! Managed to get the frame in the boot with the seat post, rear derailleur and bars removed. Bit of a faff but only takes ten minutes. As the frame laid flat due to pedals being off I could fit my wheels in their bags on top. Shoes and helmet etc. Sat in the gaps in the frame and my overnight bag in the front.

Sod all space in the 330e but it is surprising what you can fit in them!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 03:44 PM   #8
M340aye
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegendofyrag View Post
Needed to get my road bike and my two kids in the car last week! I've got a large frame I'm 6'2! Managed to get the frame in the boot with the seat post, rear derailleur and bars removed. Bit of a faff but only takes ten minutes. As the frame laid flat due to pedals being off I could fit my wheels in their bags on top. Shoes and helmet etc. Sat in the gaps in the frame and my overnight bag in the front.

Have you been able to fit it with the seats down?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:48 PM   #9
thelegendofyrag
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340aye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegendofyrag View Post

Have you been able to fit it with the seats down?
Haven't had the need to try as yet. With the seat post off and wheels in the boot it fits behind the front seats (I have the kids seats in the back and can't always take them out)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
Auslander
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d, Porsche Boxster

The X1 xDrive 25e has now hit our lists and although I prefer the updated tech. in the 330e, the X1 is much more suited to my lifestyle - so I'm looking to order an MSport+ with Tech Pack 2 and bike rack prep.
Appreciate 0