Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Lowered on Dinan Springs....

11-28-2021, 08:25 PM   #23
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Just followed you on IG. Car looks amazing, very nice job.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 08:42 PM   #24
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpowers36 View Post
Just followed you on IG. Car looks amazing, very nice job.
Kind of you - thank you. Feel free to drop me a line here or on IG if there is anything I can do to help
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      12-13-2021, 04:15 PM   #25
SoCalM340i
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW M340i xDrive

Perfect amount of lowering and stance that doesn't make the car look slammed. Nice choice and thanks for posting. Glad to meet a fellow M340i from SoCal/OC.
      12-15-2021, 10:17 PM   #26
frylock46nd2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340, Hemi Jeep, Mustang

Looks killer, look like 20's too, they are light weight flow forged for sure...What brand, exact sizes of wheel and tire, and offset are they? Again they look amazing!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 08:24 AM   #27
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Just saw Dinan post (via FB) that they finally have an xDrive model in for spring development.

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2022, 12:37 PM   #28
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frylock46nd2 View Post
Looks killer, look like 20's too, they are light weight flow forged for sure...What brand, exact sizes of wheel and tire, and offset are they? Again they look amazing!
Thanks for the kind words
  • 19x9 Square
  • ET25
  • 5MM on front - but 100% not necessary just for cosmetics (this makes front ET20)
  • 255/35/19 Conti tires
  • HRE FF10
  • Dinan Springs
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 06:40 PM   #29
ctbimmerfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix, '03 E39 540i/6

Thumbs up Looking good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Thanks for the kind words
  • 19x9 Square
  • ET25
  • 5MM on front - but 100% not necessary just for cosmetics (this makes front ET20)
  • 255/35/19 Conti tires
  • HRE FF10
  • Dinan Springs
Just followed you on IG as well and have read a ton of your posts on here.
I'm still up in the air with a +1 wheel/tire setup (considering both Vossens and HREs) those FF10s certainly look great!

My Dinan lowering springs just arrived yesterday and the bump stops will be delivered next week. I also picked up the new Dinan CAI and strut tower braces and have a Dinan exhaust is on order (who knows maybe I'll get it by August?)

Also really appreciated the shots of the stock 791Ms with the spacers installed (along with the dyno vid). They look quite good when pushed out a bit (and are very nice looking OE wheels IMO). I think the combo of the Dinan lowering springs w/stock wheels and spacers is a very good look.

That may end up being my fall/winter setup and I'd run the 20s in the spring and summer... stay tuned!

Oh and PS - which front lip is that? (not sure I'll be that brave)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 08:13 PM   #30
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbimmerfan View Post
Oh and PS - which front lip is that? (not sure I'll be that brave)
Glad I could help in some small way - certainly sounds like you have some great stuff in store for the car! Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your progress

To your question - the lip is an MPerformance replica that I did not put the extensions on either side. Just like the oem piece the extensions bolt onto the lip so they are completely optional.

I just picked up my second one in gloss black in that after 18 months of use and abuse the first one was ready to be put out to pasture. I consider the lips a throw away part and buy them on ebay for about $175.00 painted - install is straightforward and is certainly something that can be tackled at home (if you can gain access to a lift it's about a 20 min install)

Hope this helps

ps- here's a link to the one I purchased
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153963866291
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2022, 03:12 PM   #31
ctbimmerfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks!

Quote:
Glad I could help in some small way - certainly sounds like you have some great stuff in store for the car! Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your progress

To your question - the lip is an MPerformance replica that I did not put the extensions on either side. Just like the oem piece the extensions bolt onto the lip so they are completely optional.

I just picked up my second one in gloss black in that after 18 months of use and abuse the first one was ready to be put out to pasture. I consider the lips a throw away part and buy them on ebay for about $175.00 painted - install is straightforward and is certainly something that can be tackled at home (if you can gain access to a lift it's about a 20 min install)

Hope this helps

ps- here's a link to the one I purchased
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153963866291
Thanks for the additional detail on the front lip! Definitely seems like a decent value for 1/3 of the price of OEM.

Does it come with the side extensions too? Did you just not like their quality or how they looked?
Does it come with everything required to install or do you recommend a certain adhesive?

I just placed an order from that eBay seller you linked, I guess it was their last one?

Question: Are your rear gloss black bumper trim and diffuser pieces M Perf replicas too or are they OEM?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 10:27 AM   #32
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the additional detail on the front lip! Definitely seems like a decent value for 1/3 of the price of OEM.

Does it come with the side extensions too? Did you just not like their quality or how they looked?
Does it come with everything required to install or do you recommend a certain adhesive?

I just placed an order from that eBay seller you linked, I guess it was their last one?

Question: Are your rear gloss black bumper trim and diffuser pieces M Perf replicas too or are they OEM?
Hello
Yes it comes with the side extensions too - I simply do not like how they looked (and with the dinan springs I don't think they would have lasted very long). This has nothing to do with the fact that the lip is a replica because the extensions are exactly the same as oem - I simply never liked the look of the extensions

All M pieces on my car are replica - I purchased them all from IKON on ebay pre-painted in gloss black - couldn't be happier with material fit finish and quality. This latest lip (the one you just purchased) came from a different seller because IKON was sold out.

Here are some links...
My post on front lip install
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1767636

The side skirts I purchased (few available)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/392543140003

The rear diffuser I installed (sold out but you'll get the idea, I know there are other sellers - maybe the front lip seller??)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283738115924

Hope this helps

Chris
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2022, 09:56 PM   #33
LBC_B58DadMobile
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Thanks for this and your other Mission performance thread. I actually have opposite thoughts on the dinan springs than most. Definitely less body roll but the biggest thing I noticed was that it made the car feel more compliant and less jarring than stock when hitting SoCal pavement. I don't mind that at all since it still performs well. (I also don't have adaptive suspension, so basically it was like being in sport all the time). Just my 2 cents…
Appreciate 2
      03-14-2022, 04:29 PM   #34
ctbimmerfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC_B58DadMobile View Post
Thanks for this and your other Mission performance thread. I actually have opposite thoughts on the dinan springs than most. Definitely less body roll but the biggest thing I noticed was that it made the car feel more compliant and less jarring than stock when hitting SoCal pavement. I don't mind that at all since it still performs well. (I also don't have adaptive suspension, so basically it was like being in sport all the time). Just my 2 cents…
This counterpoint on ride quality is very intriguing... I just had the Dinan springs and bump stops installed today (I'm picking up the car tomorrow) and am looking forward to feeling the difference! According to the Dinan website the increased stiffness is 'negligible' in the front and about a 10% increase in stiffness in the rear.

I was also just on the phone with the shop and they said the car really needs spacers after the drop and were trying to sell me a full set of four 12.5mm spacers with extended lug bolts etc. I decided to pass on their offer because I already have a pair of 15mm Dinan spacers here at the house and am just waiting for my 2nd pair to arrive!

I guess the car will have to look a little funny for a while until that second pair arrives... or until my new wheels show up!
Appreciate 1
chenry2346.00
      03-16-2022, 12:59 PM   #35
ctbimmerfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Talking So far very impressed!

Quote:
This counterpoint on ride quality is very intriguing... I just had the Dinan springs and bump stops installed today (I'm picking up the car tomorrow) and am looking forward to feeling the difference! According to the Dinan website the increased stiffness is 'negligible' in the front and about a 10% increase in stiffness in the rear.
So I picked up my car at the shop yesterday after having the Dinan springs and bumps stop installed... and proceeded to *thoroughly* enjoy my 35 minute ride back home (took mostly back roads). I have to agree with LBC_B58DadMobile that the overall ride seems more compliant than with the stock springs (non-adaptive suspension) while also staying flatter in the corners. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Very pleased with the results so far... many thanks to the other forum members for their previous posts and honest feedback about these mods!

Spacers are going on tomorrow and window tint is being applied on Friday morning.
Hoping I can wash the car and take some pics to share over the weekend.

Interestingly enough, the shop did mention that some other M340 owners had reported creaking noises with the Dinan springs in colder temperatures.
Planning to do some forum searches and see if I can find anything related... have any of you running Dinan springs experienced this?
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #36
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
So I picked up my car at the shop yesterday after having the Dinan springs and bumps stop installed... and proceeded to *thoroughly* enjoy my 35 minute ride back home (took mostly back roads). I have to agree with LBC_B58DadMobile that the overall ride seems more compliant than with the stock springs (non-adaptive suspension) while also staying flatter in the corners. It's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.

Very pleased with the results so far... many thanks to the other forum members for their previous posts and honest feedback about these mods!

Spacers are going on tomorrow and window tint is being applied on Friday morning.

Interestingly enough, the shop did mention that some other M340 owners had reported creaking noises with the Dinan springs in colder temperatures.
Planning to do some forum searches and see if I can find anything related... have any of you running Dinan springs experienced this?
Yes, I agree with slight creak noise when it is cold. I only noticed this small creak sound after installing the dinan springs (without dinan bump stops). I've had them installed now for 3-4 months and only notice the small audible creak sound on colder days here in socal (55-60°F).
      03-17-2022, 02:29 PM   #37
ctbimmerfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Yes, I agree with slight creak noise when it is cold. I only noticed this small creak sound after installing the dinan springs (without dinan bump stops). I've had them installed now for 3-4 months and only notice the small audible creak sound on colder days here in socal (55-60°F).
Thanks for confirming/validating! I live in CT where it's very frequently colder than socal so will just have to see if I get the creak as well. I do have the ride & handling kit (bump stops) installed as well so not sure if that will make any difference?

How soon after installation did you notice it? When and how often does the creak happen for you now? When first getting in or while driving? Does it happen any time there's spring compression? Assuming it's audible both inside and outside the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 02:23 AM   #38
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for confirming/validating! I live in CT where it's very frequently colder than socal so will just have to see if I get the creak as well. I do have the ride & handling kit (bump stops) installed as well so not sure if that will make any difference?

How soon after installation did you notice it? When and how often does the creak happen for you now? When first getting in or while driving? Does it happen any time there's spring compression? Assuming it's audible both inside and outside the vehicle?
It started creaking within the first 2 weeks after install (installed roughly in early December) which is during our "winter" here in SoCal. I never hear it during driving, only when first getting in and pulling out the driveway which is at an angle and does compress the springs.

As it's been heating up now during mornings (lowest temperature 60-70) I have noticed the creak less and less. I do believe it's temperature related, however this is my anecdotal experience thus far. Lastly, yes, audible inside and outside the vehicle.
      03-18-2022, 05:39 PM   #39
ctbimmerfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up Progress…

Quote:
It started creaking within the first 2 weeks after install (installed roughly in early December) which is during our "winter" here in SoCal. I never hear it during driving, only when first getting in and pulling out the driveway which is at an angle and does compress the springs.

As it's been heating up now during mornings (lowest temperature 60-70) I have noticed the creak less and less. I do believe it's temperature related, however this is my anecdotal experience thus far. Lastly, yes, audible inside and outside the vehicle.
Thanks for the additional info, much appreciated.
Finally got around to installing my spacers and had the windows tinted today as well. Took a couple of pics…

It was 73 degrees here today so all my car needs now is a bath!
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      03-21-2022, 05:20 PM   #40
LBC_B58DadMobile
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that it isn't as jarring as stock. I literally had the car two weeks before the Dinan install. I haven't noticed any creaking sounds, we haven't been that cold in SoCal lately.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-28-2022, 06:10 PM   #41
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

just installed mine, the ride is literally like stock. Just wish it was a tad lower. Did you notice it lower over time after the springs settled?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 06:24 PM   #42
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICG20M View Post
just installed mine, the ride is literally like stock. Just wish it was a tad lower. Did you notice it lower over time after the springs settled?
I know aren't they great? As I've said before really renewed my faith in lowering with springs only.

Mine have settled for sure not significantly but they have over the last 18 months. The ride remains the same (but I do only have 11k miles on my car)

Congrats on your install
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 07:37 PM   #43
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
I know aren't they great? As I've said before really renewed my faith in lowering with springs only.

Mine have settled for sure not significantly but they have over the last 18 months. The ride remains the same (but I do only have 11k miles on my car)

Congrats on your install
Yes I was shocked that the ride quality is literally stock perhaps maybe 10% stiffer? I'll be installing the dinan spacers next but so far the handling has been improved noticeably with no sacrifice to ride quality.

Did you go with Dinans recommendation on the alignment?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 09:35 PM   #44
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes I was shocked that the ride quality is literally stock perhaps maybe 10% stiffer? I'll be installing the dinan spacers next but so far the handling has been improved noticeably with no sacrifice to ride quality.

Did you go with Dinans recommendation on the alignment?
yes I did the ride handling kit as well (bumpstops) and handed over the dinan alignment recommendations to the alignment shop a few hundred miles after install and its been very enjoyable. Mind you I am not a big Dinan fan these days (was 30 years ago) but they did nail these springs And cant say enough good things about them
Appreciate 0