Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Installed Pilot Sport All Season 4 -M340iX

12-06-2021, 12:14 AM   #1
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
Installed Pilot Sport All Season 4 -M340iX

Just wanted to lend a first impression of switching over to these tires from the standard summer max performance typically found on these cars.

1. Ride quality: Excellent. NVH is low across the board. Bumps and road noise is muted nicely. No jolts or harshness over expansion joints.
2. Traction/Braking: I've actually experienced a gain in traction in certain aspects and a slight loss in others. Absolutely no loss in straight line acceleration, whereas the PS4S/PSS would spin without trying. This is certainly due to the fact that PS4S/PSS must be really warm in order to gain good traction. And who can actually run their car like its on an autocross course in town to get their tires to temp just to go back to cruising and moving quick from stoplights? So ambient/low temperature traction is really nice to have available right out of the gate. Stopping is fast without wavering along with good feedback that isn't harsh, but smooth.
3. Oversteer: They don't provide the feedback and road-holding "feel" of PSS/PS4S - obviously. They can give the sensation that the vehicle is oversteering earlier than usual. Typical when moving to a tire of this type. This means your driving style must change slightly to accommodate. Not a big deal given #4 below.
4. Real-world handling in daily driving. Excellent. The other day I was caught in a situation that required a sudden and hard lane change. I wasn't sure the tires would respond well but to my surprise, they dug in and let the vehicle rotate perfectly to avoid a hazard.
5. Wet Roads/Ice/Snow... Will update once I've had a chance to take it through these situations. No precipitation lately.

Final thoughts: Other than not being too pleased with hard and tight turns with a vague feeling coupled with additional oversteer, I can't think of a single reason to switch back to PSS/PS4S unless one was intending to actually run a track event. And in that case, you might have dedicated wheels for such an event so that wouldn't even be an issue for many. Bottom line, the PSAS4 tires are excellent. Michelin certainly got this formula right. If you are considering a switch, you won't be disappointed.

I'm sticking with these for the long term. Best of all? Less nails and screws embedded in the tires. When I got the PSS tires pulled to swap to the new all-seasons, I was surprised to count a total of eight nails buried in the tread. I expect a couple. But eight? Insane. Shouldn't have much of an issue with that now. The three sets of AS3+ I ran on the Audi never had an issue with picking up shit off the road. I'm hoping that continues with these.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 07:18 AM   #2
ultrared93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30

Thanks for taking the time to share your detailed impressions. AS4s will probably be my next purchase for our Bimmer. Do you have a staggered or square setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrared93 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to share your detailed impressions. AS4s will probably be my next purchase for our Bimmer. Do you have a staggered or square setup?
Thank you. You’re quite welcome.

I have the staggered setup and went with the same oem sizes- 225/255.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Thanks for the write up. I am on P7s now and Pilot Sports were on my short list for replacements.

I have been happy with the go flat P7s so far and they have plenty of life left at 21K miles but I am big fan of Michelins in most cases.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #5
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Thanks for the write up. I am on P7s now and Pilot Sports were on my short list for replacements.

I have been happy with the go flat P7s so far and they have plenty of life left at 21K miles but I am big fan of Michelins in most cases.
P7 and AS4 are somewhat comparable in my opinion. Driven P7s in the past on a performance oriented car and was pleased overall. I give those a thumbs up. Just different road feel. 👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 08:03 PM   #6
Blado
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series

oh man I so appreciate this review. just switched myself from PS4 to AS4. I read some reviews before but this one really spoke to me. I don't really drive fast or spirited enough to notice a difference between the two. all I will say, it's a solid tire and more comfortable on the road in cold weather.

enjoy the new tires!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #7
Cabrio Luv
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i Cabriolet - on orde

air pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post

P7 and AS4 are somewhat comparable in my opinion. Driven P7s in the past on a performance oriented car and was pleased overall. I give those a thumbs up. Just different road feel.
I was considering 4AS along with Conti DWS-06+ which I've been familiar with and had on my previous german builds. Went with the latter and has been totally pleased with its performance on our wet coast. Esp with the recent atmospheric river we had in the Pac NW. Handled marvelously too with our first snowfall of the season yesterday.

I'm sure the Michelin 4AS would be better than if not equal to the DWS06+ in some or all aspects.

Question: what cold air pressure do you have on your 4AS set of staggered 19"?
2021 - M440i RWD Cabriolet (cancelled order) Dravit Grey on Cognac
2021 - M440i xDrive Coupe TB/Oyster
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #8
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio Luv View Post
I was considering 4AS along with Conti DWS-06+ which I've been familiar with and had on my previous german builds. Went with the latter and has been totally pleased with its performance on our wet coast. Esp with the recent atmospheric river we had in the Pac NW. Handled marvelously too with our first snowfall of the season yesterday.

I'm sure the Michelin 4AS would be better than if not equal to the DWS06+ in some or all aspects.

Heavily considered the DWS06 this time around. I know they are excellent but read enough reviews stating vagueness in overall driving which was opposite of what I wanted. No doubt, you’ll get that with AS tires regardless, but to one extent or another, right? Though their road holding ability is way up there. Can’t deny that as a huge plus for those.

As for tire pressure, I just use the same pressures indicated on the door sill. 38psi F/R. Perfect.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #9
Blado
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 3 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio Luv View Post

Heavily considered the DWS06 this time around. I know they are excellent but read enough reviews stating vagueness in overall driving which was opposite of what I wanted. No doubt, you’ll get that with AS tires regardless, but to one extent or another, right? Though their road holding ability is way up there. Can’t deny that as a huge plus for those.

As for tire pressure, I just use the same pressures indicated on the door sill. 38psi F/R. Perfect.
did you notice loss of control or drifting in snow yet? curious how these tires hold up in snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:07 AM   #10
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blado View Post
did you notice loss of control or drifting in snow yet? curious how these tires hold up in snow.
Probably won’t get snow until late January. And not much if we do. Desert southwest. But if we do, I’ll update. I know how snow was on the AS3+. Should be slightly better as the tread pattern is more reminiscent of tires favorable for snow. We shall see.
Appreciate 0