Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Base LED to Adaptive conversion

04-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
Adam_
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Base LED to Adaptive conversion

Good afternoon all,

I've owned my 330 for about a year now and the only thing I can't get over is how ugly the base DRL is. I'm looking to convert over to the adaptive.

After looking at pictures of the two next to the each other it seems the only difference to convert is the two white plugs on the outside. I'm guessing these are for the cornering lights. Here is my question though; if I were to purchase adaptive would everything be plug and play minus the cornering lights? Would I get errors on the dash? I can't imagine the wattage pull would be anymore and it would just act as normal except the cornering feature which wouldn't be active.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #2
EduardoLG
Mexico
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40i 2023

I have the same need.

I have the same question, I've been looking forward to someone posting a detailed guide on how to do this upgrade, since the standard LED's are HORRIBLE. I do not understand why BMW went with this option in the first place, since the base 2021 comes with the Adaptive LEDs.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:04 AM   #3
Rastlein
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ View Post
Good afternoon all,

I've owned my 330 for about a year now and the only thing I can't get over is how ugly the base DRL is. I'm looking to convert over to the adaptive.

After looking at pictures of the two next to the each other it seems the only difference to convert is the two white plugs on the outside. I'm guessing these are for the cornering lights. Here is my question though; if I were to purchase adaptive would everything be plug and play minus the cornering lights? Would I get errors on the dash? I can't imagine the wattage pull would be anymore and it would just act as normal except the cornering feature which wouldn't be active.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Both headlights have the same connection so it would be plug & play. All you would have to do is code for the corner light to work. I am also interested in making the change. Let's see if someone who has already done it can help us.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i XD

Garage List
I have a M240 that has the LED headlight and a M440 that has laser light. The other difference is the M440 has an extra button (Auto headlight) on the signal stalk. I guess not only u have to code for the adaptive headlight, u also need to change the signal stalk.

Last edited by cowymo; 05-04-2021 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
Rastlein
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowymo View Post
I have a M240 that has the LED headlight and a M440 that has laser light. The other difference is the M440 has an extra button (Auto headlight) on the signal stalk. I guess not only u have to code for the adaptive headlight, u also need to change the signal stalk.
Automatic lights are independent of the type of headlight. I have seen cars with the basic LEDs and automatic lights and also the extended LEDs without automatic lights. The laser headlights always had automatic lights obligatorily.

Therefore, you can put the extended LEDs in without having the option of automatic lights and maybe the laser lights would work too.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastlein View Post
Both headlights have the same connection so it would be plug & play. All you would have to do is code for the corner light to work. I am also interested in making the change. Let's see if someone who has already done it can help us.
I have not swapped headlights on my G20 but I have on my previous vehicle, retrofitting EURO LCI 440i headlights on my 435iX so I have some familiarity with the steps required.

I took a look at the wiring diagrams for all three headlights available for our G20 and I can confirm Rastlien statement that all three headlight options use the same connector and wiring (12V, gnd and Can3).

I can also confirm the FLM2 ECUs in the Adaptive LEDs are different than in the base LEDs so purchase the Adaptive LEDs with the controllers.

Once installed, the headlights will have to be coded to your vehicle. I would use E-sys/EsysX for this task (you may be able to use ISTA+ but I have no experience with ISTA+ for this task):

1) Edit your FA and add 5A4 (or 5AZ for laser) to SALAPA-Element and save to a new FA name.

2) Load the FA you just created in Expert Mode--> Coding; Read(ECU) under SVT Actual to confirm the two FLM2s are in the SVT list. If not, check wiring/connectors. You will not be able to proceed to the next steps until E-sys sees the FLM2 ECUs.

3) VO Code the two FLM2s and confirm no errors/warnings when completed.

4) VO Code BDC. Not sure if this step is absolutely necessary but I would VO Code BDC just to be safe. If you have made any FDL coding changes to your BDC, save the CAFD files before VO Coding, either to a different location or a different file name from default. You can compare the new CAFDs and saved CAFDs to identify your FDL changes if you have not noted them elsewhere.

5) Add back your BDC FDL coding changes, if any and test your retrofitted headlights.

6) Since the retrofitted headlights are adaptive, the headlights may need to be initialized to your vehicle. Use ISTA+ to accomplish this task. FYI, I did have to initialize the retrofitted headlights on my 435iX.

One more item, you will likely have to adjust the aim of the retrofitted headlights. Aim can be adjusted by your dealer or a quick and dirty way of doing this yourself - park your vehicle on a level surface with the front 20 ft away from and parallel with a vertical surface e.g. your garage door. Mark the location of the front tires on the ground and the low-beam pattern (with the light switch set to on not "A") on the vertical surface . These marking will be used as references to adjust the aim (vertical and horizontal) of the retrofitted headlights.

In summary, retrofitting Adaptive LEDs should be a relatively straight-forward task with the right tools. If you do not have E-sys/EsysX and ISTA+, I would recommend you find someone with these tools that can help you.

Larry
      12-23-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
doaydin
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw g21

is there any progress about this topic?

I have updated my basic lights to laser light but corner lights and tunelling functions are not working.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3#post28392273

There is an information which is required ride-height sensors are required do you have any experiance about it?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 02:33 AM   #8
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Me too wondering how it progressed..
I'm also looking into upgrading to adaptive LED:s from the basic headlights...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 04:52 AM   #9
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

pre-LCI headlight swap is plug & play, even base to Laser.

just needs coding after installing them. no new modules/wiring needed.
      06-22-2023, 03:29 PM   #10
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
pre-LCI headlight swap is plug & play, even base to Laser.

just needs coding after installing them. no new modules/wiring needed.
Thanks! Would you happen to know where it in details explains how to code them? There is a post in this thread that is pretty detailed but perhaps not "exactly" the description for the G20..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 04:54 PM   #11
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Thanks! Would you happen to know where it in details explains how to code them? There is a post in this thread that is pretty detailed but perhaps not "exactly" the description for the G20..
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1629991&page=3

one of the threads I've dug out. Also there's info on some Polish forums. I was researching Laser retrofit last year
      06-28-2023, 11:56 AM   #12
TheNine90
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Edit fa and 552 (Adaptive LED headlight) then vo code BDC and FLM modules. After that initialise headlight using ISTA
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2023, 10:59 PM   #13
BLKNSS_19
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Could I upgrade to laser headlights. I have a 2020 bmw m340i with the led w/ cornering.
So confused �� .. Was told I can then told I can’t. Tried aftermarket DRL RGBW boards They either fried or caused malfunctions. Now my adaptive lighting function has an error. Just want to find the right parts. Thanks for any input, ideas,etc��

Last edited by BLKNSS_19; 10-16-2023 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 08:55 AM   #14
apwm340i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 20 X3 M40i

The OP on this post had success with this method. laser lights
Appreciate 0