Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Warranties and modifications

12-26-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
Alha
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Warranties and modifications

Hi All -

I am fairly new to the BMW game and specifically modifications. I am currently leasing a 2020 M340i and thus far, all I have done is added the Dinan quad tip exhaust.

At this point I do want to start doing some modifications that would add some additional horses; obviously don't want to get stuck paying out of pocket for any issues. So please tell me what I am missing in this approach:

1) Stick with products that maintain the same warranty 4y/50k miles e.g., Dinan / Noelle Performance
2) If BMW does not cover they must prove that it was attributed to the aftermarket part
3) Worst case scenario they prove - Dinan/Noelle must cover under their warranty
4) Post 4y warranty - get an extended mechanical insurance for your car through your insurance company to cover any future failures

My company provides legal services (e.g., an attorney) through our benefits so I figure if this does come to surface, I'll just hand this over to them to deal with

I'm sure this approach has been discussed, but I feel the risk is pretty minimal so I must be missing something
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

The dealership does not void your warranty due to an aftermath part. They can refuse to do a free repair if they think your mod caused the damage, but they cannot deny fixing a bad headlight because your car is tuned.

Be smart about it and you will be fine. If you need a repair and you think your tune could be blamed for it, remove your tune before your visit.

Mods like intake, charge pipe, heat exchanger , exhaust, downpipe, etc... cannot be blamed for damaging another car part so no need to remove it before a visit.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #3
Alha
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
The dealership does not void your warranty due to an aftermath part. They can refuse to do a free repair if they think your mod caused the damage, but they cannot deny fixing a bad headlight because your car is tuned.

Be smart about it and you will be fine. If you need a repair and you think your tune could be blamed for it, remove your tune before your visit.

Mods like intake, charge pipe, heat exchanger , exhaust, downpipe, etc... cannot be blamed for damaging another car part so no need to remove it before a visit.
Appreciate the response Mike - thinking worst case scenario from my standpoint. Say there is an engine failure that BMW says is caused by the mod. I want to make sure that there is coverage every step of the way whether it be BMW or a 3rd party
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #4
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

I don’t know about Dinan, but AWE exhausts are dyno proven to provide a small bump in torque and hp. Probably not enough to notice a difference, but it’s nice nonetheless
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alha View Post
Appreciate the response Mike - thinking worst case scenario from my standpoint. Say there is an engine failure that BMW says is caused by the mod. I want to make sure that there is coverage every step of the way whether it be BMW or a 3rd party
In this case, you'll need to remove the tune, and there is a good chance you are clear. If you are not and get caught, then you have a pay to play

The possibility of an engine failure on a new car is very close to zero; even on an older one, it's close to zero. Hundreds of thousands of tuned cars, some of them go back to 14 years ago. It's almost impossible to find any post about a failed engine from basic tuning.

If you are that worried about it, it means you are not ready to modify your car just yet. Enjoy the car stock for now, and if you feel more comfortable in the future, you can modify it then.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 11:01 AM   #6
Alha
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
I don’t know about Dinan, but AWE exhausts are dyno proven to provide a small bump in torque and hp. Probably not enough to notice a difference, but it’s nice nonetheless
The Dinan exhaust added nominal hp and torque; not really enough to notice a massive difference. I'm looking for some bigger gains but don't want to do a DP. Thus, I'm looking at the Dinan tune and cold air intake
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #7
Alha
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
In this case, you'll need to remove the tune, and there is a good chance you are clear. If you are not and get caught, then you have a pay to play

The possibility of an engine failure on a new car is very close to zero; even on an older one, it's close to zero. Hundreds of thousands of tuned cars, some of them go back to 14 years ago. It's almost impossible to find any post about a failed engine from basic tuning.

If you are that worried about it, it means you are not ready to modify your car just yet. Enjoy the car stock for now, and if you feel more comfortable in the future, you can modify it then.
That was more just an example. I'm all for paying to play, I guess my point is I want to be able to point to some insurance coverage at every step of the way which is really what I am more interested in.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 12:09 PM   #8
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

You started out your discussion talking about warranty and then moved on to considering insurance and legal action. You must remember that if being financially safe is your primary goal, then you need to think very hard about modifying your car and/or running it hard. Maybe you need a track car.

For example, you might try taking it to a track day and your engine mods will work fine. However, you could come back with shredded tires from the heat of track use, suspension pieces or body parts that got bent or broken when you overran a curve, etc. Playing with your car costs money. You can't just buy a tune, drive like you stole it, and then expect to have no further costs.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 12:36 PM   #9
Alha
Rep

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
You started out your discussion talking about warranty and then moved on to considering insurance and legal action. You must remember that if being financially safe is your primary goal, then you need to think very hard about modifying your car and/or running it hard. Maybe you need a track car.

For example, you might try taking it to a track day and your engine mods will work fine. However, you could come back with shredded tires from the heat of track use, suspension pieces or body parts that got bent or broken when you overran a curve, etc. Playing with your car costs money. You can't just buy a tune, drive like you stole it, and then expect to have no further costs.
Thank you this makes perfect sense and completely understand where mike was coming from now. Given getting a tune, I'd definitely start taking it to the local drag strip and have some fun out there; definitely puts all of this more into perspective from a financial perspective.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

If I remember correctly BMW checks for other parameters other than just checking your ECU for a tune so removing it before you take it in isn't really going to do anything for you. I also believe that it auto flags now if they plug it into the system. That being said I have been able to get serviced from a BMW dealership just have to remind them not to plug it in or update anything. I have had some dealerships threaten to flag my car over its mods so finding a good SA is important. I also have the Geico MBI to cover any accidents that BMW won't cover. I think there's a limit to most mechanical insurances on when you can add it so I'd look into that.
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #11
Boostisfun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M340i Xdrive

When you take your car in for a diagnostic the tech will link your vehicle to ISTA. If ISTA finds anything that’s consistent with an after-market tune it will give the tech an alert that states “suspicion of engine tuning”. BMW has been working hard on being able to identify this. BMW has been burnt a lot with engine tuning in the past.

One of the maintenance items that BMW does under warranty with each warranty maintenance service is called a standard scope inspection. They automatically scan the vehicle for fault codes. That’s regardless if there are any current faults showing (like a check engine light).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #12
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

If you tune your engine at all. And there is engine failure. BMW WILL know about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #13
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

DP, JB4, KWv2's, and some BimmerCode coding done to my lease and still able to get it serviced at local dealership with no issues.

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #14
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
DP, JB4, KWv2's, and some BimmerCode coding done to my lease and still able to get it serviced at local dealership with no issues.
They'll service it while it works but if something breaks or blows they will not.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #15
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

00 04 21_ISTA AFTERMARKET ENGINE TUNING DETECTION AND REPAIR AUTHORIZATION.pdf
Appreciate 6
      01-02-2022, 08:35 PM   #16
ventjock
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

how many people here wait until the factory warranty is over to start modifying/tuning?
      01-03-2022, 09:55 AM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
how many people here wait until the factory warranty is over to start modifying/tuning?
From my experience, not many as most of the mods can be done and won't affect your warranty.

Appreciate 1
      01-03-2022, 09:57 PM   #18
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventjock View Post
That's always been my idea with my BMWs.l, but in reality I ended up doing minor cosmetic mods and nothing more. Guess im getting old.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 09:52 PM   #19
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
They'll service it while it works but if something breaks or blows they will not.
I mean, its a 2021... if you take care of the car and dont sit there 2-stepping, practicing donuts at every intersection, and beating the car at every red light you probably have nothing to worry about.

I had a relatively well modified E90 that I treated worse than this car and had almost no issues in 6 years with that car.

I understand some folks have shit luck, but those are the chances you take when you deviate from expectations and acceptable usage

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0