Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Redrilling 5x120 to 5x112 and alternatives

01-07-2022, 04:10 PM   #1
squareforce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Mineral White M340i

Redrilling 5x120 to 5x112 and alternatives

Apologize in advanced for the long post. I tried to search the forum and had very little results.

I always loved the 437s and when my wife turned down us buying a f80 I was again heartbroken when I found out g20 has a 5x112 bolt pattern

I researched again if possible to make happen since I haven't seen anyone done it yet.

But what I learned is that if it's within 8mm they can get redrilled and the back face will get sleeves pressed in with the right hub fitment. I'll probably also need hub centric rings to get centerbore to the 66.6

Has anyone redrilled wheels before? Research shows redrilled and fill is the not recommended and since oems are forged I should be ok going with the redrilled and pressed sleeves route.

I quickly photoshopped it and really want to make it work but I can afford to do it right only once lol.

There's a rep version on eBay of 437s with the 5x112 pattern but it's reps. Tried searching those up on here and YouTube but nothing on that end.

I'm also thinking about aftermarket wheels but want something with good concave and won't be a pain to clean. I was bidding for some Supra oems with tires but got sniped at the last second. Any 6 spoke design with concave that doesn't cost te37/bbs cir/hreff10 money?

anyone in the Austin area know places that'll redrill wheels? I've emailed a few places but I haven't got a reply if they redrill. Seems all the redrilling happens in CA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #2
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareforce View Post
Apologize in advanced for the long post. I tried to search the forum and had very little results.

I always loved the 437s and when my wife turned down us buying a f80 I was again heartbroken when I found out g20 has a 5x112 bolt pattern

I researched again if possible to make happen since I haven't seen anyone done it yet.

But what I learned is that if it's within 8mm they can get redrilled and the back face will get sleeves pressed in with the right hub fitment. I'll probably also need hub centric rings to get centerbore to the 66.6

Has anyone redrilled wheels before? Research shows redrilled and fill is the not recommended and since oems are forged I should be ok going with the redrilled and pressed sleeves route.

I quickly photoshopped it and really want to make it work but I can afford to do it right only once lol.

There's a rep version on eBay of 437s with the 5x112 pattern but it's reps. Tried searching those up on here and YouTube but nothing on that end.

I'm also thinking about aftermarket wheels but want something with good concave and won't be a pain to clean. I was bidding for some Supra oems with tires but got sniped at the last second. Any 6 spoke design with concave that doesn't cost te37/bbs cir/hreff10 money?

anyone in the Austin area know places that'll redrill wheels? I've emailed a few places but I haven't got a reply if they redrill. Seems all the redrilling happens in CA
I had the same issue. I bought my favorite wheels for my F10 535i. I planned to transfer them onto my G20 M340i when I bought it. You can imagine my surprise when I found that BMW had changed the bolt pattern from 5x120 to 5x112 between the F and G generations. I considered redrilling, but that seemed like an invitation to problems down the road. In the end, I bought new wheels for the G20.

However, have you considered adapters such as these?
https://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-au...l-adapter-set/

They would be very much like running spacers.
The only problem I can forsee is that the thinnest size is 15mm thick. That may lower the offset too much for your 437's and tire size you want to use. But you can do the calculations too see. Maybe there is a 10mm version out there somewhere.

If adapters aren't your flavor, or won't fit, you'll have to go forth with the redrill or a new wheel.
Appreciate 1