Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications software version that fixes brake recall

12-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #1
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i X Drive

software version that fixes brake recall

Hi Guys
2020 M340 with DME tune, does anyone know what software version fixes the brake recall? I want to determine if that version can be unlocked and tune re-applied before taking care of the recall.
thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #2
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiveyCJ View Post
Hi Guys
2020 M340 with DME tune, does anyone know what software version fixes the brake recall? I want to determine if that version can be unlocked and tune re-applied before taking care of the recall.
thanks
I dunno if it's a specific software version, so much as a patch for the braking system. I'd asked them not to update my idrive, but they still did tho, so not sure if it has to be done together.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Yes you can still run your flash tune with the brake recall. No issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 06:31 AM   #4
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep

So the brake recall fix doesn't reflash the entire DME? I thought I read somewhere it required a new full software upgrade which would wipe the tune
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
So the brake recall fix doesn't reflash the entire DME? I thought I read somewhere it required a new full software upgrade which would wipe the tune
Does it wipe the tune is your question. That I dont know.
But it does not lock your dme. Meaning yes you can tune again if youre using bm3 or mhd for example. Just flash it as you would from stock to your map.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
If you're heading to the dealer to get the brake recall completed you will be updated to the latest idrive/software versions for all modules. There is no way around it. Dealer update means bye bye tune. And you most likely will need to have it unlocked again unless you have an early model m340i (2019 build early 2020). From what I understand the earlier older DME models can be unlocked via OBD. But that also may depend on software versions. So many damn variables!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep

That's what I thought, trying to determine the software version they use to fix the brake issue, then determine if that version can be unlocked or not.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #8
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Even early 2020 models cannot be unlocked via obd2, after dme has been updated to latest version, it can be bench unlocked though, new dme cannot be bench unlocked
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:11 PM   #9
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
If you have a tune on it now, it will lock your ecu. You WILL need a bench unlock again or if you never did one, you will need a bench unlock after the brake recall because they update the firmware
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #10
larrylam646
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Hi Guys
thanks
As other posters have already stated, the dealer will update your vehicle to the latest ilevel on-hand, likely S18A-21-11-536 for our vehicle.

My vehicle has been updated to this ilevel. The DME bootloader installed is BTLD 48DC 001 035 005.
      12-17-2021, 06:27 AM   #11
SpiveyCJ
Private
Rep

From the dealer, disappointing they can't answer my question...

Unfortunately, we do not get that information from BMW on the details of software updates , we simply update the vehicle as directed by BMW.

Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2021 7:39 AM
To: Jeff Martin <Jeff.Martin@>
Subject: Re: BMW Service

This message was sent from outside the organization. Please do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the source of this email and know the content is safe.

Hi Jeff
Thanks for the info, on the BMW forums I read a full DME upgrade is required to fix the brake recall. Is this correct, or just a smaller software module upgrade? I ask because my current DME version is 03/2020.30 which is a different format than the required 4.3 software upgrade you mention below.
Could you clarify please?

thanks
Chris
2020 M340i

On Wednesday, December 15, 2021, 03:33:51 PM EST, Jeff Martin <jeff.martin@> wrote:

software to be updated to version 4.3 or higher for brake recall on your car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #12
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Just go do the recall if you want. They will just update to most likely the 11/2021 update as that is the newest one right now. Then just rebench unlock your ecu. You don't have a bosch ecu so you'll never be fully locked.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 08:05 AM   #13
Mr Gravy
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Hi Guys
thanks

Just did the recall in November. I went and got unlocked the next day by Ecusolutions. First time tuning the car.

I receive a beta file from mhd as the software was too new to override (something like that). After a couple trial and error runs, the flash finally worked. It is my understanding mhd already pushed this update across the apps so it should be able to get reflashed no problem (assuming all other tuners have already done this as well).

Not 100% on another bench unlock, I'd imagine you need it again but I think you know that. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #14
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Will need to recode, reflash

I had the recall done on my M340 and where I have MP Stage 1 flash from Alex. Dealer did update the car as part of the brake recall which wiped out my coding, also MP flash as well.

Was able to recode but for the MP flash it didn’t lock the ECU unlike last time when I updated the car without knowing it would also remove the flash and had to send to Alex to bench unlock. I can connect via mFlasher where it shows unlocked as to status but not able to choose Stage 1 (or any of the other options for that matter) and reflash the car.

Did send email, also called Alex about this and where he commented as to a new firmware that he needs to incorporate and then I can reflash. Didn’t say I needed to send back my ECU just to give him time so he can include the coding needed.

It’s been a month since I spoke with Alex. Hopefully he’s been able to update now and I can reflash. Will give it another try and let folks know.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #15
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep

Not able to reflash

Just tried to reflash and no luck. Sent email to Alex to ask if he's been able to update yet or no. Hopefully soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 02:51 PM   #16
DEL451
Private First Class
Rep

Reflash success

Was just able to reflash successfully after receiving reply back from Alex. Thank you Alex!
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      01-06-2022, 12:34 PM   #17
B58Tuned
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340iX

So I recently updated My M340 to get rid of the annoying recall alert on startup. My BMW was tuned with stage 1 through Mission Performance. I have one of the early DMEs that I originally tuned over OBD.

After the service, my car was updated by BMW to the latest version which of course removed my tune (also I haven’t been able to remote start from keyfob since, anyone else have this issue?) and worst of all, still getting the recall alert when I start my car…

Anyways, I called Alex, and he told me that if I wanted to re-tune my car I would need to ship my ECU to him, it could not be re-tuned over OBD since the latest software update has locked my DME. Has anyone else had a different experience?

Really missing the top-end power and the burbles…
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:31 PM   #18
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEL451 View Post
Was just able to reflash successfully after receiving reply back from Alex. Thank you Alex!
What month/year for your 340?
Wondering if i do the recall if i'll have to bench unlock my DME again.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:47 AM   #19
gdaddy28
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58Tuned View Post
So I recently updated My M340 to get rid of the annoying recall alert on startup. My BMW was tuned with stage 1 through Mission Performance. I have one of the early DMEs that I originally tuned over OBD.

After the service, my car was updated by BMW to the latest version which of course removed my tune (also I haven’t been able to remote start from keyfob since, anyone else have this issue?) and worst of all, still getting the recall alert when I start my car…

Anyways, I called Alex, and he told me that if I wanted to re-tune my car I would need to ship my ECU to him, it could not be re-tuned over OBD since the latest software update has locked my DME. Has anyone else had a different experience?

Really missing the top-end power and the burbles…
I had the same issue on the remote start. You need to go back into the settings to activate. Someone explained it much more thoroughly on another thread, but it worked for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 01:20 AM   #20
B58Tuned
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy28 View Post
I had the same issue on the remote start. You need to go back into the settings to activate. Someone explained it much more thoroughly on another thread, but it worked for me.
Yessir. Thank you that did the trick.
Also, the recall notice did go away after 48 hours of having my software updated.

Performance wise, after living with the MP Stage 1 for 16 months, biggest thing I’ve noticed has been the top end decrease. And of course the exhaust sounds very commuter now. Low end/mid range power is fairly close- the car just doesn’t pull as hard now. Upshifts sound just as good.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2022, 06:18 PM   #21
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Quote:
Also, the recall notice did go away after 48 hours of having my software updated.

Performance wise, after living with the MP Stage 1 for 16 months, biggest thing I’ve noticed has been the top end decrease. And of course the exhaust sounds very commuter now. Low end/mid range power is fairly close- the car just doesn’t pull as hard now. Upshifts sound just as good.
Ask him about the E40 tune, assuming you are running an aftermarket downpipe and upgraded spark plugs(gapped). E85 in the car is like night and day, completely different monster. Makes the stg 1 and even stg 2 tune seem like stock. I have it with an Active Autowerkes Catted DP, NGK 95248's gapped to 0.22, BMS Intake and Vargas silicone charge pipe. Car runs real good and the tune is still flexible so if no E85 around, you can put anything from a full tank of 93 up to E40 and it will just accomodate. Once i went E, ive rarely put a full tank of 93 in the car unless its going to sit at the dealer for awhile.

Side note: for all doing the brake recall, if you're tuned and you go to the dealer... alot of people have been getting flagged as soon as they plug the car up. Be careful. Im just leaving it alone for now until i decide a viable option not to get flagged and fix that annoying brake recall notification. Drives me nuts seeing it in the app everyday.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 08:14 PM   #22
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreoOozZz View Post
Quote:

Ask him about the E40 tune, assuming you are running an aftermarket downpipe and upgraded spark plugs(gapped). E85 in the car is like night and day, completely different monster. Makes the stg 1 and even stg 2 tune seem like stock. I have it with an Active Autowerkes Catted DP, NGK 95248's gapped to 0.22, BMS Intake and Vargas silicone charge pipe. Car runs real good and the tune is still flexible so if no E85 around, you can put anything from a full tank of 93 up to E40 and it will just accomodate. Once i went E, ive rarely put a full tank of 93 in the car unless its going to sit at the dealer for awhile.

Side note: for all doing the brake recall, if you're tuned and you go to the dealer... alot of people have been getting flagged as soon as they plug the car up. Be careful. Im just leaving it alone for now until i decide a viable option not to get flagged and fix that annoying brake recall notification. Drives me nuts seeing it in the app everyday.
Are you really not changing your tune from stage 2 to stage 3 on mission performance ? Your just filling up with whatever and letting the car adjust? And Alex told you this was ok?

ALSo, anyone having reservations about doing the brake recall, just make sure you avoid doing two things and you wont need it:

Double pressing the start button when starting the car

and

taking your foot off the brake prematurely while starting the car.

If neither happens, you will have a fully functional brake assist and no need for the update. Its in the notes for the recall !
Appreciate 0