Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications M340i Mperf Exhaust - Pops and Bangs ?

12-25-2021, 05:37 AM   #1
BMWM4_SA
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

M340i Mperf Exhaust - Pops and Bangs ?

Hi Guys

Will the M perf exhaust make my 2020 M340i pop and bang ?

If not will stick to stock exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

If that is your main goal I would suggest looking at the AWE Track Edition exhaust systems.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #3
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM4_SA View Post
Hi Guys

Yes, the MPE will def add more snap
Crackle pops over the Oem box.

https://www.instagram.com/g20_whitem...dium=copy_link
Appreciate 2
fuxxo136.50
      12-25-2021, 01:49 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Hi Guys

No it won't it will simply amplify and change the tone a bit from what you already have - it is only a muffler. Aggressive pops burbles and bangs (good or bad) beyond what you already have can only be achieved with a flash tune and no a piggyback (JB4, JB+, RaceChip, Dinan Box) cannot achieve this because they have no control over your cars DME (cars computer)

I am running a Mission Performance Flash and it obnoxiously pops and bangs in sport + and is church quiet in comfort. That is not a function of the flap but rather the programming. That said I can make it quiet without loss of performance in sport + too but for now that's how I have it set up

Hope this helps

ps- you have a 2020 so it can be remote unlocked and tuned with MP (or others) in your driveway - just buy the MP software and enjoy

pps- i am running the tune with catted DP and it is very impressive - I really need to get an updated sound clip up. I would certainly do a DP before an exhaust (if you are after sound and a little performance)

Last edited by chenry; 12-25-2021 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 3
      01-02-2022, 05:56 AM   #5
BMWM4_SA
South Africa
Rep

Okay so for the sake of maintenance plan (that's what we have here in South Africa) I decided to go with the M Performance Exhaust, definitely loud and burbles are start to kick in more, with some pops here and there

I compared it to my brothers M140i with M Performance Exhaust and they M340i is definitely louder
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:52 AM   #6
maximking
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Okay so for the sake of maintenance plan (that's what we have here in South Africa) I decided to go with the M Performance Exhaust, definitely loud and burbles are start to kick in more, with some pops here and there

I compared it to my brothers M140i with M Performance Exhaust and they M340i is definitely louder
are you Gauteng brother ?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #7
BMWM4_SA
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximking View Post
are you Gauteng brother ?
That I am my good sir
Appreciate 1
maximking107.50
      02-23-2022, 10:30 AM   #8
CriSlasher
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
No it won't it will simply amplify and change the tone a bit from what you already have - it is only a muffler. Aggressive pops burbles and bangs (good or bad) beyond what you already have can only be achieved with a flash tune and no a piggyback (JB4, JB+, RaceChip, Dinan Box) cannot achieve this because they have no control over your cars DME (cars computer)

I am running a Mission Performance Flash and it obnoxiously pops and bangs in sport + and is church quiet in comfort. That is not a function of the flap but rather the programming. That said I can make it quiet without loss of performance in sport + too but for now that's how I have it set up

Hope this helps

ps- you have a 2020 so it can be remote unlocked and tuned with MP (or others) in your driveway - just buy the MP software and enjoy

pps- i am running the tune with catted DP and it is very impressive - I really need to get an updated sound clip up. I would certainly do a DP before an exhaust (if you are after sound and a little performance)
What do you mean with MP Software? I've just bough a 2020 M340i with 2000 miles and was thinking in JB4 for performance, but I'll miss some more pops when downshifting or releasing the gas at high RPM. What can you recommend to have some pops without voiding the warranty (expires in dec 22).

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriSlasher View Post
What do you mean with MP Software? I've just bough a 2020 M340i with 2000 miles and was thinking in JB4 for performance, but I'll miss some more pops when downshifting or releasing the gas at high RPM. What can you recommend to have some pops without voiding the warranty (expires in dec 22).

Thanks in advance!
  • MP = Mission Performance a company that produces flash tunes (like MHD, BM3) they are based here in the US
  • A flash is the only way to meaningfully change the character of your exhaust (pops, bangs, upshifts etc..)
  • With a flash you can choose to have your exhaust as mild or aggressive as you want - my car is very aggressive in sport and sport + and oem like quiet in comfort
  • Anything you do to your car can potentially void a portion of your warranty (this is not limited to flash tunes example springs, intakes, wheels, exhaust, coding, etc can also potentially void a portion of your warranty)
  • Piggybacks are detectable even if removed - so if it is warranty that you are most concerned about - do nothing
  • I have been running MP for years now with zero issues - it's just like oem albeit with a lot more power

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
maximking
Banned
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
That I am my good sir
If wish add pops and bangs ( burbles in Sport mode )can drop by at workshop it s in GP pm me
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 09:48 PM   #11
sixpastnine
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

I have had MPE on both my 2010 135i (N54) and 2022 M340i (B58). I would say the MPE on my 3 series is louder, but the sound is less rich / has fewer dimensions. In my 1er, the exhaust would pop and burble, evoking (for me at least) stream water breaking over rocks, while in my 3er it almost just sounds like a flat "thump." Don't get me wrong, I think the tone on acceleration is great, and the volume is the way it should have been from the factory, but I've been somewhat disappointed. My 3er MPE was also a port install, so I can't offer any comparison with stock. Bottom line, this works for me (non-OEM would have been too loud) - and I definitely believe aftermarket exhaust is a MUST, but really the choice to make is which one. Cheers!
Appreciate 0