Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Issues with Bimmer-tech Amp in 2022 M340i

01-09-2022, 01:38 PM   #1
freej
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Issues with Bimmer-tech Amp in 2022 M340i

New here, but I've posted on a few other threads. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on the software and preferences I need to configure the Bimmer-tech amp myself? I purchased it from Kies Motorsport over Thanksgiving because they had a good deal on it. But since it wasn't directly from Bimmer-tech, it wasn't pre-configured, and they have been unresponsive in trying to help.

I also got their under-seat subs, and honestly, the whole thing sounds great, which is a shame because the following issues ruin the experience.

Loud Turn Signal - I noticed right away that all the car sounds like the turn signal and warnings are incredibly loud. Even after lowering everything in iDrive to its lowest value, there is no way to turn it down. Maybe there is a way to fix this in Bimmercode? I imagine if the amp was configured correctly, it wouldn't be so loud.

Fake Engine Noise - I posted in a few other threads about this issue, but the ASD is really loud and very annoying after installing the amp. I can't find a straightforward solution for this. I turned it off in Bimmer-code and still hear it. I've also seen mixed messages on the forum and YouTube. Some people can turn it off, others can't. Maybe I'm missing something? I noticed that if I'm parked and rev the engine, I can hear the real sounds, but it pumps in the fake audio once I am driving.

Hissing - Perhaps the most disappointing part of the Bimmer-tech amp is that I hear hissing when nothing is playing. Turning the volume down or mute doesn't change it, and sometimes it eventually disappears. I feel like it's happening when connecting to an audio source, but one isn't loaded because I don't hear it when playing music. It's similar to the loud turn signal. It's amplified (obviously from the new amp), and I imagine the only way to fix it is to configure the amp.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the good and the bad right now until I can find a prominent fix or I'll just take it out and go back to stock. These 3 issues make it really hard to recommend to anyone. Of course, none of this was mentioned in any of the videos or research I did. I assume it's because they got their amp pre-configured.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:47 PM   #2
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Have you tried to tune this DSP?
Appreciate 1
freej1.00
      01-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #3
freej
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Have you tried to tune this DSP?
I would if I knew how. I know zero about configuring anything since there are no docs I can find. All I have is access to the USB cable right now and no software to connect to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freej View Post
I would if I knew how. I know zero about configuring anything since there are no docs I can find. All I have is access to the USB cable right now and no software to connect to it.
The BimmerTech amp is a Match PP86DSP

- User/Install manual: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/medi...-86DSP_Web.pdf
- this is the PC tuning software: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/t...ool/downloads/

You may need to reduce the gains of all channels - this will immediately reduce the hiss, and the turn signal loudness. You may need to play with different levels of gains and EQ levels to keep the music loud and the noises down.

You will need to decode the ASD sound via Bimmercode - this is the engine sound thru the speakers. There is nothing in the PP86DSP that can be done to fix the loudness of the ASD.

Your vendor should have provided this support.
Appreciate 1
freej1.00
      01-10-2022, 02:17 PM   #5
freej
Rep

Thanks, will give that a try!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 05:51 PM   #6
freej
Rep

Encanto Thanks for the link and the point in the right direction. Sure enough, I loaded up the software, lowered the gain on the front left and center speakers, and the turn signal sounds "normal" again.

Bimmer-tech support reached out and they are going to work on a custom configuration based on the issues I reported here and to tweak it more for hip-hop. I was also able to resolve the hissing sound, it was coming from the front right speaker. Lowering the gain also fixed that.

The only thing I can't figure out is turning off the ASD via Bimmercode. I've disabled and enabled it but I can't tell any difference. Bimmer-tech offers a $70 service to disable it. Not sure if anyone has given it a try.

Even with my minor tweaks to the amp, it sounds exponentially better than the stock system. Their under-seat sub upgrades are perfect using the stock speakers everywhere else, it's like night and day. I was tempted to upgrade all the speakers but it felt like overkill for now.

I'll report back once I get the new settings and share a fix for the ASD when I figure one out.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:20 PM   #7
omarBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

Quote:
Encanto Thanks for the link and the point in the right direction. Sure enough, I loaded up the software, lowered the gain on the front left and center speakers, and the turn signal sounds "normal" again.

Bimmer-tech support reached out and they are going to work on a custom configuration based on the issues I reported here and to tweak it more for hip-hop. I was also able to resolve the hissing sound, it was coming from the front right speaker. Lowering the gain also fixed that.

The only thing I can't figure out is turning off the ASD via Bimmercode. I've disabled and enabled it but I can't tell any difference. Bimmer-tech offers a $70 service to disable it. Not sure if anyone has given it a try.

Even with my minor tweaks to the amp, it sounds exponentially better than the stock system. Their under-seat sub upgrades are perfect using the stock speakers everywhere else, it's like night and day. I was tempted to upgrade all the speakers but it felt like overkill for now.

I'll report back once I get the new settings and share a fix for the ASD when I figure one out.
Does your turn signal come out of your centre speaker as well as your left? Or just the left?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 03:52 AM   #8
freej
Rep

It appeared to come out of both the front left and center. Muting those channels disabled the turn signal sound all together. There was still a faint clicking because I don't think you can fully turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 05:01 PM   #9
omarBMW
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

Quote:

How did you lower the gain for specific speakers? Can't seem to figure it out
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #10
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarBMW View Post
How did you lower the gain for specific speakers? Can't seem to figure it out
Use the PC Tuning Software: https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/tools/dsp-pc-tool/
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 09:27 PM   #11
DarrylW
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4(deceased)2018 M5

So you’re running the amp with stock speakers and just subs added? Just trying to get an idea which way I want to go with my upgrades. Base audio system for me, thinking about bavsound but hesitant without an amp. I’m coming from a M5 with the B&W system
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 12:23 PM   #12
RawDog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M340I Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylW View Post
So you’re running the amp with stock speakers and just subs added? Just trying to get an idea which way I want to go with my upgrades. Base audio system for me, thinking about bavsound but hesitant without an amp. I’m coming from a M5 with the B&W system
Same.. per BAVSOUND their speakers at minimum levels sound crisper, better but on par with stock.
But over half volume, it’s night and day without an amp. I’m turned off by the extra sounds of the amp and the huge markup considering it’s a AF..
Appreciate 0