BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Update issues

12-18-2021, 01:05 PM   #1
Andyww5
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series G20

Update issues

Hi, hoping someone can advise. Bought my car - 320D M Sport Pro back in June (21 Plate) but can't seem to update the software, currently on 07/2020.54, popped to the dealer and they seem to think I'm talking about a map update but I'm not and tried to make that clear. Should I have a newer software version? From looking on this forums looks like I should have had a few, mainly want to have the update to keep Steering Invention off
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyww5 View Post
Hi, hoping someone can advise. Bought my car - 320D M Sport Pro back in June (21 Plate) but can't seem to update the software, currently on 07/2020.54, popped to the dealer and they seem to think I'm talking about a map update but I'm not and tried to make that clear. Should I have a newer software version? From looking on this forums looks like I should have had a few, mainly want to have the update to keep Steering Invention off
Should have updated by now I would have thought even if through the mybmw app
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 03:17 AM   #3
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Mine is exactly the same as yours registered in October 2020...

I did have issues with the maps never updating but updating the apps and services fixed that and they update OK, latest done last week.

The car goes in for a service on the 30th and they are going to look at it to see why it will not update.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 07:50 AM   #4
Andyww5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarttunstall View Post
Mine is exactly the same as yours registered in October 2020...

I did have issues with the maps never updating but updating the apps and services fixed that and they update OK, latest done last week.

The car goes in for a service on the 30th and they are going to look at it to see why it will not update.
Yeah it does look like we have the same issue, I'll do a live chat with the BMW genius and report back with their advise also for reference. It might also be a case of dropping into another dealership but probably won't be until the New Year
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
Andyww5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
Quote:
Should have updated by now I would have thought even if through the mybmw app
See I thought the same thing but in the app says no update available and after the car completes a software update search still bring up nothing also
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 02:04 PM   #6
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I can keep trying but nothing is found... See if the dealer can find any reason why, as I say the maps was the same but that seems OK now...

The BMW Genius gave me this info, not tried it, will just wait until the 30th and let them sort it.

Good morning Stuart,

I’m sorry to hear that you are still having trouble updating the software in your vehicle. The next step, as you have suggested, will be to get the vehicle plugged in to diagnose and have one of our technicians take a look.

I will email my aftersales team and request that this be investigated when you come in on the 30th for your Service.

There is a list of prerequisites that I have found which require fulfilling in order for the vehicle to perform a software update. It might be worth just checking that all of the following have been met.

• ID transmitter (Key) is in the vehicle
• Gear selector switch is in position P
• Parking brake is activated
• No connector in the diagnostic socket
• No data carrier in the drives (front and rear) (USB devices)
• Exterior lights are switched off.

• The vehicle battery must be charged sufficiently in order to supply the control units with voltage for the duration of the Remote Software Upgrade. If this is not the case, installation of the Remote Software Upgrade is delayed until the battery has a sufficient state of charge.

I hope this helps. If you still do not receive the update we can take a look when you visit on the 30th December for your Service.

Kind regards,
Phil
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Mine's a Sep 19 build and same issue. Annoying as I like to keep the car up to date so it's a double whammy knowing for whatever reason they're being slow to roll out that version (if at all) to us.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
user1811
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
There is a list of prerequisites that I have found which require fulfilling in order for the vehicle to perform a software update. It might be worth just checking that all of the following have been met.
These prerequisites must be met after the upgrade is found and before the upgrade can start. It doesn't look that you are at that stage yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 10:27 PM   #9
CraigS73
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

My 2020 G21 is the same. Stuck with its original software of 03/2030.30

I found out that the dealer can send the update to the car, as well as BMW. Mine still has no updates available after both trying to send remote updates. It’s now booked in to the dealership Tuesday to find out why it won’t update…
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #10
stuarttunstall
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Mine has been into the dealer today for a service...

They have reprogrammed the control units and it completed the update... now on 11/2021.40 so later version... going to email to see if they can tell me what this includes... they hope this will no fix the OTA updates in future

Good service from Vertu Motors York, Lucy on service was great... oh and had a 220i loan car lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 04:12 AM   #11
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigS73 View Post
My 2020 G21 is the same. Stuck with its original software of 03/2030.30

I found out that the dealer can send the update to the car, as well as BMW. Mine still has no updates available after both trying to send remote updates. It’s now booked in to the dealership Tuesday to find out why it won’t update…
2030? Got a changelog for that one?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 08:28 AM   #12
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

There no change logs for istep updates, even in ista so no point emailing and asking

At best, they will put out some press "release notes" on launch of the next RSU
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:49 AM   #13
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
There no change logs for istep updates, even in ista so no point emailing and asking

At best, they will put out some press "release notes" on launch of the next RSU
https://media.giphy.com/media/jXD7kFLwudbBC/giphy.gif
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 10:54 AM   #14
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

I was replied to stuarttunstall's post, didn't see yours :P
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:30 AM   #15
Andyww5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine has been into the dealer today for a service...

They have reprogrammed the control units and it completed the update... now on 11/2021.40 so later version... going to email to see if they can tell me what this includes... they hope this will no fix the OTA updates in future

Good service from Vertu Motors York, Lucy on service was great... oh and had a 220i loan car lol
Sorry for the radio silence. Booked my car in for 3rd Feb so hopefully they'll do the same as they did to your car and should receive OTA updates from then on, I can't see why not 😀
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #16
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry for the radio silence. Booked my car in for 3rd Feb so hopefully they'll do the same as they did to your car and should receive OTA updates from then on, I can't see why not 😀
How'd you get on? Still waiting here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 10:09 AM   #17
Andyww5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman77 View Post
Quote:
How'd you get on? Still waiting here.
Apologies for the delay. The Car has been into the dealer and they found a few error codes when they plugged the car in but said they weren't too sure what had caused them and they pushed the update through fine manually with their computers. Hopefully from now on I'll receive the OTA updates fingers crossed! Very glad to keep the lane assist feature turned off all the time now.
Appreciate 0