Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Suggestions for a first-time BMW owner?

01-15-2022, 01:35 AM   #1
gsach123
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-sport (Booked)

Question Suggestions for a first-time BMW owner?

Good Morning/ Evening,

I have booked my first luxury/sports/BMW vehicle and it's a 330i M-sport in Portimao Blue with the mocha interiors.
Here in India, we don't really have options to customise the exterior and interior much apart from the colour of the vehicle, but when I visited the showroom, I saw a 330i in Portimao Blue standing there and instantly, I knew that was the car I wanted to drive for the next 8-10 years.

I am writing this here to ask my fellow BMW G20 owners the following:

1. What would you recommend I get done to the vehicle as soon as it gets delivered to me? Anything Portimao Blue specific or 3 series specific or in general for a BMW....
Any do's or dont's from personal experience

2. I read on this forum that a lot of people got ceramic coating done to their vehicles, what is the difference between a full body PPF (XPEL) vs a ceramic coating, and which is a better choice, especially for the Portimao Blue? Does one make the colour better over the other?
I planned on getting the PPF, mainly because I read that it helps in the car withstanding scratches better for a longer period of time.

Appreciate the suggestions from you guys, and thanks in advance!

Can't wait to drive my 3!

Cheers,
G
Appreciate 1
BMR_CK35.00
      01-15-2022, 03:12 AM   #2
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Do check out online discussions of PPF vs. ceramic, like this one:

https://www.exclusivedetail.com/pain...ramic-coating/

As far as anything to get done on a brand new car, that really is personal preference. My suggestion is not to mod anything that can affect your new car warranty in your locales, and do enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #3
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

All I did was tint followed by swapping out the A/S for Michelins PS4S's.
      01-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
finn1969
BMW Fan
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M40

Garage List
2023 BMW  [9.00]
2016 Z4 3.5I  [6.00]
Use your turn signals!

Get rid of the runflats if your roads are not decent. I had two sidewall bubbles due to poor tarmac. Besides they're cheaper and ride better.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2022, 04:32 AM   #5
gsach123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Do check out online discussions of PPF vs. ceramic, like this one:

https://www.exclusivedetail.com/pain...ramic-coating/

As far as anything to get done on a brand new car, that really is personal preference. My suggestion is not to mod anything that can affect your new car warranty in your locales, and do enjoy your new ride!
Thanks, I think I'll go for the PPF (Xpel Ultimate Plus) for the whole car body.
More than rock chips, my neighbour park their car very close to my parking and when opening the door, scratches could come on contact. Apart from that, someone scratched ALL over my Honda hood with a key when we'd gone to a friend's house. Such people exist and I want to protect my car before, incase these psychomaniacs come in close proximity to my car unsupervised.

As for mods, I think I'll only change my grill to glossy black one, really complements the colour well.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:37 AM   #6
gsach123
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn1969 View Post
Use your turn signals!

Get rid of the runflats if your roads are not decent. I had two sidewall bubbles due to poor tarmac. Besides they're cheaper and ride better.

And give BMW drivers a good name? naah, BMW drivers are known to be rash drivers. But can you blame them? These cars are made to have fun while driving and all that power on tap is tempting

This isn't the first time I'm hearing about runflats not being good tires.
Well, I live in India, and mostly gonna use it in city. While majority of the roads are good in my city, you can't deny the number of potholes and patches of bad roads that can be found.

What's the difference between these runflats and regular tires in terms of driving?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 05:13 AM   #7
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsach123 View Post
Good Morning/ Evening,

I have booked my first luxury/sports/BMW vehicle and it's a 330i M-sport in Portimao Blue with the mocha interiors.
Here in India, we don't really have options to customise the exterior and interior much apart from the colour of the vehicle, but when I visited the showroom, I saw a 330i in Portimao Blue standing there and instantly, I knew that was the car I wanted to drive for the next 8-10 years.

I am writing this here to ask my fellow BMW G20 owners the following:

1. What would you recommend I get done to the vehicle as soon as it gets delivered to me? Anything Portimao Blue specific or 3 series specific or in general for a BMW....
Any do's or dont's from personal experience

2. I read on this forum that a lot of people got ceramic coating done to their vehicles, what is the difference between a full body PPF (XPEL) vs a ceramic coating, and which is a better choice, especially for the Portimao Blue? Does one make the colour better over the other?
I planned on getting the PPF, mainly because I read that it helps in the car withstanding scratches better for a longer period of time.

Appreciate the suggestions from you guys, and thanks in advance!

Can't wait to drive my 3!

Cheers,
G
Just enjoy it!

The M Performance body kit is quite subtle but does look good, especially the carbon fibre rear spoiler and diffuser. It’s pretty expensive though
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:43 AM   #8
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsach123 View Post
Thanks, I think I'll go for the PPF (Xpel Ultimate Plus) for the whole car body.
More than rock chips, my neighbour park their car very close to my parking and when opening the door, scratches could come on contact. Apart from that, someone scratched ALL over my Honda hood with a key when we'd gone to a friend's house. Such people exist and I want to protect my car before, incase these psychomaniacs come in close proximity to my car unsupervised.

As for mods, I think I'll only change my grill to glossy black one, really complements the colour well.
Yeah PPF does help on minor door dings/scratches. Grille swap is a popular DIY mod.

As far as psychomaniacs, today I found a 1-inch diameter light dent on my G20's roof.

There is no paint damage, but it looks like someone bangs with fist, or lands heavy metal water bottle on my roof. Oh well ....
Appreciate 0