Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions water leaking into floor

01-18-2022, 08:07 PM   #1
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
water leaking into floor

my cup of woes with my G20 continues. my car was a Nov 2018 build, so was one of the first g20s. has had a series of maintenance issues. latest being wet floors on the rear seat areas. the dealer has ruled out the two most obvious causes - blocked sunroof of AC drain. they are still investigating.
what else could have caused the water buildup? has anyone else faced similar issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:16 PM   #2
Delighted_Jester
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
my cup of woes with my G20 continues. my car was a Nov 2018 build, so was one of the first g20s. has had a series of maintenance issues. latest being wet floors on the rear seat areas. the dealer has ruled out the two most obvious causes - blocked sunroof of AC drain. they are still investigating.
what else could have caused the water buildup? has anyone else faced similar issues?
it is even raining where you live? or are you driving in areas where there is standing water?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:29 PM   #3
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delighted_Jester View Post
Quote:
it is even raining where you live? or are you driving in areas where there is standing water?
I first the carpet behind the driver seat was soaking wet after driving in heavy rain on Friday. I assumed it was the rain that got in through a blocked sunroof drain. kept the windows open overnight, the carpet was mostly dry by Saturday. then went on a drive in hot weather on Sunday. found the carpet was wet again. so thought maybe it's the AC drain. quite surprised that the dealer has not been able to find the issue after two days.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:43 AM   #4
Delighted_Jester
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delighted_Jester View Post
Quote:
I first the carpet behind the driver seat was soaking wet after driving in heavy rain on Friday. I assumed it was the rain that got in through a blocked sunroof drain. kept the windows open overnight, the carpet was mostly dry by Saturday. then went on a drive in hot weather on Sunday. found the carpet was wet again. so thought maybe it's the AC drain. quite surprised that the dealer has not been able to find the issue after two days.
try driving it on a hot day with the A/C off. if the carpet is totally dry prior and after its wet after, its probably the A/C and not a rain leak. another good test is to sit in the car while someone sprays it with a hose to see if you can find the leak.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      01-19-2022, 07:29 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Is it that there is water under the carpets... coming through on your hot run? Can slosh around under the carpets, without being detected in some cases.

I'm assuming you or the dealer have checked under the inner doors for damp. Vapour barriers are prone to come unstuck if they are stressed, (likely due to heat on hot sunny days), Moisture on the door sills, in rain, a first clue to water ingress.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      01-19-2022, 02:19 PM   #6
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
thanks guys. no dampness or water on the inner doors or nearby area. the car is still at the dealer. they have taken off the carpet to dry it and also try locate the source.
my theory is the heavy rain somehow got water in, it stayed under the carpet (a rubber piece under the driver seat tracks was still squishy after the carpet dried), then when I drove on Saturday this water again wetted the carpet.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2022, 09:09 PM   #7
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
the dealer now thinks is the sunroof that is the source of the leak.. is it somehow possible that the drains are ok, but perhaps the seals are not, and too much water got into the sunroof channel which then overwhelmed the drains? I would have thought that in such a scenario it would leak from the top and not from the floor..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
the dealer now thinks is the sunroof that is the source of the leak.. is it somehow possible that the drains are ok, but perhaps the seals are not, and too much water got into the sunroof channel which then overwhelmed the drains? I would have thought that in such a scenario it would leak from the top and not from the floor..
When I had this issue on other cars, the drain lines were the culprit. I would just ask in detail what the dealer did to validate the drains were clear.
My "gut" is that the dealer just looked at the holes and didn't validate performance of the drains or run a cleaner brush.
If water builds up, it drains down the door pillar between the front and back seats.
Good luck!
      01-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #9
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
Quote:
When I had this issue on other cars, the drain lines were the culprit. I would just ask in detail what the dealer did to validate the drains were clear.
My "gut" is that the dealer just looked at the holes and didn't validate performance of the drains or run a cleaner brush.
If water builds up, it drains down the door pillar between the front and back seats.
Good luck!
thanks, that's exactly where the water built up
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      01-20-2022, 02:44 PM   #10
Yossi123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21

I had a similar issue, check out my thread:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1735989
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      01-20-2022, 09:23 PM   #11
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
so latest update from the dealer. they have checked sunroof drain lines, it is clear. AC drains are clear too. they have removed the carpet and tried washing the car with someone sitting inside. no sign of a leak. they have given up, can't locate the leak, will now put the car together and return it.
the only other thing I can think of is a potential defect in the underside of the car. I drove over a shallow stream of water on the road. was very heavy rain and water was flowing down the gradient. did not seem dangerous, all the cars drove through it. could this have caused the leak, how hard is it to check?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #12
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Quote:
so latest update from the dealer. they have checked sunroof drain lines, it is clear. AC drains are clear too. they have removed the carpet and tried washing the car with someone sitting inside. no sign of a leak. they have given up, can't locate the leak, will now put the car together and return it.
the only other thing I can think of is a potential defect in the underside of the car. I drove over a shallow stream of water on the road. was very heavy rain and water was flowing down the gradient. did not seem dangerous, all the cars drove through it. could this have caused the leak, how hard is it to check?
They probably unknowingly removed the problem from the sun roof.
As for driving through a stream of water, I don't know. If there was a "hole" in the bottom of the car, in my opinion, the dealer would of I identified it when pulling the carpet.
I thought the same thing when I had the issue on the another car but ultimately it was the sunroof.
When I ordered the my M340, I did not want the sunroof but was standard and not an option delete.
Hopefully this issue is resolved.
Cheers!
      01-21-2022, 03:08 PM   #13
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Regarding the sunroof, it's more trouble than its worth it. Rattles and leaks.. can't find a bimmer without one either..
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      01-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #14
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote:
Regarding the sunroof, it's more trouble than its worth it. Rattles and leaks.. can't find a bimmer without one either..
I would have custom ordered in a heartbeat if I could delete the sunroof from an M340i. I'm pretty sure the sunroof in my E46 is going to be a problem before it's over and I don't even open the slider.
seccsc239.00
francton126.50
      01-24-2022, 07:34 PM   #15
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
The dealers had the car for a whole week now. They say they need the car for another week as the carpets are not dry yet! It's been hot 30 degree days recently and I'm surprised the carpets are still wet, especially since they had taken the carpets out to dry. Does it take this long to dry?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #16
Lakeside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW 330i

Quote:
The dealers had the car for a whole week now. They say they need the car for another week as the carpets are not dry yet! It's been hot 30 degree days recently and I'm surprised the carpets are still wet, especially since they had taken the carpets out to dry. Does it take this long to dry?
I’d say anything that is wet more than a couple days is a mold risk.
francton126.50
      01-24-2022, 08:33 PM   #17
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
I agree. However they took the carpet out on Wednesday. Wouldn't it have dried by now, especially in hot weather?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 02:08 AM   #18
partialresponse
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 ZHP 6MT, '22 G22 RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I'm pretty sure the sunroof in my E46 is going to be a problem before it's over and I don't even open the slider.
Mine hasn’t given me any trouble at all with leaks or rattles. The vapor barrier in the front door let water into the car and it took a very long time to figure out that that was the source of the wet carpet after driving in the rain or with the car parked in the rain. The leak was slow enough to make detection difficult. Easily one of the most frustrating problems I’ve had on the E46.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      01-25-2022, 07:25 AM   #19
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I suspect it depends on whether they are giving them attention, or just letting them dry naturally.

I know when my car leaked, it took a lot of attention to the thick backing foam, (with a fan heater blowing warm air), as well as on the carpet surface, to get completely dried out, even in our UK summer.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      01-26-2022, 02:30 AM   #20
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
The car gods are definitely angry with me. The loan car (118i) picked up a nail puncture. It's fully flat now. The Goodyear tyre does not seem to be run flats (no "Run on Flat" or ROF marking on the tyre). Looking at the flat tyre profile, doesn't look like a run flat (pls see pic). No spare wheel in the car. No tyre repair kit either. What the hell was BMW thinking? Have to now get it towed to the dealer I guess.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:01 AM   #21
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
The car gods are definitely angry with me. The loan car (118i) picked up a nail puncture. It's fully flat now. The Goodyear tyre does not seem to be run flats (no "Run on Flat" or ROF marking on the tyre). Looking at the flat tyre profile, doesn't look like a run flat (pls see pic). No spare wheel in the car. No tyre repair kit either. What the hell was BMW thinking? Have to now get it towed to the dealer I guess.
Feel for you…..
Appreciate 1
francton126.50
      01-26-2022, 07:11 AM   #22
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
I don't believe these come with spare tires or repair kit as standard. Same as our G20s.

I can understand why a dealer won't equip their loaners with spares/repair kit. You could call BMW roadside assistance and you should be on your way. Otherwise I'd tow it to the dealership.

Not to sound negative: for what it's worth depending on the loaner agreement you signed the dealer *could* charge you for the damage. Hopefully that's not the case.

Oh and good luck with your car. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
francton126.50