Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Audiotec Fischer release an amp / harness for iDrive7

04-03-2021, 03:40 AM   #89
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Hi.. I got mine professionally tuned for my G20 and was there while it was done. There was no such issues for me (Although ASD is louder!) and I've been driving it for about 6 months too. I've got a similar setup to you, RAM, MatchUp amp, sub amp and sub and replacement speakers (Bavsound).

You could try emailing Honza at www.sound-tech.com.au to see if he's run into the issue? I know he's done a few now, and even though you're on the other side of the world he might help?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #90
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Mine is being delivered today and will work on install this week! Will need to find someone with a PC to load the file though.
Appreciate 1
njfoses290.50
      04-04-2021, 07:05 AM   #91
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Mine is being delivered today and will work on install this week! Will need to find someone with a PC to load the file though.
Where did you order from?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #92
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Where did you order from?
Bought it from car tunes in Santa Rosa CA. They shipped it to me with the necessary harness. Email address cartunes@sonic.net.
Appreciate 1
njfoses290.50
      04-05-2021, 02:47 PM   #93
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

As an update:

I installed the Match Up 7 DSP MECA amplifier today in my car. Very smooth install, although I realize I forgot how the foam piece that came out when i took the tow hook out goes back in (I'm a dope). Haven't been able to tune the amp yet with the software because I don't have a PC, but going to try that tonight. For info, I have the full Bavsound stage 1 (component speakers) and stage 2 (ghost subwoofers). Initial thoughts:

1) Much louder, sounds good, but tuning I think will help a lot
2) Not much bass, however this may be a tuning issue too, so reserving judgment.
3) Briefly had a park sensor warning. Turned the car off, turned it back on and it went away
4) Turn signal and ASD is louder, but it didn't seem terrible. I wasn't going very fast, so not sure whether some of the sound adjustment stuff will be more pronounced at higher speeds.
5) Phone volume was loud, but when turned down to the lowest setting also seemed pretty normal

If anyone remembers where I'm supposed to put that foam piece, that would be awesome. Also huge thank you to PKells for sending pics of his install and connecting me with the distributor to buy the amp.
Appreciate 1
njfoses290.50
      04-05-2021, 10:46 PM   #94
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Tuning will definitely improve all round performance, including bass, as I've had that exact setup before. Having said that I lasted 3 months before getting a dedicated subwoofer and amp. No idea about the foam. Good luck!
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc233.00
      04-06-2021, 08:13 AM   #95
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As an update:

I installed the Match Up 7 DSP MECA amplifier today in my car. Very smooth install, although I realize I forgot how the foam piece that came out when i took the tow hook out goes back in (I'm a dope). Haven't been able to tune the amp yet with the software because I don't have a PC, but going to try that tonight. For info, I have the full Bavsound stage 1 (component speakers) and stage 2 (ghost subwoofers). Initial thoughts:

1) Much louder, sounds good, but tuning I think will help a lot
2) Not much bass, however this may be a tuning issue too, so reserving judgment.
3) Briefly had a park sensor warning. Turned the car off, turned it back on and it went away
4) Turn signal and ASD is louder, but it didn't seem terrible. I wasn't going very fast, so not sure whether some of the sound adjustment stuff will be more pronounced at higher speeds.
5) Phone volume was loud, but when turned down to the lowest setting also seemed pretty normal

If anyone remembers where I'm supposed to put that foam piece, that would be awesome. Also huge thank you to PKells for sending pics of his install and connecting me with the distributor to buy the amp.
What were your thoughts after the Bavsound upgrade before you installed the amp? Debating Bavsound as replacements for all speakers including under seat woofers, but dont think i can then swing the amp on top.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #96
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
What were your thoughts after the Bavsound upgrade before you installed the amp? Debating Bavsound as replacements for all speakers including under seat woofers, but dont think i can then swing the amp on top.
If you can only do one, do the amp over the speakers. The speakers alone are too underpowered with the standard amp in the RAM and it's a bit of a waste.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 02:45 AM   #97
Bumker
Rep
Drives: G20 330d

I change the amp first .... believe me, you will see a noticeable difference with stock OEM speaker.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 08:03 AM   #98
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
If you can only do one, do the amp over the speakers. The speakers alone are too underpowered with the standard amp in the RAM and it's a bit of a waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumker View Post
I change the amp first .... believe me, you will see a noticeable difference with stock OEM speaker.
There is no standard tuning file for the amp correct? Without proper measuring equipment tuning will be a bit of a fruitless effort. This is one of the reasons i am considering the speakers only/first.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 10:43 AM   #99
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There is no standard tuning file for the amp correct? Without proper measuring equipment tuning will be a bit of a fruitless effort. This is one of the reasons i am considering the speakers only/first.
There is-If you go to the audio tech Fischer website they have standard tuning files for the g20. I just don’t have a pc so waiting to borrow one.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #100
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is-If you go to the audio tech Fischer website they have standard tuning files for the g20. I just don’t have a pc so waiting to borrow one.
Thanks for that info. What were your thoughts of the speaker only upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #101
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that info. What were your thoughts of the speaker only upgrade?
Clarity was better, sounded a bit cleaner but lacked oomph. Had to turn it up to 75% to be loud enough on the highway. I sort of agree that amp is the way to go. Will let you know after I tune since out of the box bass is low right now, but I think that’s a tuning issue.
Appreciate 1
njfoses290.50
      04-08-2021, 12:01 AM   #102
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I ran just the Bavsound speakers on the stock amp.. it's ok, but not worth the value when it's more expensive than the amp - and that included installation and tuning. I then put in the MATCH amp and it's miles better (once tuned). It's even better again with a sub and sub amp.

Last edited by AustraliaG20; 04-08-2021 at 07:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc233.00
      04-08-2021, 06:07 AM   #103
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Clarity was better, sounded a bit cleaner but lacked oomph. Had to turn it up to 75% to be loud enough on the highway. I sort of agree that amp is the way to go. Will let you know after I tune since out of the box bass is low right now, but I think that’s a tuning issue.
I had the same impressions after running all ETON speakers on factory HIFI amp. Clarity and warmth of the sound was much better. But volume went down a little, and the speakers were clearly limited by the (lack of) quality of the factory amp.

Once I powered them with MatchUP amp with the correct DSP profile that I tuned by ear - the difference was HUGE.

Last edited by Calamari; 04-26-2021 at 03:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
helmet91297.50
      04-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #104
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

So I installed the G20 sound file, and also did the bass expander and Real Center feature. Wow--night and day difference. The bass is tight, very clear. Seems a bit center focused, but overall it's an insane difference. It is also quite loud. The chimes and turn signals don't bother me. Will need to see what sport mode sounds like later today, but it's impressive. I think amp was definitely a much more significant change than speakers/underseat woofers. I was initially considering adding a powered subwoofer, but the way it sounds now I have no reason to. Very impressed.

Edit: Going to try looking in the software again to see if there is a way to reduce the overall master volume. This may minimize some of the contribution of the ASD/chimes, etc. As it is right now, I can't listen to it more than 50% because it's really quite loud.

Last edited by pneumodoc; 04-09-2021 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 2
helmet91297.50
njfoses290.50
      04-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #105
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
So I installed the G20 sound file, and also did the bass expander and Real Center feature. Wow--night and day difference. The bass is tight, very clear. Seems a bit center focused, but overall it's an insane difference. It is also quite loud. The chimes and turn signals don't bother me. Will need to see what sport mode sounds like later today, but it's impressive. I think amp was definitely a much more significant change than speakers/underseat woofers. I was initially considering adding a powered subwoofer, but the way it sounds now I have no reason to. Very impressed.

Edit: Going to try looking in the software again to see if there is a way to reduce the overall master volume. This may minimize some of the contribution of the ASD/chimes, etc. As it is right now, I can't listen to it more than 50% because it's really quite loud.
I might be missing something but just keep the volume below 50% on the car controls ? Unless of course they are too jumpy and it goes from almost silent to LOUD after one or two turns
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #106
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
I might be missing something but just keep the volume below 50% on the car controls ? Unless of course they are too jumpy and it goes from almost silent to LOUD after one or two turns
I’m wondering if it will make the chimes and ASD less prominent.

Edit: didn’t work. Decided to use the default G20 sound file, turn off the bass boost, and leave real center on. Sounds quite good.

Last edited by pneumodoc; 04-09-2021 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 05:07 AM   #107
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
I’m wondering if it will make the chimes and ASD less prominent.

Edit: didn’t work. Decided to use the default G20 sound file, turn off the bass boost, and leave real center on. Sounds quite good.
I would suggest to spend an additional hour or two on setting up time corrections. (In case you haven't already)

You can do it yourself by following the instructions from audiotec fischer's guide "by ear". It will set the stage right in front of you, in the eye level.

Last edited by Calamari; 04-10-2021 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc233.00
      04-10-2021, 10:08 AM   #108
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
I would suggest to spend an additional hour or two on setting up time corrections. (In case you haven't already)

You can do it yourself by following the instructions from audiotec fischer's guide "by ear". It will set the stage right in front of you, in the eye level.
Since I will have to borrow a pc again to do it, may be delayed trying it but will give it a try. Thanks for the input! It really is quite a nice set up.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #109
copene
Rep
Drives: BMX 2020 X3

Hey guys, so here's a few pics on how to install the MATCH UP 7 DSP and external sub amp. I'm using a PPI i650.1 because it's powerful, cheap, clean sounding and fits this build perfectly.

The battery is in the trunk and the positive lead can be fished to the amp area easily by hand. I traced a quarter on the RED power line plastic cover and cut it so the 4awg lead could pass through. I screwed the 100AMP fuse to the hard foam insert and is located about 10" from the battery.

The black metal bracket holding the RAM module is held on by 3 bolts, unhook the RAM module and take out the 3 bolts. Basically what you're going to do is FLIP the RAM module so that's installed on the opposite side using the same bolt holes. You'll have to bang out the three black screws and replace them with three 1" bolts with nuts just like it's originally installed. Here's where it gets a little tricky.... I took the black bracket and traced it onto a piece of 1/4" wood and cut it out to fit perfectly on top of the black bracket. This way you can bolt the new amps to the wood and have something between metal on metal. I drilled pilot holes through the wood using the same holes I banged out that were holding the RAM module on and bolted the RAM module to the back while also securing the wood to the bracket. I then bolted on the Match up upside down and the PPI i650.1 using small 1/4" screws and larger 1" bolts with nuts going right through the wood and metal. Make sure you have a good drill and also make sure you pound down the weird hooks and raised black metal parts on the bracket. I guess they use this piece for many vehicles as there are other screws and inserts that are not used that need to be knocked out and flattened to be able to mount your 1/4" wood or plastic you'll be mounting to the black metal.

I was going to use the top left factory bolt to ground to so I grinded the black paint off but there is a better point to ground to that already has a bunch of BROWN wires (grounds) going to it under the next panel that easily comes off by taking out the two plastic pop up screws.

The rest is basic amp setup. Let me know if this helps or if you need any other info.

PS the bottom two photos are flipped. Both need to be flipped right 90 degrees.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
pneumodoc233.00
      04-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #110
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep

I have to say it’s been about a week since installing my match amplifier. In the interim I actually had a HiFi m340 as a loaner and it is just night and day. The chimes and ASD don’t bother me (and aren’t that bad). The sound difference is exceptional, and the bass from the underseat woofers is good especially if you’re not trying to wake the neighbors. It is a clean, powerful sounding setup. Highly recommended, and installed was not difficult.
Appreciate 1
Calamari208.50