Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2021 Flashing.... Bad News for now...

11-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

2021 Flashing.... Bad News for now...

Spoke to a few people over the last few days at some of the top companies that flash our cars. The 2021 model 340 is not tunable at the moment. On top of the 2020 anti tuning software that could be overcome with a bench unlock, there is a new modification in the DME that doesn't allow a bench unlock or flash to work.

I was told that these same tuners are trying to work around it, but not to expect anything for a little while, as its going to take time IF its able to be done at all.

I was hoping to flash my car soon. Oh well. I have to wait now.

Anyone else hear anything about this? Any vendors with anymore info they can provide please?
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      11-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #2
Denys_BMW
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I bought my car March 2020.
Still can't flash it with MHD via OBD. No xHP for it too.
I decided to take RaceChip GTS for next season and after we will see.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Yeah this has come up a few times already - a bummer for 2021 owners (for now)

To summarize, shortly after the start of 2021 M340 production Bosch switched things up and moved to a new DME. To date, the new DME has not been able to be unlocked by the aftermarket.

This is a typical cat and mouse with BMW and the tuners. However I do understand this latest DME presents some new and unique challenges (in terms of an unlock)

Globally Mission Performance has been the first to crack every rev of B58 software/hardware to date....time will tell if they will be first to market again

Last edited by chenry; 11-19-2020 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Other threads on it. Use a JB4 for now to have fun. Add in a back end flash map later once they crack it. They always crack them eventually!

JB4 is really easy to install. The basic setup is 3 connections, TMAP, MAP and CANbus (the real difference maker tuning wise!).
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
H433x0n
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post

To summarize, shortly after the start of 2021 M340 production Bosch switched things up and moved to a new DME. To date, the new DME has not been able to be unlocked by the aftermarket.

This is a typical cat and mouse with BMW and the tuners. However I do understand this latest DME presents some new and unique challenges (in terms of an unlock)

Globally Mission Performance has been the first to crack every rev of B58 software/hardware to date....time will tell if they will be first to market again
It's not a new DME, it's the same ECU. It's an update in the OTP (one time programmable) bootcode of the ECU that closes a previous exploit that allowed arbitrary code execution when the ECU was removed from the car.
Appreciate 3
VipinLJ1936.50
      11-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H433x0n View Post
Quote:

It's not a new DME, it's the same ECU. It's an update in the OTP (one time programmable) bootcode of the ECU that closes a previous exploit that allowed arbitrary code execution when the ECU was removed from the car.
It was explained to me differently (or maybe I heard things differently) but I'll go with what you said (because you seem more in the know vs me)....cool thanks for the info and clarification

Last edited by chenry; 11-19-2020 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #7
H433x0n
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
It was explained to me differently (or maybe I heard things differently) but I'll go with what you said (because you seem more in the know vs me)....cool thanks for the info and clarification
Really? That's odd.

both 2020 & 2021 use the Bosch MG1CS201 DME with the Tricore Aurix processor. I own a 2021 M340i and there's a 2020 M340i at work.

For the bootmode read/write exploit, this was patched by Bosch in ~August 2020. This was a global update for all of their ECUs, for all manufacturers (VAG, Mercedes, BMW, etc). This even effects new MEVD17 ECUs (previous gen Bosch ECU) like what's in the F87 M2. This was presumably to keep their customer's happy since they likely got the contract with various OEMs partially due to their updated/upgraded security features implemented in the MG1 family of ECUs.

If you or anybody has any questions about any of this feel free to ask.
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really? That's odd.

both 2020 & 2021 use the Bosch MG1CS201 DME with the Tricore Aurix processor. I own a 2021 M340i and there's a 2020 M340i at work.

For the bootmode read/write exploit, this was patched by Bosch in ~August 2020. This was a global update for all of their ECUs, for all manufacturers (VAG, Mercedes, BMW, etc). This even effects new MEVD17 ECUs (previous gen Bosch ECU) like what's in the F87 M2. This was presumably to keep their customer's happy since they likely got the contract with various OEMs partially due to their updated/upgraded security features implemented in the MG1 family of ECUs.

you quoted me so I'll respond:

Thanks for the detailed info

ps- you work for/with Dinan (or a Holley company)? I am considering the Dinan monoballs

Last edited by chenry; 11-19-2020 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #9
H433x0n
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

ps- you work for/with Dinan (or a Holley company)? I am considering the Dinan monoballs
Yes, I’m Dinan’s software / reverse engineer. I wrote the Ethernet flashing algos that we’re hopefully going to be turning into a product soon.

As far as the mono balls, I’m pretty sure they’re installed on both the M340i and X3M at work. I’ve driven both of these quite a bit and can say this in conjunction with our other suspension products springs & supplementary handling kit make a massive difference. The difference between my car that has stock suspension vs the M340i at work is huge. The ride on the M340i gets more harsh, but IMO it’s a worthwhile trade off.
Appreciate 7
      11-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #10
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I’m Dinan’s software / reverse engineer. I wrote the Ethernet flashing algos that we’re hopefully going to be turning into a product soon.

As far as the mono balls, I’m pretty sure they’re installed on both the M340i and X3M at work. I’ve driven both of these quite a bit and can say this in conjunction with our other suspension products springs & supplementary handling kit make a massive difference. The difference between my car that has stock suspension vs the M340i at work is huge. The ride on the M340i gets more harsh, but IMO it’s a worthwhile trade off.
Cool thanks - that is what I was looking for I am already running the Dinan springs and bump stops and figured the monoballs would be a good add in anticipation of getting back to autoX etc...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
H433x0n
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Cool thanks - that is what I was looking for I am already running the Dinan springs and bump stops and figured the monoballs would be a good add in anticipation of getting back to autoX etc...
If you haven't already, you should really check out the catback. It's the first thing I bought after getting the car. In sport mode it's much more aggressive than the previous catbacks Dinan has made. It really transforms the whole car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
If you haven't already, you should really check out the catback. It's the first thing I bought after getting the car. In sport mode it's much more aggressive than the previous catbacks Dinan has made. It really transforms the whole car.
Can attest to this
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:36 PM   #13
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm very familiar with it (friend is running it) and it is very impressive indeed. But given I'm running a catted DP I'm about at my tolerance level for noise volume and anything more aggressive would likely be a wee bit too much (for me)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #14
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying with good info.

I can't say I am familiar with the terms you used, not a tech guy at all.... I dont need an explanation really..... just an opinion, do you think the new cars will be tunable eventually?

Thanks for chiming in.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #15
H433x0n
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post

I can't say I am familiar with the terms you used, not a tech guy at all.... I dont need an explanation really..... just an opinion, do you think the new cars will be tunable eventually?

Thanks for chiming in.
Eventually, yes. As far as I know, there's never been an implementation of tuning protection that has kept out the aftermarket indefinitely. It's the timeline that is the big variable.

I don't think it's unrealistic to say it could be a year or more for a bootmode exploit. For an OBD exploit, I feel like it could be sorted sooner.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #16
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Really? That's odd.

Can you help me understand this? Does this mean that if I take my unlocked ECU to the dealer for an update (which I have done before and they locked it so I had to get my ECU bench unlocked) they will lock it and this global update will lock my ECU with this new unlockable update? Or is this for all new ECU manufactured after August 2020.
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #17
H433x0n
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Can you help me understand this? Does this mean that if I take my unlocked ECU to the dealer for an update (which I have done before and they locked it so I had to get my ECU bench unlocked) they will lock it and this global update will lock my ECU with this new unlockable update? Or is this for all new ECU manufactured after August 2020.
There’s no way to retroactively ‘lock’ the bootmode exploit on ECUs that have this available. If you can bootmode unlock your ECU, you will always have this available to you as an option.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 02:30 PM   #18
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy19 View Post

Thanks for chiming in.
Eventually, yes. As far as I know, there's never been an implementation of tuning protection that has kept out the aftermarket indefinitely. It's the timeline that is the big variable.

I don't think it's unrealistic to say it could be a year or more for a bootmode exploit. For an OBD exploit, I feel like it could be sorted sooner.
Is the obd exploit easier? I was under the impression that it's harder to tune via obd than tune via bootmod exploit (having ecu hacked)
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #19
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for your insight on everything. I appreciate it.

Looking forward to a solution somehow so I can flash my car eventually.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 04:47 PM   #20
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

I don’t understand why they waste time money and resources to lock down the ecu, the amount of cars that blow up are usually out of warranty anyways.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 05:18 PM   #21
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
I don’t understand why they waste time money and resources to lock down the ecu, the amount of cars that blow up are usually out of warranty anyways.
Perhaps blowing a motor isn't the only concern BMW has...
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #22
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
Warranty work is probably part of it but I think emissions compliance is a bigger part. They are on the hook if they make it too easy for people to disable emissions fault codes and exceed factory tested specifications.
Appreciate 0