Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications NEW RELEASE: Dinan BMW G20 M340i Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System

02-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #45
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I have always been a fan of Dinan intakes, their carbon and finish is top-notch, they focus on performance, and are reasonably priced
Just wait, got a few in the pipeline that are going to make some jaws drop. =)
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2021, 02:17 PM   #46
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #47
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I have always been a fan of Dinan intakes, their carbon and finish is top-notch, they focus on performance, and are reasonably priced
Sounds like I'm dipping into the kids college fund, again.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #48
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Ordered last week but shipment got delayed by UPS
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #49
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
The eagle has landed!!! Lol, that's all for now. Once I get back home I'll take some more pics. Just had to crack the box open before I left.
Packaged very nicely 👍
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #50
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
The eagle has landed!!! Lol, that's all for now. Once I get back home I'll take some more pics. Just had to crack the box open before I left.
Packaged very nicely 👍
#subscribed
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 08:16 PM   #51
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Was a slight mix up with the hardware kit missing but support came thru and overnighted all of the missing hardware.

No impressions on driving yet, but looks nice 😎
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
      02-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #52
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ninja View Post
Was a slight mix up with the hardware kit missing but support came thru and overnighted all of the missing hardware.

No impressions on driving yet, but looks nice
Uh oh....I better check my package for all the parts before heading over to dealership for the install....
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:59 AM   #53
Jerrytarg6_m340
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 bmw m3 comp xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Attachment 2524809

Dinan BMW G20 M340i Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake System

Part Number(s): D760-0052

Applications:
  • 2019-2021 G20 M340i
Product Page(s) / Pricing: dinan.info/G20-M340-CAI

Release Date: [COLOR="Red"]Available Now![/COLOR]

Description: The M340i is an impressive car in terms of performance and style but that is not conveyed when viewing its lackluster stock intake system. In stock trim, the M340i comes with a dry and lifeless air box housing a basic panel filter that is also accompanied by an intake resonator whose job it is to eliminate turbo/intake noises. The same noises that those in the performance world relish. Essentially BMW has seen fit to give M340i owners an air box that looks uninspiring, flows adequately but not ideally, and emits no noise. The exact opposite of what the platform exudes otherwise. The Dinan carbon fiber intake for the platform rights these wrongs and delivers a semi-open intake capable of flowing 58% more air than the stock system resulting in additional top end power and increased throttle response. At the same time revealing a more aggressive, sporty carbon fiber appearance, and an increase in sound courtesy of the removal of the intake resonator and implementation of a semi-open design.

In order to achieve the gains in flow that set the Dinan intake system apart, the entire lower box of the system, and not just the lid, has been reworked and enlarged in an effort to make use of as much of the available real estate as possible within the engine bay. In turn, this allows a 40% larger, custom, free flowing filter to be housed within and maximum flow to be realized. However, a secondary inlet has always been desired by Dinan in order to effectively fill the volume of the enlarged air box and increased filter surface area. This desire led to a multitude of experiments being conducted on the effectiveness of a possible open-air inlet in the system. With different shapes, locations, and sizes of openings being tested, the goal was to ensure that the added secondary inlet did not cause any unwarranted side effects such as an increase in air temps in the system. This is commonplace with open-air intake systems where overheated engine bay air is employed in the intake tract. The results of these tests showed that the patterned openings present in the final iteration of the box located on the opposite side from the engine provided a perfect balance of additional volume to assist the factory inlet. All the while not causing an increase in turbo inlet temperatures. This was the case regardless of testing conditions (single/multiple gear pulls, constant speed, 0-100mph runs, etc.).

With more air being pulled into the system, throttle response is improved and additional power is realized in the form of max gains of +9 WHP / +8 ft-lbs of torque. The secondary air inlets also allow the intake system to be more audible so the turbo spool and BOV can be appreciated. A stark difference from Dinan's traditional fully sealed systems where induction noise is not nearly as recognizable. Not to be outdone by the increased power and sound, the outwardly visible system is made of immaculate carbon fiber so the under the hood appeal is vastly improved over its drab and utilitarian beginnings. A worthy piece to add to an already impressive vehicle.

Features/Benefits:
  • More Power: Max gains of 9 WHP and 8 lb-ft of torque @ 6500 RPM on a completely stock vehicle.
  • Enjoyably louder, sportier sound.
  • Improved throttle response.
  • Outflows factory intake by 58% or more.
  • Larger volume air box (60% larger than stock).
  • 40% increase in filter area (stock: 82 in², Dinan: 115 in²) for optimum flow.
  • Quick and easy installation.

Attachment 2524810
Attachment 2524817
Attachment 2524816
Attachment 2524811
Attachment 2524812
Attachment 2524813
Attachment 2524814
Attachment 2524815
I was going to buy this but my shop which is doing the work said it's causing check engine lights to come on. Why is this or is it true. They recommended me staying with stock intake
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #54
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrytarg6_m340 View Post
I was going to buy this but my shop which is doing the work said it's causing check engine lights to come on. Why is this or is it true. They recommended me staying with stock intake
That would be news to us. We have zero support tickets in on the product since launch and the handful of test mules haven't had any issues the entire course of validation (last few months). What dealer is this?

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 02-22-2021 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 10:46 AM   #55
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrytarg6_m340 View Post
With how new the product is, I would be surprised if your shop has actually installed any. Sounds like BS to me.
Appreciate 5
      02-21-2021, 12:45 AM   #56
SuprBmwG20
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw G20 M340i

Looking forward to purchasing this intake. However, I have the oem Z4 strut bar. Would it be a while until you guys make a new lid that supports the strut bar?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:17 AM   #57
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprBmwG20 View Post
Looking forward to purchasing this intake. However, I have the oem Z4 strut bar. Would it be a while until you guys make a new lid that supports the strut bar?
Strut bar compatible lid (M440i kit essentially) is in development but is still a ways out unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #58
russell21
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 440i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuprBmwG20 View Post
Strut bar compatible lid (M440i kit essentially) is in development but is still a ways out unfortunately.
Hurry up I need one lol
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2021, 10:09 AM   #59
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Packaged very nicely 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ninja View Post

No impressions on driving yet, but looks nice 😎
Looks great!!

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 10:10 AM   #60
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That would be news to us. We have zero support tickets in on the product since launch and the handful of test mules haven't had any issues the entire course of validation (last few months). What dealer is this?
+1 no issues reported for us either

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #61
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Finally installed mine. Going to run some errands and see how it sounds.

Post some feedback later.
Appreciate 1
njfoses288.00
      03-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #62
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Finally installed mine. Going to run some errands and see how it sounds.

Post some feedback later.
Well?

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #63
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well?
Rumor has it he's still driving... its that good.
Appreciate 4
      03-01-2021, 03:20 PM   #64
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Well?
Rumor has it he's still driving... its that good.
Oh, I've been zooming around! Lol

Well to be honest, my review is mixed.

I wanted to drive around a few days before I shared my thoughts. The last 2 days have finally been nice enough to have windows down so I can listen.

First off, the build and carbon fiber bits are top notch. This intake looks absolutely amazing. Installation is a breeze! (Once you know how to handle the crimp style clamp on the intake inlet ) stupid crimp!

Now the big question I know you're all wondering....how does it sound? In one word my overall impression is meh. I honestly expected to hear some whooshing sounds like in the video but I'm not hearing that at all from the cabin. Even when I had it parked in the garage running and had my teenager who btw loved every minute of hammering on the accelerator, I could only hear a slight difference. My car lives in Sport+ so when flying around town you can't really hear much. Or at least I didn't. Tbh, all I heard were the burbles and pops from my MPE.

I'm guessing a microphone was used in the engine bay for the demo video which accompanied the Dinan release.

We have some spring like weather this week so a friend and I are going to record some drive by video to see how that intake sounds. Maybe you hear more as a bystander along the road vs in the cabin.

Overall I am happy with my purchase as I love the carbon fiber bits and what not. Plus it looks really good in there. Total eye candy!

Oh, and as far as my butt dino, it felt faster up top but then again, everybody's butt dino measures differently. Lol
Appreciate 3
      03-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #65
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I wanted to drive around a few days before I shared my thoughts. The last 2 days have finally been nice enough to have windows down so I can listen.

First off, the build and carbon fiber bits are top notch. This intake looks absolutely amazing. Installation is a breeze! (Once you know how to handle the crimp style clamp on the intake inlet ) stupid crimp!

Now the big question I know you're all wondering....how does it sound? In one word my overall impression is meh. I honestly expected to hear some whooshing sounds like in the video but I'm not hearing that at all from the cabin. Even when I had it parked in the garage running and had my teenager who btw loved every minute of hammering on the accelerator, I could only hear a slight difference. My car lives in Sport+ so when flying around town you can't really hear much. Or at least I didn't. Tbh, all I heard were the burbles and pops from my MPE.

I'm guessing a microphone was used in the engine bay for the demo video which accompanied the Dinan release.

We have some spring like weather this week so a friend and I are going to record some drive by video to see how that intake sounds. Maybe you hear more as a bystander along the road vs in the cabin.

Overall I am happy with my purchase as I love the carbon fiber bits and what not. Plus it looks really good in there. Total eye candy!

Oh, and as far as my butt dino, it felt faster up top but then again, everybody's butt dino measures differently. Lol
Honest review. I'll take it.

Glad you (and your son) have gotten some enjoyment out of it and are generally happy with the purchase.

As far as sound goes -- late model BMW's are insulated all to hell so cabin sound is always difficult. Its a bit easier to notice outside but a fully open intake is always going to give you the most potential sound for sure. So if sound is the primary reason for getting an intake then yes, there are other paths that are more conducive to that.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 03:59 PM   #66
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'll add on to this since I also have the intake installed.

I agree the build quality is great, also want to note the great customer service I received from Dinan when I had the hardware kit missing (this was previously mentioned).

Installation was super easy, agreed with the clamp being the most tedious part.

Sound wise, I wasn't expecting to hear much (already have a evolution raceworks DP installed), however, I didn't buy this item for sound.

Performance wise, I do "feel" an increase in throttle response over stock. The car loves it and I'm loving it.

Matched with my other supporting mods, I'm happy with my purchase.

Forgot to mention that I am also tuned on Carbahn Stg1.

Last edited by m340ninja; 03-01-2021 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 3