Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Mission Performance Presenting: World's First '21 DME Unlock paired with new Platform

Closed Thread

09-10-2021, 11:41 PM   #221
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronttwelv View Post
Bump!
Edit: It IS September now…

Side note, the m340s are dipping into the $40ks now. I'm getting itchy to buy and pop and tune onto it.
Buy a MY19 or 20 and you're set already. Not sure where you're seeing a MY21/22 for 40k, I've been offered 5k more than I paid for mine. With the shortages in all sectors re-sale prices, even on used cars, are ridiculous, if you can find a MY21 for 40k you're wasting time not buying it immediately

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 07:51 AM   #222
carguy19
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340

Hopefully they release or have an update soon. I am ready as well to tune my 2021.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #223
Fronttwelv
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 328i xdrive msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
Quote:
Bump!

Side note, the m340s are dipping into the $40ks now. I'm getting itchy to buy and pop and tune onto it.
Buy a MY19 or 20 and you're set already. Not sure where you're seeing a MY21/22 for 40k, I've been offered 5k more than I paid for mine. With the shortages in all sectors re-sale prices, even on used cars, are ridiculous, if you can find a MY21 for 40k you're wasting time not buying it immediately
I'm under the assumption if I buy a CPO they will have the newest bmw software. Which means it will be locked for tuning. But I'm searching for a white on cognac 2020
      09-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #224
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Quote:
I'm under the assumption if I buy a CPO they will have the newest bmw software. Which means it will be locked for tuning. But I'm searching for a white on cognac 2020
That actually won't matter. Here is why.

It's all about your production build date of the entire car.

Now, when they grab DMEs (ECUs) off the shelf on the production line at the BMW factories around the world, they have all been updated to latest Bosch supplier bootloader version 04.00.03 (for Infineon Tricore Aurix chips, not sure the number for MPC577x processors). This is the version where Bosch changed 3 lines of code compared to their last version to actually validate a certain state machine instead of letting it be called without digital signature verification and closed out the entire tuning world (MB + VAG + BMW + more)

However, before 07/2020, they were all 04.00.01. 04.00.01 has multiple massive security flaws in it that will always allow it to be "bench unlocked". You can do whatever you want to a 04.00.01 ECU because it has "unsigned code write + execution" vulnerability, so tuning companies use this to apply CBOOT patches that turn off signature checks (bench unlock that allows followup OBD flashing) permanently

Here's the good news for you:

SBOOT (supplier boot) is one-time flash as far as BMW is concerned. Once it leaves the factory, there is no way to update it at the dealer (OBD) or OTA (over the air). If your ECU left the factory with 04.00.01, it will always be bench-able (and therefore unlockable/tunable) for its entire life, no matter what you do at the dealer/iStep over-the-air update wise. Get locked out OBD wise through some update? Just bench in a CBOOT patch defeating signatures going forward.

CBOOT (customer boot)? Yes. BMW is the "customer" of Bosch MD1/MG1 ECU wise in this context and they write their own bootloader to their own spec with their own digital signature verification and all sorts of other crap. MB + VAG also write their own, overall the same but slightly different (which is why some 2021 German MG1 cars can be OBD'd and some can't). That will be dealer updated/OTA updated. That's why 2019 cars require a bench unlock (can't be OBD'd, the CBOOT gets updated to the latest one without any security flaws in it). Alex here at Mission most likely found a CBOOT vulnerability that allows him to defeat the digital signature enforcement required to flash for the latest BTLD versions BMW is offering, or he cloned the ISN (immobilizer serial number, without this the car will not start if you mix and match older versions of ECUs onto a newer car, etc.) out of the original ECU (still very hard, you need to read it from EEPROM or figure it out from EGS/FEM/BDC) and put it into a clone, older, bench-able (04.00.01) ECU and is being slightly disingenuous in the video.

but SBOOT, dealer can't update

Also, to the guy saying RKTunes is the first or whatever... they're wholesaling Femto (Mission's competitor) https://www.instagram.com/femtoevo/ That's what all tuners offering 2021 tuning are offering now because it's literally the only option on the planet.

You need to mail the ECU to St. Petersburg, Russia (because they don't want to be sniffed because if BMW sees what they are doing, they'll issue 2 CBOOT updates (MPC + IFX) and the hole will be closed and then we will really be out of luck as enthusiasts)

the worst part, they don't send the ECU back "unlocked"

aka if your tuner is trying to dial in your stage 2 tune... he can't make revisions. he has to mail it back to Russia again, lol

I have full faith Mission will release a "mail in" bench unlock solution. When? I have no clue. He'd be a fool not to. You're talking a lot of upside money wise and not a lot of downside (unless he's worried about legal repercussions from being the only person in America to offer something that defeats BMW's very intentional security and is linked to the tuning the EPA is cracking down on...)

Last edited by MuffinFlavored; 09-11-2021 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 3
MR RIZK757.50
Ibiza3611.50
      09-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #225
Fronttwelv
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
Quote:

Now, when they grab DMEs (ECUs) off the shelf on the production line at the BMW factories around the world, they have all been updated to latest Bosch supplier bootloader version 04.00.03 (for Infineon Tricore Aurix chips, not sure the number for MPC577x processors). This is the version where Bosch changed 3 lines of code compared to their last version to actually validate a certain state machine instead of letting it be called without digital signature verification and closed out the entire tuning world (MB + VAG + BMW + more)

However, before 07/2020, they were all 04.00.01. 04.00.01 has multiple massive security flaws in it that will always allow it to be "bench unlocked". You can do whatever you want to a 04.00.01 ECU because it has "unsigned code write + execution" vulnerability, so tuning companies use this to apply CBOOT patches that turn off signature checks (bench unlock that allows followup OBD flashing) permanently

Also, BMW's very intentional security and is linked to the tuning the EPA is cracking down on...)
In Lehman's terms please.

What if I get a bench unlock and take it in for service and they do a software update?

What if I just want to do the whole process of unlock and tune in my own garage? Will I need to wait it out?
      09-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #226
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also, BMW's very intentional security and is linked to the tuning the EPA is cracking down on...)

What if I get a bench unlock and take it in for service and they do a software update?

What if I just want to do the whole process of unlock and tune in my own garage? Will I need to wait it out?
Basically the 19s and 20s are not permanently locked and can always be benched unlocked if bmw was to remote update the car or the dealer updated the car. The new 21s have a new way of locking the ecu but this update can't be applied to older models.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #227
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

"wait it out in your garage"

No. Nobody is putting effort into cracking 2019-2020 BMW CBOOT when they know you can just mail the ECU in and bench it. You have no idea how difficult it is to find an exploit of this kind. You're talking 18 months of RnD+, per version. Every car has a different BTLD. Some have IFX processors, some have MPC. Totally different. Literally 2 companies can do it in the world: Femto + Mission. And guess what? They aren't releasing anything other than "mail us your ECU" because they don't want their intellectual property stolen. For good reason. Only 2 companies on the planet (try to fathom how big the GLOBAL BMW tuning market is...) that can tune these cars.

Buy a pre-07/2020, mail your ECU in for bench unlock to bootmod3, turn off "over the air" updates and don't go to the dealer. The end.

It's a very solved problem. Not to be rude but you aren't special. Think of how many ECUs they are tuning a week...
Appreciate 3
jalkster220.00
Ibiza3611.50
      09-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #228
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectme View Post
2022 m340 here ready to get a tune today. Looking forward to the release!!
Go through Femto for a tune on your 2022. I believe Mission is not working on anything.
Attached Images

09-15-2021, 05:16 PM   #229
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep

FYI I was wrong. Femto has announced here they are offering OBD unlock, meaning you only send the ECU once to Russia. After that, tunable forever.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 07:38 PM   #230
Fronttwelv
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FYI I was wrong. Femto has announced here they are offering OBD unlock, meaning you only send the ECU once to Russia. After that, tunable forever.
Ohh that's all. Just send your ECU to Russia. I can't imagine doing this just to get a tune. Aye
      09-15-2021, 09:09 PM   #231
PrezRoosevelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Rwd

Quote:
Ohh that's all. Just send your ECU to Russia. I can't imagine doing this just to get a tune. Aye
Seems very silly, have your car out of commission for x days/weeks. Send it to people in Russia you have no direct connection or contact with. I also don't like that they feel the need to post in a well known tuner's thread instead of making their own topic. If it had merit and enough traction on their own, shouldn't need to cling to a competitor.

Previous Car: BMW 2018 i3 Fluid Black with BMW i Frozen Blue accent

Previous Car: BMW 2015 328i Mineral Grey

Last edited by PrezRoosevelt; 09-15-2021 at 09:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:46 AM   #232
thewusman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive - Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezRoosevelt View Post
Seems very silly, have your car out of commission for x days/weeks. Send it to people in Russia you have no direct connection or contact with. I also don't like that they feel the need to post in a well known tuner's thread instead of making their own topic. If it had merit and enough traction on their own, shouldn't need to cling to a competitor.
What could possibly go wrong ...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #233
femtoevo
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5/G05

Quote:
Hi, this is our first and the last post in this thread.
First of all - *every* question asked via our instagram is answered within minutes, just try to ask and find it out by yourself.
Secondly - we have enough merit and enough traction on our own, we have only 1 (this) reply in this post made by us. We have not asked anyone to promote us here.
Thirdly - we've filed "Advertise on bimmerpost" requests multiple times already - no answer at all. Please scroll back this thread and find a very friendly hint that the topic starter can ban anyone from this forum, we suppose we haven't get answered by forum admins because of him.
So please sum everything stated above and create your own opinion again.
We beleive that our account will be banned again (nobody loves competitors), so you and all of the forum members are welcome at our instagram.
Thanks for reading, with best regards, femtoevo team.
Appreciate 8
Holset272.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
rdriggett129.00
SDKevin85.00
Ibiza3611.50
f82fanatic1043.00
FSociety3812.50
simzep0.00
      09-16-2021, 11:04 AM   #234
Odinsrighthand
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, G80 M3C

If mission had anything it would be made public by now. Every tuner is using Femtoevo to unlock their ECU's, in my opinion that's the only real solution right now. Maybe mission feels they could steal that process while crying wolf about people stealing theirs.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      09-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #235
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

I'm just over here waiting to be able to tune the '21+ without voiding warranty haha
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #236
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by femtoevo View Post
Quote:
Hi, this is our first and the last post in this thread.
First of all - *every* question asked via our instagram is answered within minutes, just try to ask and find it out by yourself.
Secondly - we have enough merit and enough traction on our own, we have only 1 (this) reply in this post made by us. We have not asked anyone to promote us here.
Thirdly - we've filed "Advertise on bimmerpost" requests multiple times already - no answer at all. Please scroll back this thread and find a very friendly hint that the topic starter can ban anyone from this forum, we suppose we haven't get answered by forum admins because of him.
So please sum everything stated above and create your own opinion again.
We beleive that our account will be banned again (nobody loves competitors), so you and all of the forum members are welcome at our instagram.
Thanks for reading, with best regards, femtoevo team.
Thanks guys and great work !!!
Will be in touch soon.
FSociety3812.50
      09-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #237
brwnbo1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive Blk

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrichierich View Post
I'm just over here waiting to be able to tune the '21+ without voiding warranty haha
Same here man. I think we're both going to have to forget about the warranty though
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 04:52 PM   #238
Wht340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnbo1 View Post
Same here man. I think we're both going to have to forget about the warranty though
If you’re worried about warranty I wouldn’t take the risk. They will know it was flashed.
Appreciate 2
jalkster220.00
siegester344.50
      09-16-2021, 07:05 PM   #239
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bump!

I just got a 2020 M340i and the BMW CPO dealer said they got an email from bmw to update all dme's before doing a car delivery. Mine has be the newest update so is now locked
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2021, 10:55 AM   #240
Musaabi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwrock View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bump!

I just got a 2020 M340i and the BMW CPO dealer said they got an email from bmw to update all dme's before doing a car delivery. Mine has be the newest update so is now locked
You can bench unlock at your tuner.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #241
itsrichierich
Moto Lover
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnbo1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wht340i View Post
If you’re worried about warranty I wouldn’t take the risk. They will know it was flashed.
Yea I won't take the risk, but I have a feeling someone will figure out how to backdoor the main frame or whatever the tech lingo is
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:54 AM   #242
LongBeachDinanFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Does this work on the new locked M3 also?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread