Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Autohold - do you use it?

10-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #45
Elliston
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series M Sport

Only just turned it on after reading this post.

Quite clever how pressure on the brake can hold and allow you to roll, or a little more will engage the park break.

Leaving mine on for now!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #46
SportySpice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Use it rarely and turn it off immediately when I do. I'm resistant to change.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #47
BennyDunks
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Such a marmite topic, love it!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:46 PM   #48
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Thanks for all the replies Chaps. I might summarize as not unanimous!

Nobody has particularly commented on my issue with take off being a bit jerky. For the 330i owners in particular do you ever feel this? xenon stu14t Colliwobbles SilverGrey OM3RTA

Edit - I guess the best way to explain what I mean by jerky is that the brake seems to release a fraction too late when the car tries to move.
As HighlandPete has said a bit of "clutch control" is the best way of getting used to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 03:46 PM   #49
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Quote:

Nobody has particularly commented on my issue with take off being a bit jerky. For the 330i owners in particular do you ever feel this? xenon stu14t Colliwobbles SilverGrey OM3RTA

Edit - I guess the best way to explain what I mean by jerky is that the brake seems to release a fraction too late when the car tries to move.
As HighlandPete has said a bit of "clutch control" is the best way of getting used to it.
At the risk of sounding stupid can you be a bit more specific about what that actually means?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #50
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
At the risk of sounding stupid can you be a bit more specific about what that actually means?
My original comment, was in the context of jerkiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
.... "Jerkiness", some of that is operator influenced. Think "clutch control", that may help.
Even with AT, sensitivities with throttle application may be all that is required to smooth out pick up.

Remember the "kangaroo starts" with poor clutch and throttle coordination? Jabbing the throttle with AT, can be part of the pick up issue.

Why do I say this? I've sat with drivers who have no idea how to work "with" AT. Clumsy foot work and then wonder why the AT isn't smooth and responsive. Same can happen with DSG setups, as our slush box AT.

Add in Auto Hold and that's another area which benefits from smooth coordination.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 04:08 AM   #51
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Quote:

For me it is totally unnoticeable. There is no jerky movement but I have a habit of just tapping the throttle to get the engine running to defeat the start/stop. I'm not sure if that does something.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 06:45 AM   #52
Mugspence
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (G21) XdriveTouring

It is absolutely fantastic - especially in full electric mode around town.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 07:07 AM   #53
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t View Post
For me it is totally unnoticeable. There is no jerky movement but I have a habit of just tapping the throttle to get the engine running to defeat the start/stop. I'm not sure if that does something.
Defeating the start/stop will prevent the slight 'rock' you get from the engine turning over but I suspect will not really affect the jerkiness when moving off. Like Highland Pete mentioned earlier I reckon it's more down to gentle pedal control, 'feathering the throttle' if you like.
The same goes when braking to a stop to avoid the final 'jerk' as you pull up, not that easy to perfect in an auto though and far easier to achieve in a manual gearbox car. Same principle in essence!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #54
stu14t
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 330i MSport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
The same goes when braking to a stop to avoid the final 'jerk' as you pull up, not that easy to perfect in an auto though and far easier to achieve in a manual gearbox car. Same principle in essence!
This is a must for me and I'm still perfecting it in the G20. The F30 was heavier and I've not quite perfected the smooth stop, much to the annoyance of the wife.
Gone - 2012 F30 320 ED
Gone - 2011 E87 118d
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 07:41 AM   #55
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu14t View Post
This is a must for me and I'm still perfecting it in the G20. The F30 was heavier and I've not quite perfected the smooth stop, much to the annoyance of the wife.
I did a 5 day driving contract for Rolls Royce at the 2015 Goodwood Festival of Speed and myself and the other 30 or so driver's had to attend a 'Training Day' at the factory beforehand.
We were instructed to drive 'the Rolls Royce way' with a client on board which entailed putting the autobox into neutral just before coming to a halt and then feathering the brake! Being that we were all advanced class drivers it seemed somewhat counter intuitive, my advanced instructor back in the day would have blocked me rigid for doing that, namely not having the car 'under power' !!! Having said that look what the MHT engine cars do now, how times have changed!!!
Appreciate 1
stu14t450.50
      01-04-2022, 05:02 PM   #56
Jono_BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 Series 320d G20

I think this is a great feature and I can't see a time when I'll switch it off. I can't stand it when people sit in traffic with their foot on the brake (especially at night), so I don't want to be one of 'those' people.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 05:24 PM   #57
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono_BMW View Post
I think this is a great feature and I can't see a time when I'll switch it off. I can't stand it when people sit in traffic with their foot on the brake (especially at night), so I don't want to be one of 'those' people.
When you say "one of 'those' people" am I right in assuming because of the constant glare from the brake lights?
......you do know the brake lights remain illuminated when you're on 'Auto hold' ?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 06:46 PM   #58
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
When you say "one of 'those' people" am I right in assuming because of the constant glare from the brake lights?
......you do know the brake lights remain illuminated when you're on 'Auto hold' ?

I'm not too concerned about the people behind me TBH only the idiots in front who are dazzling me with their brake lights.

Of course, we could all hit P and turn the brake lights off. IIRC, my old E61 was a fair bit easier to get into P as the button was located in a better spot.
      01-05-2022, 02:52 AM   #59
Ross_
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

I keep mine on, although as everyone else said trying to just edge a tiny but closer to a wall or to a car behind I disable it as find you can't just move 30cm or so easily, would be too worried about hitting whatever it was.

The only thing I find is, I really struggle to stop without it engaging, you must have to touch the brake like a ballerina... I often try to not engage it but seems to always come on even with me being as gentle as possible - am I the only one?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:34 AM   #60
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross_ View Post
The only thing I find is, I really struggle to stop without it engaging, you must have to touch the brake like a ballerina... I often try to not engage it but seems to always come on even with me being as gentle as possible - am I the only one?
You are not the only one. In my car it's more to do with the time delay you are stationary rather than braking force applied. I used to believe that it's all about how hard you press the brake pedal but after 2 years of using it I can say it's definitely not the case in my G20.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 03:45 AM   #61
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono_BMW View Post
Am I alone in putting the car in neutral and applying the handbrake when stationery in traffic? Had my G21 for over 18 months and to be honest wouldn't even know how to activate auto hold - seems like totally pointless tech to me (especially in an automatic) so what benefit do people think it gives?
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 03:53 AM   #62
4monks
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive MHT G20

It saves you putting in neutral and putting the handbrake on every time you stop. You don't need to keep your foot on the brake once stopped. Each to their own as always but for me, it's an ideal companion to an automatic.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 04:58 AM   #63
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
It saves you putting in neutral and putting the handbrake on every time you stop. You don't need to keep your foot on the brake once stopped. Each to their own as always but for me, it's an ideal companion to an automatic.
Same for me. Prefer it to the (older) VW auto we have. Just wish it didn't keep the brake lights on whilst on auto hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
I used to believe that it's all about how hard you press the brake pedal but after 2 years of using it I can say it's definitely not the case in my G20.
For me, it is down to pressure applied. If I stop using gentle braking, I can sit there for ages without it engaging. If I then squeeze the pedal a little harder, it turns on.
bmnut813.50
      01-05-2022, 05:31 AM   #64
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Same for me. Prefer it to the (older) VW auto we have. Just wish it didn't keep the brake lights on whilst on auto hold.

For me, it is down to pressure applied. If I stop using gentle braking, I can sit there for ages without it engaging. If I then squeeze the pedal a little harder, it turns on.
I'm with you on both the above!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 05:40 AM   #65
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monks View Post
But if part of the reason for putting the car in neutral and applying the handbrake is to avoid dazzling those behind - which it certainly is in my case - then as I understand it auto hold's no better in that respect than holding the car on the foot brake?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 05:43 AM   #66
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
I would prefer it that way. Maybe my is faulty. Its definitely time delay in my case. I can barely touch the brake pedal and come to a stop extremely slowly and after split second it engages. Saying that, I'm still 100% team auto hold
Appreciate 0