4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Oil Catch Can on 330i

11-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
Jamers2021
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xDrive

Oil Catch Can on 330i

Just installed the Mishimoto Oil Catch Can Kit Model: MMBCC-N54-06CBE2 on my 2021 330i. Currently on sale for $197

After researching, I found this to be the best Catch Can since it has the larger 3/4" inlet and outlet as to not restrict airflow. Mishimoto does not sell a kit specifically for the 330i but all of the kits are basically the same with the exception of the hoses and mounting brackets (different lengths and shapes). Also, this particular kit has a hose with a 180 degree bend at one end which worked out perfect since I cut it to be about a 45 degree bend and put it on the Catch Can Inlet. The hose now makes a natural bend downward into the engine.

I had to use my grinding wheel to cut and grind the mounting bracket to fit as desired. For mounting the bracket, I removed the plastic screw base and inserted a 1.5" bolt with washer and nut to tighten down it down much more securely than just reusing the factory screw and plastic base.

I also had to redrill 3 holes in the top of the bracket where it attaches to the Catch Can so it had the desired orientation. I repainted the bracket after I had it grinded, drilled and ready.

For some reason this kit didn't come with any Worm Gear Clamps so I picked up a pair of 1/2-1 1/4 size clamps from Autozone. I didn't clamp the hose ends on the engine side connectors as they are impossible to pull off once pushed on. Mishimoto does make Black worm gear clamps which I plan to get from Amazon to replace these silver ones. They are sold in a 10 pack (Model MMCLAMP-WG-44HTBK) for $10. I'll probably go ahead an put clamps on both ends of the hose then just for the peace of mind.

It was necessary to use my Dremel tool to put a small cut out in the engine cover. It looks stock in my opinion.

I'll report back in a couple months to let you know how much oil the can traps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jamers2021; 11-03-2021 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 3
helmet91277.00
greekcs773.00
selbyp93163.50
      01-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #2
MishkoBatchi
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Catch Can for G20

Looks great! I have a 2020 330i and have been thinking about installing a catch can in mine too. The only thing holding me back is reading that the B48 engine really doesn't have much blow off, mostly due to advances in technology, design and engineering. I figure the proof would be in the pudding, and wanted to ask if you've noticed any benefit since your install. I'm also dying to know if you're collecting anything in the can, and would love to see pictures. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
valeman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 2021

update

Hi, is there an update for this post? I'm reading about the importance of this but haven't really seen anyone post updates of what this can is collecting or how much. I have a 2021 330i myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 08:20 PM   #4
shuencl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 230i x drive

any update?
Appreciate 0