2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Tyre Wear

12-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #1
Makefish
Ex Moddy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Tyre Wear

I'm experiencing what I consider to be excessive tyre wear with my M340i Touring, after less than 6,000 miles my front tyres are down to 4.5mm and the rears to 2.5mm.

Anyone else experiencing similar levels of wear or do I have to put it down to my driving style!
X5 45e in Arctic Grey with Merino Leather, Technology Plus Pack, Comfort Pack, M Sport Pro Pack, Shadow Line Pack, Sky Lounge, Acoustic Glass, Tow Bar, Sun Protection Glass, Sky Lounge, Carbon Mirror Caps and Laser Lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

Yeh, happened on my car. Changed them at 7000miles. Changed them all out for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (non run flat, not star marked). Transformed the car.

Car has now done 20000, and the Michelins are fine. No rapid wear.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefish View Post
I'm experiencing what I consider to be excessive tyre wear with my M340i Touring, after less than 6,000 miles my front tyres are down to 4.5mm and the rears to 2.5mm.

Anyone else experiencing similar levels of wear or do I have to put it down to my driving style!
What is your driving style? Driving conditions and mpg also give clues to whether wear is excessive.

BTW, what tyres are you running?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 01:25 AM   #4
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makefish View Post

That sounds like quite heavy wear to me - my car's done just over 8k miles and still has around 6mm of tread on both the front and rear tyres.

As has been said, how and where you drive will make a big difference but you must be giving it plenty to have done a set of rears in only 6k miles! And interesting you've experienced a difference in wear front to rear - all four tyres have worn quite evenly on both the X-drives I've had despite the system being RWD biased....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 01:52 AM   #5
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew474 View Post
Yeh, happened on my car. Changed them at 7000miles. Changed them all out for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (non run flat, not star marked). Transformed the car.

Car has now done 20000, and the Michelins are fine. No rapid wear.
What are you doing for emergency flat tyre provision? Sealant or just relying on breakdown cover? I'd like to go this route when the time comes but worry about flats
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 02:48 AM   #6
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
What are you doing for emergency flat tyre provision? Sealant or just relying on breakdown cover? I'd like to go this route when the time comes but worry about flats
On previous BMW's that came with run-flats I've always put a Mobility Kit in the boot when I've changed to conventional tyres (so a compressor and sealant like you get with an M-car). Thankfully never needed to use one though!
Appreciate 0