Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2021 bmw 330i resonator delete problem

12-01-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Sunsets
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2021 BMW 330I  [0.00]
2021 bmw 330i resonator delete problem

Hi all, today I tried going to my local muffler shop that I usually go to for everything related to exhaust work. Well today I took my new car over to him to try to get my resonator removed in place of a straight pipe. However he called me midway through and told me he wasn’t going to be able to do anything because of the shape of the pipe. I suppose it’s best described as an oval shape. I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this problem? What was the workaround? See below photo for the exhaust resonator I was trying to remove.
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Sunsets; 12-01-2021 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: photo
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:17 PM   #2
Loganakers1512
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i M-Sport

The resonator should be regular pipe. That looks to be the OPF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 12:29 AM   #3
Cityofangeles323
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Find another muffler shop lol. That in fact is the resonator with a secondary cat. The muffler shop I normally go to wouldn't touch it. Apparently it's illegal to mess with cats in California. Took it to another shop and paid double, and they were able to do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:19 AM   #4
djmrowka
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 2019 330i

You have OPF in this pipe...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:19 PM   #5
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

You just have to find a muffler shop that can do the job, I had to go to 3 different ones until I found the right one that knows how to do it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 04:01 AM   #6
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Just delete the 2nd cat with it, you won’t be disappointed. Sounds just right. If you’re worried about the smell, you shouldn’t be thinking about cutting up your exhaust in the first place. Just go aftermarket exhaust in this case..

My 330i is full catless setup with straight pipe from primary cat back and a vibrant resonator, with OEM mufflers. Car sounds beautiful, no drone at any RPM. Pops are still gunshot loud on AGG Stage 2 map, very tame on Stage 2 non AGG.

Only thing is the smell, but that is only if stopped with AC on auto.. But I can deal with that
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2022, 10:04 PM   #7
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Just delete the 2nd cat with it, you won’t be disappointed. Sounds just right. If you’re worried about the smell, you shouldn’t be thinking about cutting up your exhaust in the first place. Just go aftermarket exhaust in this case..

My 330i is full catless setup with straight pipe from primary cat back and a vibrant resonator, with OEM mufflers. Car sounds beautiful, no drone at any RPM. Pops are still gunshot loud on AGG Stage 2 map, very tame on Stage 2 non AGG.

Only thing is the smell, but that is only if stopped with AC on auto.. But I can deal with that
I got rid of the box in the center and have the valve open at all time but needs a little more, thinking of going cattless down pipe.

Do you know if Bimmercode will clear cel?
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #8
Jtw318
Private
Rep
Drives: Possibly G20 330i Xdrive

Quote:

Do you have any sound clips by any chance? I am trying to look at other options before I spend $4100 Cdn on Fi or trix…
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 03:21 AM   #9
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtw318 View Post
Quote:
Just delete the 2nd cat with it, you won't be disappointed. Sounds just right. If you're worried about the smell, you shouldn't be thinking about cutting up your exhaust in the first place. Just go aftermarket exhaust in this case..

Do you have any sound clips by any chance? I am trying to look at other options before I spend $4100 Cdn on Fi or trix…
I'll try to get some for you, but it isn't really much to write home about. Basically sounds very tame (low throttle) from 1-3k RPMs, anything after 3k RPMs the car wakes up and volume progressively gets louder and louder as you hit red line.

It's pretty much like how your car sounds with the active sound, except that's actually how your car sounds on the outside, but with interior active sound coded off. This is the best way I can put it in words.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 03:23 AM   #10
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICG20M View Post
Quote:
Just delete the 2nd cat with it, you won't be disappointed. Sounds just right. If you're worried about the smell, you shouldn't be thinking about cutting up your exhaust in the first place. Just go aftermarket exhaust in this case..

I got rid of the box in the center and have the valve open at all time but needs a little more, thinking of going cattless down pipe.

Do you know if Bimmercode will clear cel?
Bimmercode can't and won't clear CEL, only JB4 or Bootmod3 can do that. However the CEL as a result of a catless downpipe will not affect drivability or throw the car into limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 05:20 PM   #11
VICG20M
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Bimmercode can't and won't clear CEL, only JB4 or Bootmod3 can do that. However the CEL as a result of a catless downpipe will not affect drivability or throw the car into limp mode.
Thats what I thought too, bimmer link says it can clear CEL I think I will go with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 06:59 PM   #12
Jtw318
Private
Rep
Drives: Possibly G20 330i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'll try to get some for you, but it isn't really much to write home about. Basically sounds very tame (low throttle) from 1-3k RPMs, anything after 3k RPMs the car wakes up and volume progressively gets louder and louder as you hit red line.

It's pretty much like how your car sounds with the active sound, except that's actually how your car sounds on the outside, but with interior active sound coded off. This is the best way I can put it in words.
Awesome, thank you.

I am hoping Dinan comes out with something this year.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 10:20 AM   #13
a-socal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330I xDrive

Quote:

Can I ask what is a "vibrant resonator" I'm looking to do a res delete and a dp after my tune gets dialed in.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:19 PM   #14
bbbbadfish
Rep
Drives: G20 330e - M-Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 420D  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-socal View Post
Can I ask what is a "vibrant resonator" I'm looking to do a res delete and a dp after my tune gets dialed in.
Wondering the same. Got OPF and rear muffler delete and drone is terrible..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 09:49 PM   #15
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbadfish View Post
Wondering the same. Got OPF and rear muffler delete and drone is terrible..
It's a resonator made by Vibrant Performance, can find it on Amazon. They have many styles, all work the same essentially.

If you did a muffler delete, I'd put it back, just go 200cel catted downpipe and delete everything in between, put a Vibrant Performance resonator in place of the OEM resonator + second cat, keep OEM muffler..

Sounds pretty good. Additionally can go Magnaflow muffler setup, you definitely need some kind of proper muffler, you can't get rid of drone otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 12:48 PM   #16
chrish_22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:
Get the AWE exhaust!
Appreciate 0