Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340 vs Model 3 Performance

01-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #45
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

If Tesla didnt have the speed, they would not have been where they are today.

It was a very good marketing tool to get them noticed.

They literally had nothing else...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #46
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
If Tesla didnt have the speed, they would not have been where they are today.

It was a very good marketing tool to get them noticed.

They literally had nothing else...
To be fair they've always had the "range" which for most people is the most important thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 04:39 PM   #47
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
To be fair they've always had the "range" which for most people is the most important thing.
yah except their range is heavily inflated. In reality, Tesla's range is pretty much the same as their competitors'. But most of the buyers dont know that until they start questioning why they can't get anywhere close to the advertised range...

Other than their speed, their charging stations are probably the single most important advantage Tesla still has.

Other manuf. are all catching up on the acceleration and range game. I mean just make them heavier by adding more battery. That would pretty much solves both at the same time.

Now, let's see what they gonna do with the charging stations issue. That to me is the hardest part for others to catch up on because Tesla literally had a decade head start in that regard.
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      01-14-2022, 04:50 PM   #48
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
yah except their range is heavily inflated. In reality, Tesla's range is pretty much the same as their competitors'. But most of the buyers dont know that until they start questioning why they can't get anywhere close to the advertised range...

Other than their speed, their charging stations are probably the single most important advantage Tesla still has.

Other manuf. are all catching up on the acceleration and range game. I mean just make them heavier by adding more battery. That would pretty much solves both at the same time.

Now, let's see what they gonna do with the charging stations issue. That to me is the hardest part for others to catch up on because Tesla literally had a decade head start in that regard.
True and yeah, maybe the most important factor is the supercharger network Tesla has. Generally speaking the infrastructure is what drives everything. I still don't feel comfortable enough with the current infrastructure so that's another reason I'm willing to wait it out until a more robust charging network is more ubiquitous.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 04:58 PM   #49
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Yah i will keep driving ICE cars until they can charge from 0-90%+ around the same time as i fill up a full tank of gas right now.

and i expect the charging stations to be in every corner of the intersections just like gas stations. Then i will consider switching to EV.

As of right now, yes you can make it work as long as you can accept the inconvenience, small or big. But i have no interest in doing that.

I have friend who would tell me, oh it only takes about 10 mins to drive to a supercharging station. My reply is why do I want to drive 10 mins out of my way when there is a gas station across street from me? Then they would tell me how much $ they saved by not getting gas. My reply is if I wanted to save gas, i would have gotten a Prius.
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2022, 05:56 PM   #50
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Yah i will keep driving ICE cars until they can charge from 0-90%+ around the same time as i fill up a full tank of gas right now.

and i expect the charging stations to be in every corner of the intersections just like gas stations. Then i will consider switching to EV.

As of right now, yes you can make it work as long as you can accept the inconvenience, small or big. But i have no interest in doing that.

I have friend who would tell me, oh it only takes about 10 mins to drive to a supercharging station. My reply is why do I want to drive 10 mins out of my way when there is a gas station across street from me? Then they would tell me how much $ they saved by not getting gas. My reply is if I wanted to save gas, i would have gotten a Prius.
You also have the alternative to charge at home though (albeit slower, it's usually enough to get people to and from work).
      01-14-2022, 06:05 PM   #51
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
You also have the alternative to charge at home though (albeit slower, it's usually enough to get people to and from work).
My neighbor just paid about $2500 to run the line and stuff... i am not interested in doing that. I would rather spend $2500 on exhaust

Also charging at home does not provide solutions to when you need to charge when you are not at home like if you need to drive more than 200 miles or so.

I go to Vegas all the time, the luxury of living in so cal. I am not interested at all in stopping at Baker to use their charging station and wait for 30 mins to 1 hr depends on how many people there are. Then have to fight other people to find charging spot at the hotel parking structures and the night before departure to ensure i have enough charge to get to Baker again.

Like i said, it can be done. But i personally dont wanna deal with the hassle when i could just go in and out of gas station in 5 mins.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:24 PM   #52
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
My neighbor just paid about $2500 to run the line and stuff... i am not interested in doing that. I would rather spend $2500 on exhaust

Also charging at home does not provide solutions to when you need to charge when you are not at home like if you need to drive more than 200 miles or so.

I go to Vegas all the time, the luxury of living in so cal. I am not interested at all in stopping at Baker to use their charging station and wait for 30 mins to 1 hr depends on how many people there are. Then have to fight other people to find charging spot at the hotel parking structures and the night before departure to ensure i have enough charge to get to Baker again.

Like i said, it can be done. But i personally dont wanna deal with the hassle when i could just go in and out of gas station in 5 mins.
And that's why we're not the target market for the everyday EV.
      01-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #53
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
And that's why we're not the target market for the everyday EV.
Amen!! It's like the IS500 discussion lol, people buy what they like and speed alone isn't the primary factor. No matter how fast EV's can get to 60,1/4 mile etc I have no desire to own one.
      01-14-2022, 06:42 PM   #54
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

I think my next car is going to be an EV… not a Model 3, but a lot of EVs are coming out in the next 2 years. Let's see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:49 PM   #55
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
I think my next car is going to be an EV… not a Model 3, but a lot of EVs are coming out in the next 2 years. Let's see what happens.
I hear ya! not there yet maybe in some distant future, with time us laggards will adapt lol. I could see having an EV as a secondary car maybe when they're cheap but certainly no Tesla, don't like the brand.
      01-15-2022, 04:23 PM   #56
areohbeeM340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

The Model 3 Performance would cook our car. The Model 3 Long Range (Dual Motor) is probably the better match up for it
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:43 AM   #57
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

^ That is correct. The M3P would cook your car because it’s a damn appliance, and cooking is what appliances do
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:43 PM   #58
iulianm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i xDrive

A friend of mine recently got a Model3 Performance; while he was parked side by side with mine, I've tried to see if I can spot any quality issues with panel gaps and couldn't find any on his Model3.
The surprise however was on my 3-Series:
Name:  IMG_3349.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  619.5 KB
If you zoom in:
Name:  jpg.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  664.2 KB
I've seen the same misalignment on the wikipedia page for 3-Series G20: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_(G20)

How's the panel gap in that area on your car?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 07:48 PM   #59
rrfitness20
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

No gap panel on my m340. Do have a slight gap on both sides of the hood though
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:33 AM   #60
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

model 3 perf will only do the fast times if the battery is
- not less than x %
- not too warm
- not too cold

m340i will do its thing all day every day
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2022, 12:11 PM   #61
SoCalM340i
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwinz View Post
model 3 perf will only do the fast times if the battery is
- not less than x %
- not too warm
- not too cold

m340i will do its thing all day every day
Exactly. The driving dynamics and handling make the driving experience much more enjoyable than in a Tesla. With the tyrannical government in CA pushing for all electric vehicles starting 2030 or 2035, pretty soon all of us here will be driving EV appliances, reminiscing on the days we had such wonderful ICE cars like the BMW M340i.
      01-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #62
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iulianm View Post
How's the panel gap in that area on your car?
My G20 has the same jump from bottom of pillar A to the top of front fender when viewed at the same angle.

In fact, this design cue exists in many G chassis cars(e.g. 2/3/5/7-series).

In previous E/F-chassis the fender metal extends up to meet the bottom of A pillar metal.

I guess the G chassis design can be cost cutting and/or clean(er) lines dependent on ones' interpretation.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:37 PM   #63
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalM340i View Post
Exactly. The driving dynamics and handling make the driving experience much more enjoyable than in a Tesla. With the tyrannical government in CA pushing for all electric vehicles starting 2030 or 2035, pretty soon all of us here will be driving EV appliances, reminiscing on the days we had such wonderful ICE cars like the BMW M340i.
^ I've stated over and over, it doesn't matter how fast you make an EV. I just don't want one.

They should instead focus on making slower mass-produced EVs that are cheaper, so that the bulk of society who don't drive for joy can buy them cheaply and use them for their day to day duties.

I mean, the Rivian is a 6 figure pick up truck. This is the wrong marketing....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:26 PM   #64
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TupperBMW View Post
^ I've stated over and over, it doesn't matter how fast you make an EV. I just don't want one.
it will happen. Merc & Audi has stated they will not be developing ICE cars and will stop selling ICE cars in 2030. BMW has not made such sweeping statements AFAIK presumably until the Euro bans sale of ICE cars then they will have no choice.

enjoy while it lasts ... or buy the last ICE car in 2029 and don't move

i have to say though, 7 years is a long time but if you have manufacturers stop developing ICE cars then it's pretty difficult to undo that

I'm picking the next BMW high performance cars to be all hybrids
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:11 PM   #65
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwinz View Post
it will happen. Merc & Audi has stated they will not be developing ICE cars and will stop selling ICE cars in 2030. BMW has not made such sweeping statements AFAIK presumably until the Euro bans sale of ICE cars then they will have no choice.

enjoy while it lasts ... or buy the last ICE car in 2029 and don't move

i have to say though, 7 years is a long time but if you have manufacturers stop developing ICE cars then it's pretty difficult to undo that

I'm picking the next BMW high performance cars to be all hybrids
All the manuf. can say what they want. The reality will sink in when they hit a bottleneck that the infrastructures in the US is just not ready for such drastic changes, then they will just continue to build ICE cars and no one would even notice. As of right now, EV only takes up 2.5% of the total market share. Yes only 2.5%. Now, imagine 60 or 70 or 80% of all cars on the road are EVs and we are not really doing anything meaningful on the infrastructures. Yes, Tesla is adding a few supercharging stations here and there. Those are less than a drop in the bucket than what is required. Not to mention, as of right now, Tesla is not sharing its stations. They said they will. But i dont know see why they would given that is the #1 competitive advantage right now.

Car manuf. changes their tones on cars based on market conditions and market conditions change every year.

It took them 15 years to build a small bridge on I-10, i can't imagine how long is it going to take them to change how electricity is provided in the US.

There will be changes from how electricity is generated to how it is delivered. The 2.5% right now could enjoy off peak charges at home at night time. When there are 60,70,80% of all cars on the road are doing the same thing, then off peak is no longer off peak.

It seems some people are reading too much into Tesla's propagandas and think as long as we ignore the issues, they will just magically go away.

Then there is the cost.... u think everyone could afford the cheapest EVs that start at $40k? then assuming everyone could charge at home?

Last edited by oonowindoo; 01-18-2022 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
ham34084.00
      01-18-2022, 04:15 PM   #66
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
All the manuf. can say what they want. The reality will sink in when they hit a bottleneck that the infrastructures in the US is just not ready for such drastic changes, then they will just continue to build ICE cars and no one would even notice. As of right now, EV only takes up 2.5% of the total market share. Yes only 2.5%. Now, imagine 60 or 70 or 80% of all cars on the road are EVs and we are not really doing anything meaningful on the infrastructures. Yes, Tesla is adding a few supercharging stations here and there. Those are less than a drop in the bucket than what is required.

Car manuf. changes their tones on cars based on market conditions and market conditions change every year.
I think EV infrastructure and battery tech will take a few decades to buildup and evolve, so ICE should be available in the interim.
Appreciate 0