Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Playing playlists from iPhone?

01-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #1
gregch
Private
Rep
Drives: G22 420i

Playing playlists from iPhone?

Pretty trivial question, this, but...

I have my iPhone paired to the car via Bluetooth, and all my music is in Apple's own Music app. It mostly works great - I can select albums, artists etc no problem. The easiest way I found so far is to just say "Hello BMW play me some [artist name]" and it works perfectly every time. This is impressive, given some of my eclectic Finnish music artists.

But, if I ask the car to play one of my playlists, it (she?!) finds the correct playlist, repeats its name back to me, displays it on the central display, says (something like) "OK, I'll play your playlist [correct playlist name]; playback starting now". But what it actually does is resume playing whatever it was playing before.

Any ideas what's going on? Are playlists just impossible, or do I have to connect via CarPlay (I hope not, I hate it with a passion, the BMW interface and experience is so much nicer - apart from this one issue).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

Just use the mic button on the steering wheel and use SIRI to change to the playlist on the phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:10 AM   #3
gregch
Private
Rep
Drives: G22 420i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D3 View Post
Just use the mic button on the steering wheel and use SIRI to change to the playlist on the phone.
So you can talk to both Siri (phone) and BMW (car), even without using CarPlay?? I'll give it a try, thanks!

I just don't quite understand why the car's able to find and play my albums perfectly, but although it finds the playlists it won't actually play them (even though it thinks it does...).

I noticed that under "Media", under my phone, there's only "Artists" and "Albums" listed, ie not Playlists - to get to playlists you have to use "Search" - is that normal?

Incidentally, I've never had a problem doing this with any previous (non-BMW) car so I don't think there's anything wrong with how the phone's set up.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #4
Paul D3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3

Short press on the MIC button gets you BMW voice control. Long press gets you to your phones voice assistant, SIRI in your case. It may well find your playlists better.

It will be interesting to hear if it works
Appreciate 0