Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Verus Engineering 6-Port Turbo Heat Shield Install

09-17-2023, 02:50 PM   #1
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Thumbs up Verus Engineering 6-Port Turbo Heat Shield Install

Recently ordered the Verus Engineering Heat Shield for our 2022 M440i G23 B58 Vert

I was looking for a clean looking product install, that would effectively reduce the extreme radiated heat from the turbo into the underhood area/intake/etc. since the turbo is essentially wide open to the underhood area

Upon web search I came upon Verus Eng & started a dialog with Clay Warner, their Director of Sales & Marketing.

Heat Shield
https://www.verus-engineering.com/sh...ry=57#attr=125

A/C Caps
https://www.verus-engineering.com/sh...ry=57#attr=183

After having all my questions answered in short time I decided to go with the 6 Port Turbo Heat Shield Kit - 2021+ Mk5 Toyota Supra in Black Cerakote w/silver accent. (BMW & Supra shields are identical for my application). I also picked up a set of their blue anodized A/C Caps to match the rest of my underhood anodized caps Silver Cerakote w/black logo accent is also available

> The heatshield is produced from 2.0mm thick stainless steel sheet metal which is CNC laser cut, CNC bent, and then finished in high-temp Cerakote. The heat shield was designed off scan data obtained internally for an OE-like fit.

Items were shipped same day & arrived 2 days later

All were very well packaged so no damage in shipping & included:
  • Cerakote Coated Stainless Heat Shield Main Cover
  • Cerakote Coated Stainless Heat Shield Side Cover
  • Hardware Kit, Stainless Steel, Includes All Hardware Necessary for Install

Tools needed for my install:
  • 3/8" Ratchet Torque Wrench
  • 3/8" 13mm Dp Socket
  • 3/8" 2" Extension
  • 3/8" 4mm Allen Socket (could use allen wrench)
  • 3/8" 5mm Allen Socket (could use allen wrench)

After unpacking:

I both read the PDF Instructions & viewed their videos, but surprisingly found that the install on the M440 was even easier. They show loosely mounting the Side Cover, then installing the Main Cover, then bolting the Side to Main - which looked very fiddly trying to get the bolts in place in tight area without ending up dropping the hardware into the oblivion under the engine They actually include xtra hardware which I assume is for that very reason...

I had already relaced the bulky OEM Intake/Resonator muffler/Heat Shield with the Dinan CF Intake so no mods were necessary to intake.

> First I removed the Dinan Intake to allow unobstructed room to work (but with this intake I could have prolly done the shield install without removing the intake). The OEM lackluster heat shield is shown in this view :

According to their instructions you would then remove the (2) bolts holding the OEM Heat Shield to engine & unclip the O2 wires from heat shield. On the M440 the heat shield is actually longer than on the Supra with (3) bolts - which was excellent because that meant after removing the appropriate front (2) bolts - the heat shield was still bolted in place by 3rd bolt & no need for juggling a bunch of parts all @ same time when installing the Main Cover. There also was no need to remove the wires from their clips at rear of shield

> So step 2 was to remove the front (2) bolts from OEM Heat Shield (I saved them but they will not be used further on the install)

> Step 3 was to pre-assemble the Side Cover to the Main Cover using their supplied (4) SS M6x1.0 BHCS x 12mm long bolts/SS M6 washers tightened to 4-6 ft-lbs

> Step 4 was to install the pre-assembled unit to engine using the (2) SS M8x1.25 BHCS x 25mm long bolts/M8 fender washers/M8x16mm long aluminum spacers tightened to 8-10 ft-lbs - which was very EZ at this point since the unit was pre-assembled. As can be seen, there is absolutely no interference between the Heat Shield & any of the actuator linkage

Really liking the added detail of the contrasting SS plate under the laser cut Verus logo

> Final Step 5 was to re-install the Dinan Intake. This intake also has an integral metal heat shield on turbo side that did not interfere with the new Verus Shield & will offer even more heat protection for the intake

Entire install took me 30min including applying the Verus decal

> I then gently pressed the appropriate size anodized A/C Cap onto the OEM dull gray plastic caps using a vise with protective jaws (much better than hammering them on using a rubber hammer as suggested ) for final results:

Many thanx to Clay & the engineering team
@ Verus Engineering for bringing a US Made product to the market to reduce the hi turbo underhood temps
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 09-17-2023 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 5
Rdurty2682.50
k4sh_90539.00
Defpo37.50
jpowers36218.00
      09-17-2023, 09:41 PM   #2
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Certainly an easy upgrade, even if only for aesthetics.
Attached Images

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 2
Defpo37.50
1QuikWS61621.50
      09-18-2023, 06:46 AM   #3
CarGuy954
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

How bad does it heat soak and are you able to log your IAT's. I have been looking at this as well and actually posted a thread regarding turbo blankets.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 06:56 AM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy954 View Post
How bad does it heat soak and are you able to log your IAT's. I have been looking at this as well and actually posted a thread regarding turbo blankets.
Have no idea - I just installed this yesterday haven't even driven the car yet since

Pretty sure Verus has a graph of temps where they placed T/C in various spots underhood but not sure if it's for the 6 port version
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 08:30 AM   #5
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

is this like a turbo blanket?
      09-18-2023, 09:30 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalone View Post
is this like a turbo blanket?
Well, it is & it isn't

They both have the same intent = isolate the heat produced by your turbocharger and manifold with the purpose of reducing turbo lag, cooler air intake temperatures, protecting and prolonging vital under hood components, and giving a boost in horsepower

-but-

This product is made of sheet metal, Cerakoted to reflect heat, and is not a tight fit to the manifold/turbo, but it does cover both the exhaust manifold & the turbo. While a blanket is obviously not metal & closely fits the turbo/manifold physically

There are graphs from Verus showing lower underhood temps & IAT using thermocouples mounted @ different locations underhood, but the test was only done over a period of 5min (or at least that's as long as the graph shows)

The question brought up is what happens to the temps once the Verus sheet metal becomes heat soaked & starts radiating some of the heat into underhood? I would assume that even then it would afford some lowering of the underhood temps but there is no data showing this that I know of...

Between the (2) the Verus was a very EZ install, while a turbo blanket may, or may not involve removing the turbo for the install depending on who you buy it from

I'm not tracking my car - it is a DD, so I'm not as concerned - just wanted a product that would reduce heat somewhat, perform better then the lackluster OEM shield, & was EZ to install - so for me the Verus fit the bill

Appreciate 2
totalone275.50
Defpo37.50
      09-18-2023, 11:34 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 11:50 AM   #8
Defpo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
Was just looking at ordering this same heat shield a couple days ago. Thanks for the write up!
Appreciate 1
1QuikWS61621.50
      09-20-2023, 01:53 PM   #9
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
@1QuikWS6
You have some serious money under that hood.

I cannot see this doing anything to reduce temps, but it looks cool....
Appreciate 0