Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i LCI Sport VS Sport Plus

04-01-2023, 04:25 AM   #1
Chrisvir
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i LCi

M340i LCI Sport VS Sport Plus

Hi guys,

Just yesterday received my first BMW m340i (super exhited so far) love the car. As currenty i'm in the break in period of the car I was wondering what's the main differences between Sport and Sport Plus?

Also can i use those two modes in the break in period (I will not cross the 4.500 rev limit of course)

P.S the guys at the dealership mentioned that the cars are ready to go from the factory and i don't need to break in.. I'm a bit sceptical about that, what is your opinion?

Many thanks.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 07:49 AM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Ignore the dealer - BMW does specify a break-in period, but it’s quite short. If someone can’t hold off and follow the guidelines for 1200 miles, maybe they aren’t mature enough to have a new car. Or it’s a leased vehicle and they don’t really care (another maturity issue).

AFAIK, you can use any drive mode you want during break-in as long as you follow the rpm guidelines. It’s also best to drive under conditions where the rpm goes up and down frequently, not a constant highway rpm. A nice winding rural road is a usually good choice.

Sport plus definitely opens up both exhaust pipes and changes the exhaust tone. It also makes the transmission down-shift automatically as you slow down so you get more engine sound and more power. I’d have to check the manual to find the other differences in the engine and transmission settings. You can also configure sport individual, if you want some sport features, but not all.

Also experiment with clicking the shifter over to the manual mode. If you just click it over to manual it will initially still shift normally, but probably never engage the top two gears. However, once you click one of the paddles it will change to full manual and you will have to shift up and down. You might want to also change to the sport mode display so you can see the tach in the HUD.
I find that a quick click over to manual is really good for highway merges. It usually drops down at least one gear, and then holds it in lower gears longer to get better acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 08:18 AM   #3
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Yes you can use whatever mode you like. Car break in is a contentious topic. I’ve broken in cars by the manual, I’ve driven them hard from the get go. For a mass produced engine like the B58 I would warm it up, do some gentle pulls to a higher RPM then let engine braking slow the car. After the first couple of hundred miles I would just drive it normally after that. Main thing for any car is always keep the revs below 3-3.5k until the oil is warm.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 01:47 PM   #4
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

There is a break in period. A guy at the dealership told me to drive it like I stole it. But if you check the manual it says 1200 miles, don’t floor it (ever), not to exceed 100mph and I think keep it under 4000 RPMs. I did my best but I’m sure I broke some of those rules but I tried to take it seriously and I always let my car warm up before I drove it. But I can tell you, unless you’re a corpse, you’ll find it very hard to stick to those rules 100% of the time until 1200 miles. Definitely waited to launch it after the break in period.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 01:55 PM   #5
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisvir View Post
Hi guys,

Just yesterday received my first BMW m340i (super exhited so far) love the car. As currenty i'm in the break in period of the car I was wondering what's the main differences between Sport and Sport Plus?

Also can i use those two modes in the break in period (I will not cross the 4.500 rev limit of course)

P.S the guys at the dealership mentioned that the cars are ready to go from the factory and i don't need to break in.. I'm a bit sceptical about that, what is your opinion?

Many thanks.

Chris
s/sp - suspension and steering same

sport - gas pedal response less aggresive than sport plus

sport - gear changes slower and less aggressive and will use lower gears

but there is another mode

Sport plus - Sport mode - that is the most aggressive mode
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 04:58 PM   #6
Chrisvir
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i LCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
s/sp - suspension and steering same

sport - gas pedal response less aggresive than sport plus

sport - gear changes slower and less aggressive and will use lower gears

but there is another mode

Sport plus - Sport mode - that is the most aggressive mode

Whats that other mode you mentioned
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 06:38 PM   #7
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Flick the gear switch and you get separate layer of sport mode

Last edited by G30M; 04-01-2023 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 10:40 PM   #8
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Flick the gear switch and you get separate layer of sport mode
When you flick it into Sport you have to use the paddle shifters, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 11:16 PM   #9
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1138 View Post
When you flick it into Sport you have to use the paddle shifters, right?
nope full automatic but depending on how you drive it will either shift like you're racing, and if it doesn't sense you are throttle happy it will be a bit more conservative

but in gear flick sport mode, the moment you pull the paddle it is stuck on manual, it will no longer shift for you, i always get caught out and hit the limiter if i forget, eg if i've come to a stop and decide to then gas it.

Last edited by G30M; 04-01-2023 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
james1138122.50
      04-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #10
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
nope full automatic but depending on how you drive it will either shift like you're racing, and if it doesn't sense you are throttle happy it will be a bit more conservative

but in gear flick sport mode, the moment you pull the paddle it is stuck on manual, it will no longer shift for you, i always get caught out and hit the limiter if i forget, eg if i've come to a stop and decide to then gas it.
OK, so in sport plus, toggle the shifter from drive to sport and it will stay in manual unless you accidentally hit the paddle shifter?

Also, sorry to thread jack but you might have an answer to a question that’s bothering me. I’ve read that the car will take on the characteristics based on how you drive. Your post seems to allude to that as well. The problem is my morning commute is in stop and go traffic where you can’t change lanes very much and I’m stuck topped out going 50 mph. So it doesn’t make much sense for me to drive in sport mode so I just use Eco plus. Every other time I have the option to drive on the open road I am in sport plus. Will driving an hour in traffic five days a week in Eco plus mode mean that I will get a less aggressive drive in sport plus mode?

Hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 12:31 PM   #11
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
OK, so in sport plus, toggle the shifter from drive to sport and it will stay in manual unless you accidentally hit the paddle shifter?

Also, sorry to thread jack but you might have an answer to a question that’s bothering me. I’ve read that the car will take on the characteristics based on how you drive. Your post seems to allude to that as well. The problem is my morning commute is in stop and go traffic where you can’t change lanes very much and I’m stuck topped out going 50 mph. So it doesn’t make much sense for me to drive in sport mode so I just use Eco plus. Every other time I have the option to drive on the open road I am in sport plus. Will driving an hour in traffic five days a week in Eco plus mode mean that I will get a less aggressive drive in sport plus mode?

Hope that makes sense.
I think it’s tough for anyone to exactly pin point how long it’ll take your car to adapt to you switching to sport plus, unless there is literature out there that I am unaware of. The point is, if you drive in eco mode 5 days of the week and switch to sport plus at any given time, it’s not like the car stays in eco mode. It does in fact switch to sport or sport +, respectively. If you decide to stay in sport + say for an extended period of time and are aggressive with the throttle for a few mins(in my personal opinion) the car will then tend to adapt and keep the rpm’s higher. This has been my subjective experience. Usually during my warm up lap on the track the car will shift around 3-4K rpm’s and then once I start pushing lap 2 and beyond the car will never dip below 4-5k rpm. So clearly the car learned my “driving style” for that 20 min session.
james1138122.50
      04-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #12
///Medge
Private
Rep
Drives: Tbd

Imo sport plus shouldn’t be used in the break-in period because the car holds onto gears way into the rev range and downshifts high into the revs when you brake.

Sport+ is a very fun mode and I’m glad BMW includes it but it is not usable in stop-and-go traffic or even daily driving. Sport is more widely usable.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 01:33 PM   #13
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.
no adaptation in sport plus is instant
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 01:34 PM   #14
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
stays in auto unless you grab the flappy paddle
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 03:37 PM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

Hope that makes sense.
Driver and driving situation/environment adaptations are taking place in real time. Drive harder, the whole driving adaptations 'sharpen up'. Ease off and the adaptations adjust to suit your inputs, along with the inputs from the driving environment.

Also changing modes, or simply flicking the shifter to M/S (in any mode) breaks the current adaptation.

BMW data also states there is no driver adaptation held in memory and it starts afresh on each start up.

Driver adaptation basics: Note reference to "temporary" adaptation...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-02-2023, 10:25 PM   #16
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Driver and driving situation/environment adaptations are taking place in real time. Drive harder, the whole driving adaptations 'sharpen up'. Ease off and the adaptations adjust to suit your inputs, along with the inputs from the driving environment.

Also changing modes, or simply flicking the shifter to M/S (in any mode) breaks the current adaptation.

BMW data also states there is no driver adaptation held in memory and it starts afresh on each start up.

Driver adaptation basics: Note reference to "temporary" adaptation...
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 10:26 PM   #17
james1138
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
no adaptation in sport plus is instant
Thanks, tried this out today. Definitely noticed a difference. This car is fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 10:56 PM   #18
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, tried this out today. Definitely noticed a difference. This car is fast.
i think there are at least 3 layers of adaptation, can't remember

drive like a gran in that mode - it might keep the RPM around 1800-2200 (easier to get that in comfort + gear stick sport i think)
drive normally it will keep RPM 2400-3000
drive like a mad man RPM 3500-5000

and gear shifting aggressiveness/clunks/shakes etc also follows
on a rainy day you will get the tail sliding even with TC fully turned on, just be warned
Appreciate 0