Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications JB4 on 2021 M340i

07-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #89
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMajor View Post
I mean stage 2, downpipe and E50 on stock turbos running 10.85s on the 1/4 mile ? It sounds like BS to me.
That's the kinda results you get with pure800 turbo + downpipe + custom tune.
Proof is here on the forums: https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1741066

Anyone could write on draggy FULLY STOCK M340I and run 3.40ish 0-60 time when he knows he's running a custom tune + downpipe + E40.

Anyhow i've just filled with 91oct shell + Boostane (8oz for 16gal) wich should crank it to 97oct. It's raining today so I won't be able to log on draggy but I will update with map 1-2-3 when I can.
From my personnal experience so far with 91oct + Royal purple, best results were on map1 followed closely by map2 and then map3.

What I realized based on my logs(Both on the JB4 app and draggy) is the more aggressive the tune the better results at low RPM but the ign issue/power loss is showing as the RPM rise because of octane level not being high enough (Being a 91oct user, 93 or E85 not available where I live). When I get a chance I'll post my logs on draggy, it's fairly simple to analyse.
Nice! Def Keep us posted. Hope you have success
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #90
evan103207
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMajor View Post
I mean stage 2, downpipe and E50 on stock turbos running 10.85s on the 1/4 mile ? It sounds like BS to me.
That's the kinda results you get with pure800 turbo + downpipe + custom tune.
The answer is the slope, its a 1/2 mile graph and the second half of the 1/4 is uphill while the first 1/4 is pretty steep downhill.

AnotherG20 on youtube is nearly in the 10s with a RWD stock turbo car also:

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 06:22 PM   #91
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340XI G20

Guys kind of off-topic not actually uploading any JB4 times.
But I got my car like an year ago and it still has like 1 year and 8 months of full warranty.
So I talked to my bmw dealership where the guy is really a cool guy and I asked him would I have any warranty problems if I go for JB4.
He said something about newest bmw's like MY2020+ are sending all kind of data OTA and it will "probably" mark my car as tuned and thus will void my warranty if anything happens to my engine or gearbox.
Does someone of you ever had experience with having an engine issue and jb4 installed?
Is this just a bmw trying to scares me off? Or it is a real thing... I really want to tune my car I just feel it a little bit weak after 70 mph, my last ride was a V8 supercharged car with 500 hp and 800 nM.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #92
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

There's a thread by mission performance that explains how they can tell if you have a jb4 or another piggyback tune, dunno about OTA tho, guess it's possible tho. Even if it can't flag you remotely, if you have to go in for Warranty work, apparently they can now tell if your car has been performing outside of the stock levels once it's connected to their system.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #93
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It won't leave a trace on the dme, but if they dig hard enough they can still tell you've done something tho. My understanding, was that any major warranty claims will have a bmw rep come out and investigate, in which case any relationship you have with the dealer wouldn't help.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:05 AM   #94
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

TLDR: Flash tunes are detected proactively, piggybacks are detected retroactively - end result is the same.

Piggybacks are 100% detectable after removal - over the last several years the argument to the contrary has been put to rest. I would be highly suspect of anyone that says anything otherwise

Now your dealer won't know the brand or the color of the box but the trace evidence left behind after removal can and will be found out if BMW wants to dig.

Do piggybacks get flagged up front like flash tunes?
No they don't but it doesn't matter...flagging just says proactively that the engine output has been manipulated in some way and DOES NOT void your warranty. Piggybacks on the other had get found out retroactively but the end result is the same. The flagging thing is a non-issue.

That said this is no reason not to go with a piggyback - but someone should not go with a piggyback (any piggyback) based on the fact that they think they are safe from detection.

The "non detectable after removal" was a valid selling point years ago but is not applicable today

Last edited by chenry; 07-15-2021 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #95
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Aren't jb4, dinan and carbahn the only ones gonna be allowed in California shortly?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #96
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Aren't jb4, dinan and carbahn the only ones gonna be allowed in California shortly?
No - not as I understand it

As life long resident of California- ouch 50 years now - cant wait to move - but Ill keep a house here

Yes we have some new stuff bouncing around as usual regarding tuned cars and smog - but no one is going to be exempt from that even companies that have current CARB (California air resources board) acceptance/exception will be out of luck. What the legislature is trying to push through is any manipulation of a cars computer will be a problem. Of course the work around, if you are so inclined, is to flash back to stock or pull your piggyback

Last edited by chenry; 07-15-2021 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #97
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As long as u don't have a downpipe that throws a cel of have something like an upgraded hpfp that requires a tune to run.

Can u drive a car there that's been modified as long as it's not registered in California?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #98
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
TLDR: Flash tunes are detected proactively, piggybacks are detected retroactively - end result is the same.

Piggybacks are 100% detectable after removal - over the last several years the argument to the contrary has been put to rest. I would be highly suspect of anyone that says anything otherwise

Now your dealer won't know the brand or the color of the box but the trace evidence left behind after removal can and will be found out if BMW wants to dig.

No they don't but it doesn't matter...flagging just says proactively that the engine output has been manipulated in some way and DOES NOT void your warranty. Piggybacks on the other had get found out retroactively but the end result is the same. The flagging thing is a non-issue.

That said this is no reason not to go with a piggyback - but someone should not go with a piggyback (any piggyback) based on the fact that they think they are safe from detection.

The "non detectable after removal" was a valid selling point years ago but is not applicable today
Ye that exactly what I was looking for, those cars are so advanced I'm also pretty sure that they keep some kind of logging about how the car parameters and can be retrieved if something really bad happens.
So I guess there is no way to do a engine power tune without void the warranty :/. That makes me kind of sad...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #99
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerMytlas View Post
Quote:

Ye that exactly what I was looking for, those cars are so advanced I'm also pretty sure that they keep some kind of logging about how the car parameters and can be retrieved if something really bad happens.
So I guess there is no way to do a engine power tune without void the warranty :/. That makes me kind of sad...
Curious. How far back do you think it stores that info? If one were to remove the piggyback for example and run without it for let's say a few months does old data get overwritten?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 07:47 PM   #100
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
Curious. How far back do you think it stores that info? If one were to remove the piggyback for example and run without it for let's say a few months does old data get overwritten?
I was wondering the same thing, someone told me civics have a short period before it's overwritten. But I was wondering if the car would save and flag certain information, or even if it didn't, my concern is that if something goes wrong with the engine, I wouldn't be able to drive the car long enough to over write that period of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #101
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think the good news is that a well designed piggyback or flash (I'm running Mission Performance - they do oem work for Toyota and their B58 TRD supra and the power delivery is outstanding and at the same time just like oem) has not been shown to create any issues for the B58.

I would have no concern running a stage 1 or 2 flash from one of the majors or a piggyback on this engine - the B58 has been around for almost 5 years now and there is zero history of failure due to well designed flashes or piggybacks.

Just my 2-cents, hope it helps

Last edited by chenry; 07-15-2021 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: added dancing BMW guy
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 11:31 AM   #102
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
I'm developer and right now space is so cheap, they can easily place somewhere a storage hidden and store data there + all this data shouldnt be a big data. But that's just my guesses no idea... they may have implemented some kind of storage or they may use what they have in the DME and if so is the case it may get overwritten.

Quote:
I think the good news is that a well designed piggyback or flash (I'm running Mission Performance - they do oem work for Toyota and their B58 TRD supra and the power delivery is outstanding and at the same time just like oem) has not been shown to create any issues for the B58.

I would have no concern running a stage 1 or 2 flash from one of the majors or a piggyback on this engine - the B58 has been around for almost 5 years now and there is zero history of failure due to well designed flashes or piggybacks.

Ye in general ppl says that B58 engine is bulletproof but I really don't want to test my luck. The remap could be perfect then all of sudden something may go defective in engine and blow it... I know that the % is very low for this to happens, but still.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #103
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ye in general ppl says that B58 engine is bulletproof but I really don't want to test my luck. The remap could be perfect then all of sudden something may go defective in engine and blow it... I know that the % is very low for this to happens, but still.
My last car, 2017 340xi, the top of a bolt holding the crankshaft broke off about 10,000km after my warranty ended, I had a stage 2 tune but nothing crazy. Wouldn't have been tuning related, especially from the what the dealer said. Another case I found online when that happened with an almost brand new car, they replaced the engine. I had an independent shop do the work but still cost about 2 grand in labor. There not bulletproof, and things happen, and just like insurance companies, bmw does not wanna pay out big claims. A bmw tech literally told me "the b58 has proved to be pretty bulletproof, but at the same time it is a bmw..." lol.

Not saying don't tune it, but do some research and obviously don't base your decision solely off what ppl on a forum tell u.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer or dispute anyone else's view on things.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #104
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

What kind of 1/4 mile times are u running on missions stage 2? I thought I recalled seeing somewhere someone posted around 11.5.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #105
evan103207
Private
Rep

Slight favorable slope but lost traction off line due to wet and sandy roads from rain today as you can see by the drop in g forces at the launch. Still have yet to find a good spot.

Might go down to New England Dragway and see what I can do on a prepped surface and get full 1/4 mile runs in.

EDIT: did another 0-60, still not ideal road conditions and a passenger so subtract a tenth or so for the passenger.

xdrive
JB4 Map 3
CTS Turbo catted downpipe
MPE
on the all season run flats

Last edited by evan103207; 07-18-2021 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: another run
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 11:16 AM   #106
muppym340ixdrive
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i xdrive

Xdrive JB4 questions

Hi everybody, new 340i xdrive owner here. Looking at the JB4 tuner and have a few questions if anybody wants to chime in and help me out. Ive been searching but am pretty confused

drag runs

First off, i have been using a draggy at Orlando speed world drag strip and my 1/4 miles time match up well with the track times. my best 1/4 mile is 12.466s at 109.4 mpg 0-60 was 4.22s. How are people getting under 4s 0-60 on a stock car? (i understand draggy includes rollout for 1/4 mile but not 0-60). Is my xdrive detuned because of the all seasons? (i know top speed is reduced to 130)

Second question: is the JB4 setup to take advantage of the extra traction of the xdrive? i'm currently feeling like i made a mistake with the xdrive, its no quicker than the supra ive tested or apparently other rwd m340s.

3rd question: shouldn't i be able to launch an AWD car above 2500 rpms? i miss the tunable launch rpms of the m3 i tested. Does JB4 increase the launch rpm?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #107
evan103207
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppym340ixdrive View Post
Hi everybody, new 340i xdrive owner here. Looking at the JB4 tuner and have a few questions if anybody wants to chime in and help me out. Ive been searching but am pretty confused

First off, i have been using a draggy at Orlando speed world drag strip and my 1/4 miles time match up well with the track times. my best 1/4 mile is 12.466s at 109.4 mpg 0-60 was 4.22s. How are people getting under 4s 0-60 on a stock car? (i understand draggy includes rollout for 1/4 mile but not 0-60). Is my xdrive detuned because of the all seasons? (i know top speed is reduced to 130)

Second question: is the JB4 setup to take advantage of the extra traction of the xdrive? i'm currently feeling like i made a mistake with the xdrive, its no quicker than the supra ive tested or apparently other rwd m340s.

3rd question: shouldn't i be able to launch an AWD car above 2500 rpms? i miss the tunable launch rpms of the m3 i tested. Does JB4 increase the launch rpm?
I would guess that Florida heat is pulling power, what is the density altitude at that track? Also what octane gas are you running?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #108
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Are u using launch control or brake boosting? And how long are u letting it build boost?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:19 PM   #109
muppym340ixdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan103207 View Post
I would guess that Florida heat is pulling power, what is the density altitude at that track? Also what octane gas are you running?
Not sure on the track air density, it was about 75 degrees outside. Running 93 octane.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #110
muppym340ixdrive
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Are u using launch control or brake boosting? And how long are u letting it build boost?
First pass in the video was launch control, next two were brake boosting. I have found with the draggy that building up the boost for several seconds actually results in a slower 0-60. My best 0-60s have been traction control off brake boost for 1-2 seconds. Manually shifting hasn't seemed to help much, maybe I'm doing it wrong lol
Appreciate 0