Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Navigation/GPS Services not Functioning??

01-30-2023, 06:08 AM   #1
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Question Navigation/GPS Services not Functioning??

I just bought a used 2022 M440ix G23 vert with 5k miles on it from local Benz dealer.

Car was originally a BMW executive car for 6 months, then sold to someone who kept it for 5 months, stored on trickle charger, then traded in on a Benz - so dealer I purchased from was a Benz dealership

> Navigation in the car is not working I mean it comes up but there are no map details? I can go thru voice or idrive for address selection but it never goes thru for nav to start.

> It also has the Speed Limit icon in HUD and Kombi but it always displays just dashes no matter where I drive which I know is not correct like its not receiving any nav info?

> No Connected Services, or Apps available

> I can't add this car to My BMW since part of the process is a code sent to car in Messages - but car is not recognized or receiveing messages

Any help would be greatly appreciated I did Google search but couldn't really find anything or maybe the car was just never provisioned by BMW from the start since it was an Executive car?
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 02-17-2023 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 06:38 AM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Had collision repair by a Mercedes Benz dealer and when they got done the iDrive system displayed errors because of various collision sensors not being calibrated. MB brought in a contractor to fix it, but he could not reset the system and resolve the errors. Finally sent it over to the BMW dealer to reset the system and they had no problem getting it back to normal.

AFAIK, all the Nav and Heads up info services should work for 36 months / 36,000 miles if you have those options, with the exception of Sirius XM, which requires a separate subscription. The Nav works past 36 months, but you will pay for map updates after it’s out of warranty. I found a map update subscription for about $90/year for my old F30.

I would just take it to a BMW dealer for warranty repair.

Have you also registered for your My BMW account matched to your VIN, and downloaded the phone App? You can check quite a few items online, and the app give you access to several remote services (car locator, next required service, etc.).

Last edited by Bc2005; 01-30-2023 at 06:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 07:11 AM   #3
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Thanx for the reply

Car only has 5k on it, Carfax shows no accidents & no evident repairs.

I don't pick up the car till Friday so I can't go thru & set it up to Connected Services yet. But I checked & the car has the latest maps installed & I will be transferring my XM from current Benz I am trading in

I just talked to my salesman & told him they need to call BMW dealership, find out what the issue might be & take care of taking it there to get it fixed b4 I pay for the car.

If it truly is a reset issue than it shouldn't be up to me to have to drive 1hr to my nearest BMW dealer to fix it - Benz dealer that is 10mi away from me can do it

I bought my 2015 435 used from same Benz dealer & everything was fine, Nav worked out of the box. Previous 2008 328ix I got from BMW & it was fine also.

I can take BMW's to the close by Benz dealer for service items & the like and they perform the service, & the deal they have is if it needs BMW warranty work they pick up the car from me, take it to BMW for repair, then deliver it back to me

I know I can use android auto for waze or google, just prefer to use the factory nav most of the time, plus if it should be working I want everything made right b4 paying
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 02-17-2023 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 09:55 PM   #4
tomz17
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Thanx for the reply

Car only has 5k on it, Carfax shows no accidents & no evident repairs.

I don't pick up the car till Friday so I can't go thru & set it up to Connected Services yet. But I checked & the car has the latest maps installed & I will be transferring my XM from current Benz I am trading in

I just talked to my salesman & told him they need to call BMW dealership, find out what the issue might be & take care of taking it there to get it fixed b4 I pay for the car.
So when I picked up my car, the (CPO BMW) dealer had to register it in their backend. They still managed to somehow eff that up, but he did have to go into his computer and put my info + the cars info in. IIRC I got a text message on my phone to activate in the app. The second time I did it (again long story), I could self-register and got a text in the car's nav system to confirm. I presume none of the online stuff works right until you register a BMW account.

That being said, I'm always dubious of the "executive" car story. The executive cars I've seen in my car shopping are either press cars (which you can usually identify because they have an extra "special inspection / special preparation" VO on their build sheets), and BMW driving school cars. I looked at two "executive" M340i's, and found that both had been in the original m340 press fleet. Both were fully optioned, had great miles, and spotless carfax records (iirc. they were both "leased" by some non-existent company in the parking lot next to BMW headquarters in NJ, I had to use google street-view to figure it out, so shady AF on BMW's part). But through some digging I found that both had the press car VO on their build sheet, both had the same color combos used for the initial press coverage (tanzanite + oyster), both had vin numbers within like literally 7 digits of each other at the very beginning of the range. And at least ONE of them had gone on from its duty as a press car to do a few months as a teen m-performance driving school car in south carolina (which I figured out because it showed up its BMW service history as a set of brakes at like 9k miles at the on-site BMW shop down there). Both were being sold by regular BMW dealerships in the northeast and advertised as "executive cars".

Either way, decided that I did not want an "executive" car that a pile of automotive journalists "tested" followed by a new set of teenagers on the track every day.

On the flip side, a good friend's brother-in-law used to work high up in BMW financial, and would get a car as part of his compensation package. I would have zero issues picking up one of those cars. So I presume actual "executive cars" do exist in some very small quantity, but there's no fool-proof way to verify which story it is.

Either way, just be careful if the "executive" story sounds too good.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 12:03 AM   #5
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
BMW executive cars are not uncommon. My 2006 E90 330i was an executive car. Then it was leased and I bought it off lease and owned it for 11 1/2 years. The only mechanical issue I had was a leaking transmission mechatronic sleeve, which was quite common with the ZF 6AT.

I found out this summer that one way to find out if a car was a Performance Center car is that it comes with a Disclosure Notification that states “Driving Program - Cannot CPO/ESC (extended service contract)”. Not sure if that applies to press cars, but definitely to Performance Center cars.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

01-31-2023, 08:16 AM   #6
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Benz dealer contacted BMW dealer - turns out they say it needs a software update which apparently can't be done over the air

Benz dealer made appointment & will take care of getting the car there and back to me for the service whilst they give me a Benz loaner

So we will see...
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2023, 05:48 PM   #7
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Connected Drive services and BMW Assist are active for the first 4 years after the car is originally put into service. No mileage limitation. after that, it can be renewed on an annual basis for a fee.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 08:46 AM   #8
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Dealer did manage to get the car fixed & all is working correctly now - took them 2 days...

Faults present for HU-H & no GPS reception. Car had the Nav location set up in Germany, not NA

TCB/HU-H tried reset, Navi would not update with reboot, online services would not update & had FC 026180

They had to manually program the TCB but still could not update online services so they opened a TSARA case with BMW

Response was to update the SW of the TCB & HU-H thru control module replacement path.

After they did that the car was showing the proper NA location, & all services updated

I currently have all the Connected Services avaialble for free next 4 yrs

Dealer stated they have seen this b4 but have no idea whether the car was set up initially to Germany, or something happened afterwards
Appreciate 0