Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK BMW building cars without touch screens!!

11-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #23
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M sport 320D

Just checked with the dealer who has just assured me my g21 m340i order in June 21 will be delivered with touchscreen technology, hopefully stays this way as I do use it for navigation and android auto, still have a few weeks for it to change suppose.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 06:40 AM   #24
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

The fact that they’ve removed the cubbyhole gives a lie to the excuse that the other deletions are all down to the chip shortage. Methinks BMW is just trying to claw back a bit more margin on the cars it sells.

So glad that mine was built in January, before this nonsense started.

Last edited by paulockenden; 11-09-2021 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 06:51 AM   #25
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Maybe, but working in the semiconductor industry I see across-the-board shortages in stuff we took for granted. Some items are only available on grey markets or new old-stock at prices 1000's times higher that before all this nonsense started. A device we used to acquire for around $3.76 is now at $58.00 from grey-market supply in Malaysia - the OEM have none.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:13 AM   #26
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashead76 View Post
Just checked with the dealer who has just assured me my g21 m340i order in June 21 will be delivered with touchscreen technology, hopefully stays this way as I do use it for navigation and android auto, still have a few weeks for it to change suppose.
What are your estimated build / delivery dates.

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:49 AM   #27
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-ToK72 View Post
What are your estimated build / delivery dates.
Was being delivered this week originaly but has been pushed twice now, week 52 build... delivery not confirmed?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #28
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisman77 View Post
Interestingly I find the thumb-left/right and other gestures really useful at controlling media at least.
The only gesture I can ever get to work is the volume and then it over does it. Sometimes I seemingly are using my hands unintentionally and it will change something. IMO gesture control is a complete and utter waste of time.
      11-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #29
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
The only gesture I can ever get to work is the volume and then it over does it. Sometimes I seemingly are using my hands unintentionally and it will change something. IMO gesture control is a complete and utter waste of time.
Agreed, Pity they are short of chips for this !
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #30
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Hardly use it as well, only to enter addresses while stationary. The iDrive controller is just too good. Can't imagine living with a touchscreen-only car like new Audis or Teslas.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #31
Russ_M340i
Russ_M340i
England
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
I don't use the touchscreen often but when I do it's invaluable. Things like address input where BMW voice doesn't quite recognise it and rotating the wheel per letter takes half a year. Don't use it so much while driving but is neat to pinch and pan/rotate map around too in new areas.
You can draw letters on top of the idrive controller too
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2021, 01:36 AM   #32
Keith_C
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Interestingly I find the thumb-left/right and other gestures really useful at controlling media at least.
I use Gesture control all the time and the touchscreen hardly ever for a couple of reasons, it's a bastard to hit what you want when you want when driving which makes it very distracting and ultimately dangerous and also the fingerprints.

The only people who don't like Gesture control are those who can't keep their hands still when talking, like my Mrs and Joe Achilles!!

The iDrive and it's controller is still the best in the business and I would never buy a car that was touchscreen only, stupid and unnecessary in a moving vehicle.
M240i - Thundernight Metallic - Cognac Interior - M Technology Pack - Technology Plus Pack - Comfort Pack - HK - Driving Assistant - M Adaptive Suspension - 19" 893 M Double-spoke Bicolour Alloy Wheels - Aluminium Rhombicle Interior Trim
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2021, 04:01 AM   #33
Talisman77
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '69 BMW M340i xDrive (G20)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Barely have any trouble with recognition personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_M340i View Post
You can draw letters on top of the idrive controller too
Unfortunately this is rather lacklustre for me; half the time it doesn't fully notice my input so I get weird characters like dash or space added cause it only drew part of the letter A or whatever. Secondly it still takes forever to draw out every single letter compared to quick taps on the touchscreen where I know I have a long input to enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
I use Gesture control all the time and the touchscreen hardly ever for a couple of reasons, it's a bastard to hit what you want when you want when driving which makes it very distracting and ultimately dangerous and also the fingerprints.

The only people who don't like Gesture control are those who can't keep their hands still when talking, like my Mrs and Joe Achilles!!

The iDrive and it's controller is still the best in the business and I would never buy a car that was touchscreen only, stupid and unnecessary in a moving vehicle.
Definitely! I still find myself using the rotary wheel the most, but I think all the input methods have their place.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2021, 04:05 AM   #34
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
The fact that they’ve removed the cubbyhole gives a lie to the excuse that the other deletions are all down to the chip shortage. Methinks BMW is just trying to claw back a bit more margin on the cars it sells.

That is correct BMW has confirmed it is making more profit per car and after the chip shortage it will not be going back to the high volume / discount model. So you can expect higher prices and less features in the future, chip shortage or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 04:13 AM   #35
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colliwobbles View Post
That is correct BMW has confirmed it is making more profit per car and after the chip shortage it will not be going back to the high volume / discount model. So you can expect higher prices and less features in the future, chip shortage or not.
Yarp!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...expensive-cars
      11-10-2021, 05:02 AM   #36
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
The fact that they've removed the cubbyhole gives a lie to the excuse that the other deletions are all down to the chip shortage. Methinks BMW is just trying to claw back a bit more margin on the cars it sells.

I doubt that - any manufacture will want to continue market share dominance, and whilst all manufacturers are making higher margin off a lower volume, they will still need to fill factories / make them efficient to run, which requires volume.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 06:34 AM   #37
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer5to3 View Post
I doubt that - any manufacture will want to continue market share dominance, and whilst all manufacturers are making higher margin off a lower volume, they will still need to fill factories / make them efficient to run, which requires volume.
See article
https://www.wapcar.my/news/mercedes-...business-33609
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 06:39 AM   #38
Beemer5to3
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Quote:
See article
https://www.wapcar.my/news/mercedes-...business-33609
Cheers - I've read that, albeit a different site. What I meant was, whilst that may be their thoughts in terms of strategy post the semiconductor crisis, the world is quickly catching up to the likes of BMW, Audi, Merc etc in terms of quality - just look at Hyundai pushing into the premium market with Genesis, and Hyundai/Kia group in general absolutely flying and really gunning for the premium marques, not to mention Volvo having a go (albeit less successfully than they wanted). All of the current German marques seriously need to watch their backs from other manufacturers catching up - all of a sudden a non-discounted Merc or BMW doesn't stack up and they'll quickly realise it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #39
marksandygill
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320d xDrive F22 M240i

Once you remove the engine from the equation (as with EVs) then suddenly it leaves a lot less for makers like Kia and Hyundai to catch up on and a lot less excuse for makers like BMW to charge much higher prices!

I'd probably take a Kia EV6 over an i4 right now...
      11-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #40
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cheers - I've read that, albeit a different site. What I meant was, whilst that may be their thoughts in terms of strategy post the semiconductor crisis, the world is quickly catching up to the likes of BMW, Audi, Merc etc in terms of quality - just look at Hyundai pushing into the premium market with Genesis, and Hyundai/Kia group in general absolutely flying and really gunning for the premium marques, not to mention Volvo having a go (albeit less successfully than they wanted). All of the current German marques seriously need to watch their backs from other manufacturers catching up - all of a sudden a non-discounted Merc or BMW doesn't stack up and they'll quickly realise it.

I agree European manufacturers seem to been left behind, BMW seemed at the forefront with electric I3, maybe too soon. Now Koreans and no doubt soon Chinese will be leading “experts” in EV’s
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #41
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Now it may just be me but I never use the touchscreen. If I was being provocative I'd go as far as saying it's borderline dangerous to use it whilst driving as it's too far away.

What do other people think?
I agree entirely and it's the main thing that pushes me away from Teslas; as I understand it they use their big central touchscreen to control almost everything - even operating the wipers - and I fail to see how that can be as convenient (or safe) as using a stalk mounted on the steering column. IMO it's providing a solution to a problem that never existed and is just tech for the sake of it....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:26 PM   #42
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Was being delivered this week originaly but has been pushed twice now, week 52 build... delivery not confirmed?
Suspect your dealer may be in touch to give bad news shortly, ive received word that while it doesn't show on orders as yet still in the queue, Its something that they are adding manually during the build process at the factory so doesn't show up on orders just yet, it has been communicated internally this week though to the dealerships. Also been told that the £500 credit is paid the month after the first registration and so presumably is a credit issued separately after all paperwork is completed and the payments set up (assuming pcp ). I presume this means it won't affect the quotes with regards to the % rate etc however I would be asking for something in writing about the credit before I sign any paperwork
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 12:54 PM   #43
gashead76
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyranniux View Post
Suspect your dealer may be in touch to give bad news shortly, ive received word that while it doesn't show on orders as yet still in the queue, Its something that they are adding manually during the build process at the factory so doesn't show up on orders just yet, it has been communicated internally this week though to the dealerships. Also been told that the £500 credit is paid the month after the first registration and so presumably is a credit issued separately after all paperwork is completed and the payments set up (assuming pcp ). I presume this means it won't affect the quotes with regards to the % rate etc however I would be asking for something in writing about the credit before I sign any paperwork
I am actually upgrading my g20 to a larger engine g21 before I jump ship to the scalexctric variety, don't use digital key, don't use the charger but do use the screen, it's easier for me to input addresses and use android auto... rather not have the £500 and they just swap the screen on my current car when I p/x for the new motor however the dealer has phoned yesterday saying it is happening on some of his orders but my order has not been affected, I have informed him I do use it often and something I wouldn't want deleted, already losing a few basic options from my current car but only will miss the cubby hole, rest is pointless or doesn't work that well anyway.

Last edited by gashead76; 11-10-2021 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #44
P-ToK72
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I am actually upgrading my g20 to a larger engine g21 before I jump ship to the scalexctric variety, don't use digital key, don't use the charger but do use the screen, it's easier for me to input addresses and use android auto... rather not have the £500 and they just swap the screen on my current car when I p/x for the new motor however the dealer has phoned yesterday saying it is happening on some of his orders but my order has not been affected, I have informed him I do use it often and something I wouldn't want deleted, already losing a few basic options from my current car but only will miss the cubby hole, rest is pointless or doesn't work that well anyway.
So is yours already in production?
Just wondering how the dealer is able to ensure or confirm it’s not affected by the touchscreen loss unless it’s already built as the suggestion is it started in week 43?

Currently driving G21 M340i Touring
Previous F40 M135i and F31 335d Touring
Appreciate 0