Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Presenting the BMW 4 Series Coupe Concept (G22)!

09-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #771
motorwerkeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

The emphasis above the wheels and window shape made me think Audi A5 immediately. Nothing about the side surfacing and silhouette says "BMW coupe" to me.

The grill is what it is - and I am not a fan (Sorry Sedan Clan, feel free to add me to your "lists"). The renders looked better but what we have here is just to prominent and upright to be cohesive with the rest of the design. Add in the overly-busy hood and squinty headlamps and that's a no for me dog. Hoping the final version comes out better.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #772
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorwerkeman View Post
The emphasis above the wheels and window shape made me think Audi A5 immediately. Nothing about the side surfacing and silhouette says "BMW coupe" to me.

The grill is what it is - and I am not a fan (Sorry Sedan Clan, feel free to add me to your "lists"). The renders looked better but what we have here is just to prominent and upright to be cohesive with the rest of the design. Add in the overly-busy hood and squinty headlamps and that's a no for me dog. Hoping the final version comes out better.
My list wasn't about anything more than the fact that change was coming. Whether you like the design or not is an individual thing.

The new car does give off an A5 vibe, but isn't that somewhat of a good thing? The A5 is a pretty handsome car. I think BMW is late to the gaping-mouth-front-end party.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #773
ktmM3
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 1998 M3, 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensyu View Post
How on hell would you think Chinese will like this plain ugly design???
The X7 is popular there.

But, you've got a point.

It's UGLY everywhere. It doesn't look beautiful or sporty in Chicago, China, Chalupa, or Cheshire.

What happened to BMW's fabulous designers and balance, like this!

Name:  BMW 2.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  808.9 KB

Compared to just about EVERY car in the WELT and the Munich Museum, this new 4 Coupe's front end is:

Ugly, Ungainly, Unsightly, Unflattering, UnBELIEVABLE.

Just :b arf:
Appreciate 3
tetsuo1111224.00
Wmzorba09325.50
      09-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #774
davegill
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe

I'm in the minority here, but I like it. Hopefully the production model keeps the overall look and lines.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24817.00
JTO245246.50
BMWRL596.00
      09-11-2019, 01:24 PM   #775
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Putting a smiley face after an insult does not make it any less of an insult. Just my observation.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #776
bjcarls
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 Tahoe, 22 R1S, 23 Z07

I love these 35 pages and I know I’m in the minority by liking the design BUT I love to read comments about people thinking a used e30, e36, e46, e90, etc will go up in value (unless it’s a NA M car). At no point would I pass on a new 510hp M3 for a 5yr old, old tech, dated design 444hp M3 because of a grille.
Appreciate 4
Sedan_Clan24817.00
JTO245246.50
BMWRL596.00
      09-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #777
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarls View Post
At no point would I pass on a new 510hp M3 for a 5yr old, old tech, dated design 444hp M3 because of a grille.
The average customer, like you, might not. But BMW enthusiasts and fans will start seeking E46, E90 and F80 M3s to add to their collection. Switching to AWD ZF8 was bad enough, to put that in this exterior design is just appalling. Maybe they'll gain new average Audi and Lexus customers, but they'll surely lose enthusiasts to other brands such as Porsche, ford and Chevy.
      09-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #778
Fitzy4GC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428 Grand Coupe, 2016 X3,

Garage List
2015 BMW 428  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
I love everything about this car!!! ...EXCEPT that grill.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #779
K4Z1u
Rep
Drives: BMW E81

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4Z1u View Post
I'm not so good at photoshop but it is so much better with 8 series grille.

Didn't expect so much love! Thank you all I decided to make frontal view
Appreciate 1
snareman8959.50
      09-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #780
The English Guy
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: F80 MW M3 / Cohiba

This is how you do it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      09-11-2019, 02:12 PM   #781
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

btw, Audi took a cue from BMW and the RS6 has the same front as the RS7 (or at least more in common with the RS7 than the regular A6/S6).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #782
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i

Stunningly hideous

CURRENT: '18 340i
Appreciate 2
swanson733.00
      09-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #783
MyFragileHalogen
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 6MT

Production version would perhaps less crazy front grills and would have to see what new M4 will looks like. It's nice color..but looks pretty much same as those Mazda CX-5 I see around.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #784
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Damn all prior front ends look so dated now. Seeing them like this really highlights that it was time for a major change. At his current time and into the future no doubt I prefer the new concept.
I feel the same way. SCOTT26 alluded to this as well. It'll be interesting to see how many people register for the forum around the time that the new cars are made available to the public with threads titled, "New to BMW and I just picked up my new 4/M3/M4...." ...or, "Long time lurker, but I finally joined the family. Pics of my new 4/M3/M4."
I know many people will get it, but I went back to the concept f32 reveal and the forum was generally very positive. It was well received and BMW really pumped out the amazing f82. Really not sure if the g8x will do as well in the future.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=775876
I agree about the reception. That I cannot dispute, but people well above our respective pay grades obviously saw something in the stats. This is a major move by BMW; a move that wasn't whimsical (...which is another reason why comments about this concept being a ruse, a joke....or a ploy confound me). This isn't a game. This is a major automotive marquee that was used to smashing the completion for at least 10 years straight, only to witness Mercedes dominate them the last three years (...and thankfully the X SAV's and the new 7 have helped claw back some market share). That is not something this company is accustomed to. Something had to change.
Maybe they should start with building better cars. :

Most of their lineup sucks to be honest. I walk into dealerships now and just shake my head. My wife's X3 does the job buts it's not a great car. It's the baby car that my wife wanted.

Beaver grilles will NOT help BMW.
...and maybe BMW's previous approach was its own worst enemy.

I feel the same way that you do when I walk into a dealership now. Nothing is really that inspiring to me outside of the ///M3 and ///M4, and to a lesser degree, the ///M2C. Gone are the days where I liked nearly every model......but I'm only one buyer. I'm not sure where the chasm began, but somewhere, somehow BMW shifted into a phase of largely uninspiring designs. Even the new 3 is simply boring to me. This new 4 is striking; it is going to grab your attention for better or for worse (....of course most on this forum will say the latter). It will be a conversation piece. It will be aggressive. I don't love it, but I do have an appreciation for it.......more today than I did upon initially seeing the renders. The more I look at it, the more it starts to come together for me......and I've been looking at it intermittently all day. Maybe the designer(s) went through a similar process. Who knows!?! What I do know is that this car has buzz; people are talking, albeit somewhat negatively now, but I reckon that will change. It's bold, brash.....risky, but that's part of the allure. Some ask, "Why?!?, while others simply....just......look. It takes awhile to take it all in. I looked at my F82 tonight and felt like it aged overnight. For the first time ever it felt old. Don't misinterpret that as a criticism. I love it to death, but I would be remiss if I weren't honest when I relay my thoughts to this forum. I want to see the new 4/M4 in the flesh. I'll likely stare for a significant amount of time just as I did when I first saw a YSB F80 ///M3 while awaiting the arrival of mine back in 2014. Yas had me questioning the same way this new grill does. It didn't quite sit right with me initially, but I was drawn to it. Every photo or video captured it a bit differently. I drove all the way to San Diego just to stare at that YMB F80 for over an hour. Anyways, I'm teetering on tangentiality now.
I'm never going to come around to this new design language never. I agree with you that the new M340 is bland and whatever. I drove in one when I picked up my car at the Performance Center a few months back. Didn't do anything for me BUT I didn't hate it.

I HATE THIS. This isn't what drew me and many others to the brand that's for sure. So glad I grabbed one more F82 spec'ed exactly how I wanted. I think deep down I knew my "relationship" with BMW was coming to end at least for now.

Honestly can you guys see Joe Blow walking into a dealership and saying "boy what a beauty I need that car"? The answer is Hell no.

I started looking at baby convertible seats that fit in a 911 if that is any indication where I'm gonna be at in the near future. I'll put golf clubs in the front seat. Fuck it.
Actually I can see the average Joe/Jane buying this car. Many buyers want what is new/exciting. Many buyers want to be the first to have something. Put it in perspective; we have buyers willing to pay insane mark-ups just to be the first to have a popular car or truck (...be it a BMW, Ford Raptor, etc.)......and make no mistake about it, these new cars will pop up on this forum. People claiming they won't buy the car will buy the car.
So why wouldn't they buy an RS3 or RS7?

Sure, people want something new and exciting, but they also want something good looking.

This M3 is quickly going to gain a rep for being an ugly SOB. In the enthusiast community it already has.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #785
ktmM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-f30 View Post
stunningly hideous
e x a c t l y
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 02:29 PM   #786
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
The overall body aesthetic is so... pedestrian. This looks like a fucking Infiniti!

The curves and the edges met with such purpose in previous BMW designs, this however seems like a rip off of Lexus and Infiniti. WTF. Meanwhile, the South Koreans at Kia are actually building interesting designs (Stinger!!)

I could have lived with the grilles actually, but every design cue here is to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

The Z4 and it's frog like front end was a give away that BMW was about to go full stupid; they have no design inspiration. And, behold.
Well said. BMW is supposed to be special but they're losing their touch.

This car is soulless and a haphazard attempt to fit in with the new wave. No regard for taste.

Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      09-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #787
jordan35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Car companies has managed to push their never changing character less, no imagination, lazy design strategy into car buyers mind making them resist any new ideas. This crap has gone on since the 1980s when the car as equal part art and engineering was abandoned and replaced with a on all about function ethos were art and imaginative designs had no place.

Google cars from 1910, 1920 up to 1970 and marvel over the imaginative unique, sometime outrageous designs. A large grill now make people pee their pants and grab pitch forks, sad.
I admire BMWs risk taking, but the fact they didn't recognize how ugly this car is... it's honestly shocking

Appreciate 5
Foodle25.50
drexplode1762.00
alex23642846.50
Poiseuille5362.00
MFNATIK3487.00
      09-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #788
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by icpee View Post
Quote:
It's interesting that you'd think a company of BMW's magnitude would play games and develop cars as jokes, even when BMW employees on the forum have warned about this for months. I can't really understand that frame of thinking. It's about as juvenile as the assertion it spawns.
There are alot of posts in this thread that comes across like this.

Very poor posts by what i would assume are enthusiasts of the brand and this is exactly why you don't take into consideration the enthusiasts when developing products. The wider market appeal is much more enticing that listening to a group of whiny 10 year olds on a forum who are most likely going to buy the car anyways so BMW still gets your money
Sorry but every person I've shown the pictures too (all are non-enthusiasts) laugh and say it must be a joke!

They've lost a customer here and it's too bad as I love my M2.
SW192441.50
Poiseuille5362.00
      09-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #789
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spederd View Post
Quote:
Still butthurt because you were wrong eh?!?

Listen .......we, as a forum, are having a discussion, and everybody is offering/contributing their own viewpoints and perspectives from their own vantage points. Shit or get off the pot. You obviously have a reading comprehension issue. I've been on this forum 14 years. Don't come in here and preach to me about decorum.
No, I am not butthurt, if I remember correctly I was one of those who admitted it that you were right about the design.

My observation about the general sentiment was introduced regarding the topic of how the "average" people are going to like this design and if with this design BMW will be able to appeal to a broader range of customers. Since it was mentioned on the forum that BMW might try to appeal to certain customer groups by this new design. And I have mentioned what I saw on news sites and social media in relation to this topic.

Frankly, repeating "accept it" and now "shit or get off the pot" is neither arguing or having a conversation.
Comments about acceptance is me being frank about BMW's decision on design ethos. No amount of complaining or wishful thinking is going to change a decision whose genesis occurred 2 years ago. My "shit or get off the pot" statement basically meant......contribute something noteworthy or bounce. You are/were putting words in my mouth and/or twisting the intent behind certain things that I've stated.

This process has occurred as far back as I can remember. On Roadfly (...you might be too young in the tooth to remember that forum, but I could be wrong...), the E36 guys hated or complained about the E46; on E46Fanatics, a forum for which I moderate and have been on since 1999/2000, they hated or complained about the F8X, and so on. People complained about Bangle's controversial designs. This is the way things are. In a few years time, when IND is starting build threads where Bimmerpost members are drooling at the build (...which is NOT to suggest that everybody will love the front end of this car), we'll reflect back on these threads.
Props for ROADFLY mention. If you were around for the Richard Welty BMW DIGEST ... props to another old school Bimwad.
Appreciate 2
      09-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #790
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcarls View Post
At no point would I pass on a new 510hp M3 for a 5yr old, old tech, dated design 444hp M3 because of a grille.
That's where we're different - i can't get a woody for a butterface, and I'm certainly not gonna pay for one.
Appreciate 3
drexplode1762.00
Poiseuille5362.00
      09-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #791
ktmM3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post
Sorry but every person I've shown the pictures too (all are non-enthusiasts) laugh and say it must be a joke!

Yes, and we thought that Chris Bangle's designs were bad.

Who's the LOSER who designed this front end????

hey BMW.........RELEASE THE DESIGNER'S NAME SO WE KNOW WHO TO BLAME. WHO DESIGNED THIS MONSTROSITY? ......WHAT IS HIS NAME?

LET'S START A PETITION TO DEMAND THAT HE/SHE BE REVEALED.

:mad0 260:
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5362.00
      09-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #792
seepete753
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Tanzanite F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post

I've shown it to enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts and they both have all said it was horrible. One non-enthusiast specifically said "that's horrible, it doesn't even look like a BMW" so idk who this target market BMW is looking for is but it's no one I know, including myself. I'll get another F80 and hold off for a redesign or move to another brand.

Past Cars: Le Mans Blue 2010 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT // Cobb // BMW Performance Exhaust // AFE DCI Stage 2 // ER CP // Gloss Black BMW Performance Spoiler Rep // BMW Performance Black Grills // 19" Black Avant Garde m359s // TGS HPB LED Interior Kit
Appreciate 2