Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums CANADA Loaners at Toronto area dealers

07-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black

Question Loaners at Toronto area dealers

I'm looking at coming back to BMW after being with other brands for several years. I was wondering what kind of experiences people had with loaners from GTA dealers.

My own experience has been that I used to be able to get loaners no problem when I booked an appointment. Then the dealers all started charging for loaners. Fine, I started bringing in my car for service on Saturday mornings. Now dealers are saying no service work at all on Saturdays, only oil changes. Their shuttle services run from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM (if there's a driver available) and they just drop you off at the nearest bus stop or subway station (which ever is closer).

I've called around to multiple dealers and it seems to be a policy across brands and owners.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i TB II

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish View Post
I'm looking at coming back to BMW after being with other brands for several years. I was wondering what kind of experiences people had with loaners from GTA dealers.

My own experience has been that I used to be able to get loaners no problem when I booked an appointment. Then the dealers all started charging for loaners. Fine, I started bringing in my car for service on Saturday mornings. Now dealers are saying no service work at all on Saturdays, only oil changes. Their shuttle services run from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM (if there's a driver available) and they just drop you off at the nearest bus stop or subway station (which ever is closer).

I've called around to multiple dealers and it seems to be a policy across brands and owners.
Holy Crap that sounds like terrible service. From my experience in the US we get loaners. If dealers tried charging me for a loaner on a car that should be otherwise working fine. I would raise hell...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:

Pfaff Mississauga and Budd's both usually charge for loaners

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaMobile View Post
Holy Crap that sounds like terrible service. From my experience in the US we get loaners. If dealers tried charging me for a loaner on a car that should be otherwise working fine. I would raise hell...
Yeah it really sucks but corporate just says that loaners are at the discretion of the dealer. Switching dealers doesn't make a difference because all the brands are doing the same thing regardless of who owns the dealer. To make things worse, some dealers just close their service department on Saturdays all together now. "Saturdays are for sales" is their slogan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Pfaff Mississauga and Budd's both usually charge for loaners
I spent the morning calling other dealers in the GTA trying to get a loaner for my service appointment, no luck. Finally my dealer aggreed to give a me a complimentary rental for one day while my car was in service. I asked and the rental is a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Last edited by JohnEnglish; 07-08-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #5
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

I've gotte loaners many times if not they give me a shuttle and they drop me off on my homes doorstep... always even if it's across the city
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #6
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:

.................................................. ................
I've been with Endras BMW (Ajax) since before they relocated there and if I can't wait for the service to be done they shuttle me to and from my home to the front door and I've been shuttled back to pick up the car on several occasions after 5pm, so their shuttle hours must be a bit longer than dealers you mentioned in the metro area.
On those occasions where it looked like they had to keep the car overnight (as was the case last week when I had a DME control reprogram recall), I get a free rental loaner. Endras has a contract with a local Enterprise rental agency.
      07-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
I've gotte loaners many times if not they give me a shuttle and they drop me off on my homes doorstep... always even if it's across the city
The no loaners thing seems to be a Toronto area exclusive feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
I've been with Endras BMW (Ajax) since before they relocated there and if I can't wait for the service to be done they shuttle me to and from my home to the front door and I've been shuttled back to pick up the car on several occasions after 5pm, so their shuttle hours must be a bit longer than dealers you mentioned in the metro area.
On those occasions where it looked like they had to keep the car overnight (as was the case last week when I had a DME control reprogram recall), I get a free rental loaner. Endras has a contract with a local Enterprise rental agency.
Yeah, if the car has to stay overnight you can get a loaner. Four or five years ago I just used to be able to drop off my car on a Saturday morning, get a loaner, run errands, and then the dealer would call be when my car is done. Then, I have to wait for the service since there were no more loaners. Now they don't even do service on Saturdays.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 05:55 AM   #8
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

BMW dealership experience has gone downhill year after year. They used to make you feel like a King with excellent customer service. It will take a while before things go back to the way they were. JohnEnglish if you have a good dealership right now, stick with it for a bit or consider other brands.
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #9
SlowestBMWDriver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix

Loaners and Shuttles are complimentary here in BC. I've gotten loaners (brand new G20 330i, X3 etc.) for same day oil change services at no charge!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The more I hear from people the more apparent it becomes that this is just a Toronto area dealer thing. It's like they all got together and decided to stop offering loaners except in the most extreme situations; even then it's only a rental. A co-worker was given a Mitsubishi Mirage today when they complained a bunch after dropping off their M550i
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #11
Ladhaan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i xDrive M Sport

Dropped my car off for service today at BMW Toronto. Got shuttle service to work at 9 am and picked me up at 5 pm. Not sure about loaners.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 03:42 PM   #12
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Never deal with Budds BMW. This is hands down the worse dealership around. They screwed me so many times.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:33 PM   #13
G80BSM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
Never deal with Budds BMW. This is hands down the worse dealership around. They screwed me so many times.
Loaners or not, warranty or out of warranty, always had good dealings with Budds Oakville. If you know what you’re dealing with, they’ll never screw you. This is my 4th BMW I’ve brought back to Budds for service and I couldn’t be happier.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
G80BSM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.111 View Post
Loaners or not, warranty or out of warranty, always had good dealings with Budds Oakville. If you know what you’re dealing with, they’ll never screw you. This is my 4th BMW I’ve brought back to Budds for service and I couldn’t be happier.
And I’ve always had an option of getting a loaner if I needed one!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 07:22 PM   #15
Habber
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
I'm just curious as to how often your cars are in service for a loaner car to even be an issue.

Are you really going to change brands for the once a year service loaner?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 01:51 PM   #16
JohnEnglish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

About once a year and yes, I would change brands because it's an inconvenience for me. I'm not a brand loyalist, I've moved between brands in the past and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #17
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

BMW Grand River charges for loaners
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 08:25 PM   #18
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Wow that's ridiculous for all you Canadians.

In Australia, all dealers give loaners no matter what BMW you have (could be a barely functioning E36 318i) and you'll be given a G20 330i or at least an F40 118i.

It's free and you don't even have to refuel it when handing it back. Availability means you have to book ahead of course but if your visit is not a scheduled service (I.e. a problem) they try to find you a car.

Also, their shuttle service is usually an X5 and goes from 7am to 5:30pm to the nearest public transport.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 07:53 PM   #19
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
I agree with you here. Went in to test drive a CPO 650 gran Coupe a couple of years ago and sat in the back. when I went to get out I felt something like an oil and looked at the door. I see that it is leaking some kind of substance so I go check the door carefully and than I noticed that it was painted before and badly as you can see some body repair had been done to it. I asked manager if the car had been in an accident and reply was it was Carfax clean. I said look at the door and are you telling me it hasn't been in an accident. Just smiled and said that Carfax said it was clean.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #20
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMSport2 View Post
Quote:
I agree with you here. Went in to test drive a CPO 650 gran Coupe a couple of years ago and sat in the back. when I went to get out I felt something like an oil and looked at the door. I see that it is leaking some kind of substance so I go check the door carefully and than I noticed that it was painted before and badly as you can see some body repair had been done to it. I asked manager if the car had been in an accident and reply was it was Carfax clean. I said look at the door and are you telling me it hasn't been in an accident. Just smiled and said that Carfax said it was clean.
They sold me a used M6 that was in an accident and never disclosed it. I found the damage after the sale.
Appreciate 1