Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Android Auto

10-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #111
Astera
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Just got my 2019 BMW 3 Series G20 back from its 1-year service and the dealer updated my iDrive software to 07/2020.60 which should from what I've read have Android Auto enabled but there is no option to launch it from the app section (Car Play is now there, but it's of no use to me). My phone can 'see' Android Auto is now there from when I first got in my car after the software update as it tries to connect but there is no way to launch AA on the iDrive system - the app interface is missing to launch it. Tried a iDrive reset too and that didn't work.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 07:30 AM   #112
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astera View Post
Just got my 2019 BMW 3 Series G20 back from its 1-year service and the dealer updated my iDrive software to 07/2020.60 which should from what I've read have Android Auto enabled but there is no option to launch it from the app section (Car Play is now there, but it's of no use to me). My phone can 'see' Android Auto is now there from when I first got in my car after the software update as it tries to connect but there is no way to launch AA on the iDrive system - the app interface is missing to launch it. Tried a iDrive reset too and that didn't work.
Drive around for a bit, leave and come back later. Reset iDrive again if it doesn't show up next time you get in the car.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:02 PM   #113
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Been using 07/2020.60 with note 10 plus for a bit over a week now every day, havent had any disconnects or hiccups.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #114
SomeGuy123
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
Been using 07/2020.60 with note 10 plus for a bit over a week now every day, havent had any disconnects or hiccups.
When i connect to WiFi in the car I lose my 4g icon on my note 10+. What am I doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #115
user13
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 320xi

Have any of you gotten the update via OTA?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 06:47 PM   #116
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy123 View Post
When i connect to WiFi in the car I lose my 4g icon on my note 10+. What am I doing wrong?
Change your phone's settings. Not familiar with current Samsung products, but it may be called adaptive wifi. The behavior you're looking for is to switch to mobile data if the wifi connection isn't good/working. You need wifi, data, and bluetooth on simultaneously to use wireless Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:46 AM   #117
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

Quote:
Try "Update Apps and Services" in your apps on the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 04:54 PM   #118
Lowney
Rep
Drives: G20 M Sport 320d

Finally got the OTA update. My question is do you have to be subscribed to the WiFi hot-spot service for AA to work? It won't connect to my phone unless it is connected to the cars WiFi. When it does connect nothing works. I assumed that AA would just use my phones mobile data as this is set to always on. Is everybody that has AA working subscribed to the overpriced bmw WiFi?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #119
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowney View Post
Finally got the OTA update. My question is do you have to be subscribed to the WiFi hot-spot service for AA to work? It won't connect to my phone unless it is connected to the cars WiFi. When it does connect nothing works. I assumed that AA would just use my phones mobile data as this is set to always on. Is everybody that has AA working subscribed to the overpriced bmw WiFi?
No, you connect via Wi-Fi Direct as the method of transferring data from your phone to the car. You can use mobile data for internet on your phone. Bluetooth also needs to be on.

What do you mean by nothing works? Are you connecting to the car successfully and seeing AA on the infotainment screen, just without internet access on your phone?

You may need to do both of these:
1. Have mobile data set to always on or 'Switch to mobile data' enabled (preferred). Works on my phone running Android 10 (LG G8).
2. Connect to the car via Wi-Fi Direct and view the IP address (Advanced). Take a screenshot or write it down. Now go to the regular Wi-Fi settings page. Go to the advanced options for the same network and modify the settings. Change from DHCP to Static and enter the IP address from before.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #120
LegalDrugDealer
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Hello,

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to get Android Auto and Google Maps to display fullscreen? Wondering if it would be possible to code this on Bummer code.

From my research online the limiting factor is not Google but the auto manufacturer in implementing the full screen resolution capability.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #121
uvitor
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 320 M-Sport G20

Finally 07/2020.54 showed as an update available!!! I prompted Installed and Android Auto is working as it should.

I'm from Brazil.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 07:55 PM   #122
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

I just got the car back from the dealer after they updated me from 3/2020.69 to 7/2020.60. Not seeing Android Auto in the apps , just Apply CarPlay.

I tried updating apps, resetting iDrive completely, connecting and removing and redoing the WiFi and Bluetooth pairing on my phone (S20 Ultra 5G) and still nothing. I don't see Android Auto at all and my phone keeps showing Android Auto searching but nothing happens, just an error that comes up saying something along the lines of "Something came up. The application has cancelled the request to choose a device".

The only thing I haven't tried is resetting my phone which I don't really want to do. I did hear that a few people had to wait a few days after getting updated for Android Auto to show in iDrive so I'll wait a few days and see what happens.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #123
Astera
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
I just got the car back from the dealer after they updated me from 3/2020.69 to 7/2020.60. Not seeing Android Auto in the apps , just Apply CarPlay.

I tried updating apps, resetting iDrive completely, connecting and removing and redoing the WiFi and Bluetooth pairing on my phone (S20 Ultra 5G) and still nothing. I don't see Android Auto at all and my phone keeps showing Android Auto searching but nothing happens, just an error that comes up saying something along the lines of "Something came up. The application has cancelled the request to choose a device".

The only thing I haven't tried is resetting my phone which I don't really want to do. I did hear that a few people had to wait a few days after getting updated for Android Auto to show in iDrive so I'll wait a few days and see what happens.
I had this exact same problem and solved it by updating apps, but to do this you need to go into the app screen menu bar where CarPlay is well as the BMW apps, and then use the 'Options' button on your centre console to bring up the software menu to update apps. When I did that, Android Auto appeared almost instantly and I could connect my phone (which like you, had been trying to connect to it for the 3 weeks since my software was upgraded)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #124
RoboPapa
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Android phone that works with the BMW Android Auto?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #125
mslam02
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboPapa View Post
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced Android phone that works with the BMW Android Auto?
Once the latest software is pushed out, any phone with android 11 will support wireless android auto - which is whats needed to work with BMWs system (the wireless feature).

Using the workaround in the link below, I was able to use a moto G stylus phone with my 2020 with android auto. This is a ~$150 phone (my current pixel busted so i bought it to bridge myself until the Pixel 5 was released). With this method, any phone with android 10 should work. The link also lists phones that it confirms working (again, once these phones are updated to android 11, the workaround will be no longer needed).

https://www.xda-developers.com/wirel...android-phone/
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #126
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Is there a way to not have android auto start automatically besides disabling bluetooth on the phone?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:32 AM   #127
BigWagonFan
Private
Rep
Drives: G21 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Is there a way to not have android auto start automatically besides disabling bluetooth on the phone?
I think I saw such an option on car screen in Android Auto settings, please check there. I'll able to confirm / take a photo during a weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 04:49 PM   #128
RoboPapa
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslam02 View Post
Once the latest software is pushed out, any phone with android 11 will support wireless android auto - which is whats needed to work with BMWs system (the wireless feature).

Using the workaround in the link below, I was able to use a moto G stylus phone with my 2020 with android auto. This is a ~$150 phone (my current pixel busted so i bought it to bridge myself until the Pixel 5 was released). With this method, any phone with android 10 should work. The link also lists phones that it confirms working (again, once these phones are updated to android 11, the workaround will be no longer needed).

https://www.xda-developers.com/wirel...android-phone/

Thanks for the info.

Is this the phone you are suggesting? I'm very new to Android Phones.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...KL5A1OLE&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #129
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
I had this exact same problem and solved it by updating apps, but to do this you need to go into the app screen menu bar where CarPlay is well as the BMW apps, and then use the 'Options' button on your centre console to bring up the software menu to update apps. When I did that, Android Auto appeared almost instantly and I could connect my phone (which like you, had been trying to connect to it for the 3 weeks since my software was upgraded)
Tried that a bunch of times and it didn't do anything. However I just checked again today and I see Android Auto in iDrive now as soon as I started up the car. So I guess I'm part of the group that had to wait for Android Auto to become available after getting updated to 7/2020.

I usually garage my car so I left it outside all day yesterday and most of today so maybe that made the car able to connect and download AA I guess after about a week. But pretty happy though it seems to work perfectly and the wireless aspect is really convenient since I can just keep my phone in my pocket.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 08:58 AM   #130
Heart1432
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M Sport

Quote:
I think there is an option in the android auto settings on your mobile to disable autolaunch. May be that should help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #131
Heart1432
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M Sport

Android Auto Finally

Hi all just wanted to say that I got android auto finally on my g20. I gave it to the dealer saying the screen doesn't show up sometimes and asked them to check may be an update will solve the problem. That's the only way they will do an update on the idrive software. They updated mine to 07.2020.60 and I had to restart the idrive and android auto popped up right away. I used it for 3 days and looks like there are no issues. Thanks to this forum for all the experiences and thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:34 AM   #132
YoungunG20
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i M-Sport

Quote:
If you select your phone from the drive system.
Either from the home screen or under 'mobile devices' you can disconnect Android Auto.
Then you can reconnect again from the same place.
Appreciate 0