Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Throttle lag. Anyone else?

10-24-2020, 05:41 AM   #23
Steadyslack
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring, Porsche Boxster

I know you said you didn't want to affect the warranty with a gearbox software update but I wonder whether 'they'd' notice?
I updated my 440i GC and the lag was gone. Ł100 and a much more satisfying drive.
      10-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #24
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I think something reversible is probably better like a pedal box. The DME will still pick up a manipulated signal but it doesn't look as bad as a map. In essence it's just changing the distance/travel required on the pedal (so a once inch press is like a two inch press). Where as changing software (re-write or flash) is more permanent (even if restored to oem there is a counter on how many flashes). Nothing urgent. It's back in the garage anyway since we have been told we're working from home from now on.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 04:55 PM   #25
Averti
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x1

I experienced the exact same throttle lag some time ago when I test drove the the 430ix. Slamming on the gas pedal was followed by a hesitation of about 2-3 seconds (!)A 1.0 liter VW Polo’s automatic was more responsive. I asked the BMW dealer (Brussels, Belgium) and he said that this is how the system is set up by BMW to prevent accidents by the involuntary push of the gas pedal. So he said that the system was slow on purpose (!) I found it hard to believe that BMW would dumb down its own transmission. However, it may be true because when I used the pedals on the wheel, the shifts were super quick, so the ZF is capable of quick shifts. I've tried different settings to the engine and the transmission (sport, sport+) but the problem persisted when I wanted to accelerate hard at low revs.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2023, 03:49 AM   #26
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Noticed at a few roundabouts... pressing the pedal... nothing... nothing... GO!

It's less than a second and start stop is off.

Reminds me of when I had my F30 320d. The remap cured it and I adapted my style so I was not always coming to a full stop at a roundabout by default. If it's clear I'd ease off to be safe and continue.

For warranty reasons I don't intend on a throttle map or flash.

Resetting the adaptations has not worked.

I can live with it most the time but wonder how common it is.

Ta
I don’t think you can expect a massively ‘instant’ response from a 320d but as someone mentioned above maybe any delay is exaggerated by the car needing to drop gears to accelerate away - the gearbox is awesome but if the car is ‘coasted’ into a roundabout I suppose it is quite likely to be in a higher gear as you put the pedal down…maybe try experimenting by downshifting on the way in to eliminate any gear selection delay?
Appreciate 0