BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-06-2024, 12:54 PM   #111
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

the fob has a motion sensor but the timeout could be as high as 30 mins. So there is still a vulnerability. seems like that's a moot point as recent thefts indicate thieves are making spare keys with collusion of someone at a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 01:35 PM   #112
pred8er
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
Unless your concern is a bad guy stealing your car while you're walking into the house or store/restaurant, this won't help. Modern BMW keys stop transmitting when they're stationary. So moments after you hang it on your key rack, drop it on your counter or in that bowl by your front door, the threat goes away on its own.
I keep the case with me all the time. I don't open it unless I'm driving.
There are quite a few videos available showing people that will stand outside your house shamelessly and boldly with an antenna to get the key fob signal. They know the cops won't do a thing.

Edit: I bought 2 of the cases. One for the spare which I keep in my safe, and the second I just keep with me and always leave it in there. It's only open when driving.

Last edited by pred8er; 01-06-2024 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 08:23 PM   #113
Rh6363
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Soon to be bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
I keep the case with me all the time. I don't open it unless I'm driving.
There are quite a few videos available showing people that will stand outside your house shamelessly and boldly with an antenna to get the key fob signal. They know the cops won't do a thing.

Edit: I bought 2 of the cases. One for the spare which I keep in my safe, and the second I just keep with me and always leave it in there. It's only open when driving.
Which cases did you get.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:08 AM   #114
BSMG82M4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4 Competition

Garage List
Hello everyone,

Ok, I’ve been using the Dahler Anti Theft for half a year and I love it. A few observations:

1. The only defective way to use this properly is by having the phone app. To leave the remote in the car defeats the purpose.

2. If you set the device to antitheft it will go into antitheft every time after 5 minutes. Your valet will kill you if you don’t remember to set it to valet.

3. The phone thing is annoying if you don’t get in the habit of using your phone for everything. I have the rennline powered magnetic phone mount so when I get in the car my phone becomes part of the display. I also use my phone for my Mode Valve Controller (one of my favorite mods) and Tidal High Def Music (game changer app if you have the Alpha One Speakers). I have my main BMW apps on my main screen of the phone, and trust me it becomes second nature.

4. When I take the car to a shop, I definitely leave the throttle commander in the glove box and lock it.

5. Lastly, hardwire a brickhouse GPS into you system and hide everything. The hardwiring ensures that the battery stays recharged on your tracker. Run the wire somewhere you won’t even remember. Also, don’t use your dealership or a shady bodega installer to do your security. Don’t pay with a credit card and don’t give them your address. Cash only out of state and referred by someone. 9 times out of 10 your being robbed by someone that knows you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:12 AM   #115
BSMG82M4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4 Competition

Garage List
One last thing, I have a black vue dash cam, forward and back with the battery pack that’s always recording. It can also be accessed from my phone. You would spend a half an hour ripping things out of my car only to have to coast at half a mile an hour to get away.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 07:30 AM   #116
fl1by
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80, Raptor, STI and C8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
If I'm a bad guy and I want your car, I'm still going to get it. Bolt cutters should work on the cable. And just like the club, it takes less than 10 seconds to cut through the wheel with a hacksaw and remove it.

Its best bet is as a deterrent. If a bad guy just wants *A* car, he may move on to one where he can save those 10 seconds.
I would bet that the "old school prevention" would throw software hackers/stealers for a loop. They most likely thought they would roll up, key or software entrance and off they go.
Appreciate 0